Philips 27PT64 Component input accepting 480i, but no higher

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Charleaux330

Philips 27PT64 Component input accepting 480i, but no higher

Post by Charleaux330 »

Google Drive link to pictures of the TV and service manual

This is an old tv that I had in a storage shed. Its been up there for at least 10 years until now. It crackled a lot when I turned it on, but I was able to get a picture (just some snowy image, because I didn't have anything plugged in). I turned it off, because I didn't like the crackling.

I opened it up and cleaned it out and afterwards I hooked up my Xbox with the official component cables. My Xbox has an aladdin chip and the bios has been flashed. The splash/intro screen on bootup displays fine (480i) via component, but once the Xbox goes to the UnleashX dash and tries to display 480p/720p/1080i the screen is black with blue lines zigzagging across (UnleashX dash is the default blue)

So I'm guessing this is a sync issue?

I haven't tried any other consoles, because I know the xbox works fine in all other resolutions. (Maybe I should try the Wii in 480p just to be safe.)

The tv is suppose to support 480p, 720p and 1080i resolutions. I've used these resolutions in the past with my Xbox 360 via component.

I have a 1954q that I does 240p/480i only and I done a cap replacement on that the other week and the geometry is better on that. So i could definitely do some cap replacements on this TV if it you guys think it needs it, but if possible could anybody help me find out which ones to replace.
Charleaux330

Re: Philips 27PT64 Component input accepting 480i, but no hi

Post by Charleaux330 »

Does nobody have any input on this?

I was able to get into the service menu with the remote and it's giving me an error code of "4" which is MAP I2C Identification Error. That points to a sound chip TDA9853H. The block diagram is on page 47 of the service manual.

The TV says it will display 480p (linedoubled) to 480p, 720p, and 1080i. I'm pretty sure I was able to use these resolution when I first got it using a 360 via component.
buttersoft

Post by buttersoft »

Did you try the Wii at 480p?
Charleaux330

Post by Charleaux330 »

buttersoft wrote:Did you try the Wii at 480p?
Sorry I have not. I should be able to test that out tomorrow.

I pulled the board again today and everything seems to look fine.

That code about the sound chip is the only code it shows and I have sound output at least on the component input.

Any ideas or troubleshooting steps that could be recommended would be helpful.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Looking at the specs this is a 15kHz CRT (SD) with no support for ED/HD resolutions. The Component is only there for better picture quality similar to RGB Scart in Europe.