PSone Laser

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Steamflogger Boss

Re: PSone Laser

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

FinalBaton wrote:I recently set up a chipped ps1 for a friend. There were no Taiyo Yuden/JVC/CMC Pro smaller packs near me, so I picked up the higher tier Verbatim ones made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corp. Those one use a very good dye apparently (their name for it is ''AZO''). I think all Verbatim discs under the DataLifePlus series use that dye? but don't quote me on that. Anyway, it looks like the next best thing

He doen't have a CD-burner yet (i burned him 20 discs to get him started) but when he does I told him to only buy quality discs, preferably those and that I could get them for him (he's not exactly as savvy as us on here regardingthat stuff, and not interested into putting time into researching it. like most(sane) people.)

It was really fun setting up a chipped ps1, I haven't done that in ages. I gave him an official s-video cable (which I tested and looks really great). He's got a 24 inch crt in the basement which I convinced him to pick up, he loves it. now he has a N64 plugged into it via S-video, a ps1 via S-video and a ps2 via component. No switcher required, all hooked up directly to the tv, very clean setup. he probably won't get other consoles, that's it for him
Not a bad gift, official S-video goes for about as much as Retro Access RGB cables.

PS1 does look pretty great that way.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yeah I was surprised at how great it looked on the PVM-2950 (some colour bleed and not as tight as RGB, but very enjoyable)

that official s-video cable I got it on Ebay and it cost me $30 CAD. complete chipped ps1, you can get for $40 CAD any day(or a non-chipped for $25) but I got this one at $60 since the guy was willing to deliver it to my door and it looked like the console was in great shape (and it was : been a while since I saw a ps1 so fresh. was bought new and seldom used according to seller and I can believe it). blank cd-r were $1 each and bought a small stack. so we're looking at a $120 gift.

But i don't mind, he's a great friend. plus, I skipped his last 4 birthday gifs or so, lol
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

What is this grease stuff and where do you apply it? On the rails?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Lithium grease. it's pretty liquid but just foamy enough to stay where you spray it, it doesn't drip too much. just spray some on the rails and move the read head back and forth a couple times.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Best thing to use is a grease designed for printers or scanners.
It will ensure you're not putting something on that will harden with time or attack the plastics.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

Super Lube synthetic grease is my go to for these things. There are better options, like Krytox, bad that is overkill for this application.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
SAM

Post by SAM »

thchardcore wrote:Super Lube synthetic grease is my go to for these things. There are better options, like Krytox, bad that is overkill for this application.
I see. :) Thanks you.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*