Servicing a used KV-32FV300 CRT on my own?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Drunk_Caterpillar

Servicing a used KV-32FV300 CRT on my own?

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar »

Hey Shmups forum,

I recently came in to possession of a 29" Sony WEGA that I'd love to get in to working shape; as much as I love my little PVM-14M2U, it'd be nice to have something a little bigger. Only problem is that the picture quality is... not great. There's geometry issues, what look like convergence and focus issues, and a magenta colour cast. I guess what I wanna know firstly is if issues like this even can be fixed, and if so what can I do?

Before you ask, yes, I'm going to take as much care as possible to ensure that I discharge the CRT before any work happens! I don't wanna electrocute myself either.

Here are some pics I snapped of some test patterns being fed through component by a Wii, running the 240p Test Suite. I'd say they accurately represent what it looks like to my eye.

MKL

Re: Servicing a used KV-32FV300 CRT on my own?

Post by MKL »

Taiyaki

Re: Servicing a used KV-32FV300 CRT on my own?

Post by Taiyaki »

That degree of geometry and convergence can be fixed. It will require both internal knob manipulation and magnets being applied, it could potentially require ring adjustments as well which is not something fun to do. I'm not that good with color calibration but I think you shouldn't have too much difficulty improving it at any rate. There's also a blotch on the screen, I hope that's just dirt that you can wash off. In principle you should be able to get that tv to look great. If you can afford it and don't want to work on the insides of the tv yourself it might be worth having it professionally worked on I'd say. FV300 (and the FV310 for those who aren't fond of blooming) is the cream of the crop for fans of consumer grade aperture grille tubes.