Analogue Pocket (FPGA GB/GBC/GBA/NGP/LYNX)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Analogue Pocket (FPGA GB/GBC/GBA/NGP/LYNX)

Post by Fudoh »

Just amazing. 2020, $199 (+ LOTS of shipping + taxes).

https://www.analogue.co/pocket/

Optional Docking Station with HDMI output (probably another $100). LCD with 1600x1440px resolution. Fully accessable FPGA for additional cores.

Last edited by Fudoh on Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kez

Re: Analogue Pocket (FPGA GB/GBC/NGP/LYNX)

Post by Kez »

This looks incredible. I think the total cost is gonna end up being pretty huge though, especially outside of the US. The dock is not included but rather an additional accessory.
H6rdc0re

Re: Analogue Pocket (FPGA GB/GBC/NGP/LYNX)

Post by H6rdc0re »

Take my money!!! :D
spmbx

Re: Analogue Pocket (FPGA GB/GBC/GBA/NGP/LYNX)

Post by spmbx »

Looking forward to seeing the actual unit (screen) in action and compared to a biverted gameboy and ags101.
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

So. This is amazing. But the screen - looks more square than the GBA screen, right? Please don't tell me I will black bars on the top and bottom.
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

Also - Analogue - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do another run of the Nt Mini. $1200-$2000 for one on the second-hand market is RIDICULOUS.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

GBA FPGA-based emulation sounds very interesting. That'd be a first, right?

I'm not seeing a grid filter/shader on their preview pictures, but I assume one would be available. I would personally need it for a more authentic look. I'm also assuming they will offer color correction settings for GBC/GBA and other originally non-backlit systems.

It'll also be interesting to see if these are fully compatible with Everdrive cartridges, even if eventually ROM loading is enabled.

Windfish wrote:Also - Analogue - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do another run of the Nt Mini. $1200-$2000 for one on the second-hand market is RIDICULOUS.
I think they'll be doing an 8-bit system soon, as they had copyrighted "Analogue 8" at the same time as they did the Pocket.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Huh, I was under the impression that GBA was too complex for FPGA, but glad I was wrong.

Would have preferred a horizontally oriented system, but maybe they'll do one eventually.

Also would like to have Wonderswan compatibility, but I assume that would need either a rotatable screen or an extra set of buttons, driving up the cost.

Wonder what they'll do after this. TG16/PCE, Neo Geo, PS1? Re-do their NES with a more affordable version?
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I'm curious how the console will handle refresh rates. With planned HDMI output, I expect some kind of trade off.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

It's believed to use the same LCD displays as the Valve Index, which uses 3.5" 1600x1440 LCD panels, just like this thing.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

I play all my handhelds at home. I don't suppose Analogue would make a self-contained version of the dock, would they...
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

One thing that is excellent is the screen is an integer multiple of GB, GBA, and GG, so no scaling artifacts.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

One thing that is excellent is the screen is an integer multiple of GB, GBA, and GG, so no scaling artifacts.
at this resolution it really doesn't matter. 99% of users won't be able to tell the difference between 5x integer + bilinear scale vs. 10x integer.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Those buttons look awfully cramped.

Tetris DX rocks too.

Will the dock output 1440p?
awe444

Post by awe444 »

thebigcheese wrote:One thing that is excellent is the screen is an integer multiple of GB, GBA, and GG, so no scaling artifacts.
For GB and GG, yes it’s an integer multiple (10x), but GBA integer scaling will max out at 6x and will leave black borders on all sides.

320-wide systems like Genesis, if ever supported on this, will be playable in 5x letterboxed. 256-wide (SNES) would be playable at 6x pillarboxed.
Windfish

Post by Windfish »

awe444 wrote:For GB and GG, yes it’s an integer multiple (10x), but GBA integer scaling will max out at 6x and will leave black borders on all sides.
Wow. That's really, really unfortunate to hear about the GBA. I am going to have to see how this looks, then, before I commit to it.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I'd buy one.

Been looking for a decent way of playing some GBA on the TV.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

As mentioned earlier in the thread:

At that resolution, the scaling should be able to start with a clean integer scale and follow up with a billinear scale that fills the screen--with really nice results. Fudoh is right
We apologise for the inconvenience
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I'm impressed by the sanity of going with a high resolution display rather than trying to source some ridiculous low resolution display to display games at "native resolution".
Windfish wrote:
awe444 wrote:For GB and GG, yes it’s an integer multiple (10x), but GBA integer scaling will max out at 6x and will leave black borders on all sides.
Wow. That's really, really unfortunate to hear about the GBA. I am going to have to see how this looks, then, before I commit to it.
1440x960 (6X GBA) bi-linearly scaled to 1600x1068? That scale looks perfect on a much larger screen, on a 3.5" screen you will not be able to tell.

It will look perfect and vastly better than any official GBA or DS system, which all use completely shit screens. I doubt Analogue could source worse screens than Nintendo if they tried.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

It's not completely certain that GB/GBC will allow integer scales either, since it's not clear that the screens have the same pixel aspect ratio.

It doesn't matter, though. At 615 PPI, you'll never be able to tell the difference between an integer scale and an interpolated scale. Maybe even a nearest-neighbour scale.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Man there are some butthurt Analogue haters in here.

This device is going to be amazing!
donluca

Post by donluca »

BazookaBen wrote:Man there are some butthurt Analogue haters in here.

Just to make a quick clarification: if you read through the posts, you won't find a single person saying it is going to suck.
The one and only complain is about how they market their product proudly as "not emulation".

The device, for its specs and how it works (the added FPGA for other cores is a *huge* plus), is absolutely amazing.

Someone noted that the controls might feel a bit cramped and he might be right, but other than that (and the huge shipping costs and taxes for buying outside US) I think they absolutely nailed it.
awe444

Post by awe444 »

ZellSF wrote:I'm impressed by the sanity of going with a high resolution display rather than trying to source some ridiculous low resolution display to display games at "native resolution".
Windfish wrote:
1440x960 (6X GBA) bi-linearly scaled to 1600x1068? That scale looks perfect on a much larger screen, on a 3.5" screen you will not be able to tell.

It will look perfect and vastly better than any official GBA or DS system, which all use completely shit screens. I doubt Analogue could source worse screens than Nintendo if they tried.
Agreed, the integer scale followed by bilinear interpolation to fill would look good enough. It’s the same reason, by the way, that we don’t really need a 4K version of the OSSC, in my opinion.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

BazookaBen wrote:Man there are some butthurt Analogue haters in here.

fuck yeah I'm saving up for the shipping already!
strygo

Post by strygo »

maxtherabbit wrote:fuck yeah I'm saving up for the shipping already!
:P
it290

Post by it290 »

I was pretty meh on this until I saw the dock option. I already have all of these systems in their 'ultimate form' with nice backlit displays (sans GG which I don't really care about), but having a clean way to play GBA and NGPC games on the TV puts it over the edge for me. Just hoping the options/quality of the video output live up to what the builtin display is capable of.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

It also says the dock can be paired with the Analogue DAC, guessing it would be outputting all systems at 240p?
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Guspaz wrote:It's not completely certain that GB/GBC will allow integer scales either, since it's not clear that the screens have the same pixel aspect ratio.

It doesn't matter, though. At 615 PPI, you'll never be able to tell the difference between an integer scale and an interpolated scale. Maybe even a nearest-neighbour scale.
It's a 1600x1440 screen, that's exactly 10x on both axis.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

thebigcheese wrote:
Guspaz wrote:It's not completely certain that GB/GBC will allow integer scales either, since it's not clear that the screens have the same pixel aspect ratio.

It's a 1600x1440 screen, that's exactly 10x on both axis.
That wouldn't have helped had the screen not used square pixels, but looking at the display in teardowns of the Valve Index (which is believed to use two of the same LCD panels), it does look like a 11:10 aspect ratio display.
davidwhangchoi

Post by davidwhangchoi »

are the shoulder buttons awkward?