TATE and TV size

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
gs68

TATE and TV size

Post by gs68 »

Is there any advantages to tate'ing a TV whose width (in the upright position, of course) is smaller than the height of the TV I normally use?

My family once had a portable 13" TV and I was thinking of tate'ing it, until my mom gave it away.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Well, some games don't have a proper yoko mode. The few Psikyo games with the infamous wobble-mode, for instance. And others use several filters in yoko, which causes a bit distorted graphics.
elvis

Re: TATE and TV size

Post by elvis »

gs68 wrote:Is there any advantages to tate'ing a TV whose width (in the upright position, of course) is smaller than the height of the TV I normally use?
Sure. You can make it a dedicated tate setup, so you don't have to worry about constantly tateing your normal TV, and then putting it back for TV/movies/other games/etc.
gs68 wrote:My family once had a portable 13" TV and I was thinking of tate'ing it, until my mom gave it away.
Bummer. Still, TV's are getting cheap, man. Here in AU we have 52cm (21") TVs going for AU$130 (US$100) or less! I'm considering buying a bunch for my games room while people are still making CRTs at all. :)
gs68

Post by gs68 »

elvis wrote:
gs68 wrote:Is there any advantages to tate'ing a TV whose width (in the upright position, of course) is smaller than the height of the TV I normally use?
Sure. You can make it a dedicated tate setup, so you don't have to worry about constantly tateing your normal TV, and then putting it back for TV/movies/other games/etc.
I don't see much point in doing that.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

gs68 wrote:
elvis wrote:Sure. You can make it a dedicated tate setup, so you don't have to worry about constantly tateing your normal TV, and then putting it back for TV/movies/other games/etc.
I don't see much point in doing that.
Heh, that's also one of the reasons I got a dedicated tate monitor. It's always a bit of a hassle to flip the TV, wait for 5 minutes, play for a while, then do the flip-wait thing again when you change games. Much simpler this way, and eliminates the possibility of damaging the TV while flipping it.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
elvis

Post by elvis »

gs68 wrote:I don't see much point in doing that.
Speak for yourself. I've got a dedicated tate system running off a 17" monitor, while my standard horizontal cab is on a 21" monitor, and I love them both. :)
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Tate'ing a tiny screen doesn't seem beneficial :?
elvis

Post by elvis »

gs68 wrote:Tate'ing a tiny screen doesn't seem beneficial :?
Are you reading what I'm typing at all?

Pros:
1) dedicated tate setup, no need to regularly tate main househole TV screen and risk unecessary damage.
2) It also means you can play shmups while other people use the TV.

Cons:
1) No size advantage. My 17" tate is identical in screen size to the play area of vertical games on mt 21" horizontal tube.
2) Extra cost (if you don't already have one spare), extra maintenance

So there you go. Some beneficial, and some not so beneficial. You can't argue there are NO benefits. You just have to weigh up the overriding factors for you individually. Can't paint the whole world with one brush, after all.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

elvis wrote: Cons:
1) No size advantage. My 17" tate is identical in screen size to the play area of vertical games on mt 21" horizontal tube.
There is a Pro here, even though your viewable screen will be the same as a 21" horizonal tube, you will actually have better resolution (more lines displayed) because you are in real tate mode.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

elvis wrote:
gs68 wrote:Tate'ing a tiny screen doesn't seem beneficial :?
Are you reading what I'm typing at all?
I am, it's just that until recently I thought people tate'd their TV's just so they could have a bigger picture.