Analogue Pocket (FPGA GB/GBC/GBA/NGP/LYNX)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Bratwurst

Re: Analogue Pocket (FPGA GB/GBC/GBA/NGP/LYNX)

Post by Bratwurst »

thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

bobrocks95 wrote:$30 shipping was enough to turn me off on a Super NT impulse buy. Unless they're using 2-day shipping (pretty sure they're not) I thought at the time that they just wanted to hit that $199 on everything and then absorb some costs by charging more than double what they should be on shipping. At the time that was enough to make me iffy on them.
Mine was FedEx 2-day. I'd say I didn't pay specifically for that, but there aren't options, so I guess I did pay for that. It seems to be a flat rate, though, as it's the same shipping charge for just a cable. A $16 cable. I didn't mind it on the Pocket, especially since it ended up being 2-day FedEx, but that's absurd on a cable. If they're going to have cheaper accessories like that, they really need to rethink that.
strygo

Post by strygo »

I just received confirmation that my initial order for the handheld and dock (at 8:02) and the second order for the case/GG adapter (at 8:15) are both in Group A. It will be interesting to hear when the approximate cutoff for Group B is.

Here’s to hoping Q1 means January and not late March!
PixelDharma

Post by PixelDharma »

strygo wrote:I just received confirmation that my initial order for the handheld and dock (at 8:02) and the second order for the case/GG adapter (at 8:15) are both in Group A. It will be interesting to hear when the approximate cutoff for Group B is.

I ordered a pocket at 8:11 and got Group B. Rip.
strygo

Post by strygo »

PixelDharma wrote: I ordered a pocket at 8:11 and got Group B. Rip.
Interesting. There must not be many units in Group A (my order numbers were about 15,000 apart). I imagine the accessories were in much lower demand.
daty2k1

Post by daty2k1 »

Was there at 8, lost a few minutes due to the queue. Order processed at 8:08 and still group B... :(

It's gonna be a very long wait.
KonradKlaus

Post by KonradKlaus »

strygo wrote:I just received confirmation that my initial order for the handheld and dock (at 8:02) and the second order for the case/GG adapter (at 8:15) are both in Group A. It will be interesting to hear when the approximate cutoff for Group B is.

My order was also at 8:02 at got group B :/ BUT HEY, at least I could give them my money this time, haha.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Got the email at 8:13 and got group B. Slightly held up by a stupid captcha.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

ldeveraux wrote:
Johnpv wrote:They never said they were never going to make more pockets. In fact they've always said there would be more. Only the NT Minis and NT Mini Noirs were ever said to be limited products.
I'm just gving another reason why people hate Analogue and wouldn't buy this product. Myself very much included.
Do or don't buy what ever you want, but you're stating something that isn't true as the reason people won't buy it.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Johnpv wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:
Johnpv wrote:They never said they were never going to make more pockets. In fact they've always said there would be more. Only the NT Minis and NT Mini Noirs were ever said to be limited products.
I'm just gving another reason why people hate Analogue and wouldn't buy this product. Myself very much included.
Do or don't buy what ever you want, but you're stating something that isn't true as the reason people won't buy it.
I don't think that's correct. proof?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

It doesn't, the label on a Game Boy cart sits below the outer plastic surface in an indent. A flat surface scraping along the cartridge surface would touch the plastic and not the label. The only way for what's seen in that photo to happen is if the corner of the label was already lifted/peeling before the cartridge was inserted, and then you would have that risk with any cartridge slot.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

ldeveraux wrote:I don't think that's correct. proof?
At least as far back as February: https://www.analogue.co/announcements/2 ... d-editions. They go in some detail to specify that it is not intended to be a limited product. There's also this tweet from shortly after the original round sold out: https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1290305407034916866. That is as far as I care to scroll through Twitter.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

ldeveraux wrote: I don't think that's correct. proof?
Proof of what? The only product they've ever said were limited were the Analogue NT, NT Mini, and NT Mini Noir, and some limited colors. The Super NT and Mega SG were both readily available, with short periods of being sold out, but they've always come back. Hell until the pocket went back up for pre-order you could still buy a Mega SG but the Super NT had sold out. More are coming. With the pocket after initial pre-order sold out they even said back then there would be more. They have NEVER said this was a limited product, or the Super NT, or Mega SG. How about you prove where they said the Pocket or those other 2 systems were limited? Hell with the Mega SG and Super NT you could still pre-order them up till the day before they shipped and you got one.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Johnpv wrote:
ldeveraux wrote: I don't think that's correct. proof?
Proof of what? The only product they've ever said were limited were the Analogue NT, NT Mini, and NT Mini Noir, and some limited colors. The Super NT and Mega SG were both readily available, with short periods of being sold out, but they've always come back. Hell until the pocket went back up for pre-order you could still buy a Mega SG but the Super NT had sold out. More are coming. With the pocket after initial pre-order sold out they even said back then there would be more. They have NEVER said this was a limited product, or the Super NT, or Mega SG. How about you prove where they said the Pocket or those other 2 systems were limited? Hell with the Mega SG and Super NT you could still pre-order them up till the day before they shipped and you got one.
I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying they claim they will never release products again (Analogue NT et al) to ensure that round sells out, then go back on their word and release more consoles. It's a marketing strategy, and a very good one, but also they are shitheads.

FWIW I randomly googled Kevtris and this came up:
https://www.inputmag.com/gaming/is-analogue-evil
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

ldeveraux wrote: I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying they claim they will never release products again (Analogue NT et al) to ensure that round sells out, then go back on their word and release more consoles. It's a marketing strategy, and a very good one, but also they are shitheads.

FWIW I randomly googled Kevtris and this came up:
https://www.inputmag.com/gaming/is-analogue-evil
They did that once with the NT Mini. There is no et al. The only products they've called limited have been the Analogue NT, NT Mini and the Noir. Which didn't even get second runs right away, The NT Mini came out in January of 2017 and the Noir came out in 2020. It's not like they announced the NT Mini, called it limited, sold out, and then 6 months later announced more.

Plus I don't get being pissed about a limited product getting another run.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Johnpv wrote:Plus I don't get being pissed about a limited product getting another run.
Wait a second, I think I've been looking at this completely backwards. Did they intentionally short the supply to drive up demand/price, or was it simply a matter of batch productions? They could only create a few of these at a time and were hoping to get to more units?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I don't get the hate for Analogue. Dislike? Sure. Hate? I don't really think they've done anything that egregious.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

Mine arrived yesterday and I’m pretty pleased so far. The screen is beautiful and they do a great job of invoking the feel of the OG hardware without the drawbacks. Motion clarity is way better. I’ve been using an AGB-001 with an AGS-101 screen for years but it’ll be retired to the shelf now.

And yeah I can’t see how it’d scrape a label that’s not already lifting. The cart slot is great with no wobble despite being pretty shallow and no death grip either. Feels solid even with the tall GG adapter.

Much less impressive is the dock. Currently is a much worse experience than using a GB player with GBI. Hope the updates come fast for it as analogue have been pretty terrible in this regard in the past.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

EnragedWhale wrote:Much less impressive is the dock. Currently is a much worse experience than using a GB player with GBI. Hope the updates come fast for it as analogue have been pretty terrible in this regard in the past.
Haven't heard much about the dock. Is framerate off? Picture not very sharp? Scaling, wrong aspect ratio, or other issues?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

bobrocks95 wrote:
EnragedWhale wrote:Much less impressive is the dock. Currently is a much worse experience than using a GB player with GBI. Hope the updates come fast for it as analogue have been pretty terrible in this regard in the past.
Haven't heard much about the dock. Is framerate off? Picture not very sharp? Scaling, wrong aspect ratio, or other issues?
Framerate options? None. Sharp/bilinear (or whatever)/things like 3x different screen modes like the Pocket itself actually has built-in and working? Nope. Scaling options? Nope. Aspect rate options? Nope.

You can literally choose 480p, 720p, or 1080p as options.

Not a single other video option. Nothing else. Not even joking. NOTHING. ...and yet the ENTIRE point of the Dock is for video output on screens other than the built-in tiny one, which we thought would have similar options to their 3x other consoles... but it has nothing at launch. You can't even use the $100 optional DAC with it - not compatible right now.

Controller options? (the other half of what the Dock is designed for) - you can't even pair anything else but a mere 3x types of controllers (8BitDo, PS4, Switch) - but even with those you can't map the buttons as you want because that option doesn't exist in the menu right now...
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Wow that's pretty miserly for a $100 accessory. I'm not a handheld player mainly due to discomfort holding most portables, so I'm not the target audience, but hard to imagine people feel good about that purchase right now. I thought it looked kinda dumb standing up in the dock myself :D
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I wouldn't even bother with a Dock because we already have strictly better options for playing those systems on larger displays, even if the Dock had all of the user settings that it should have had on launch.

The Pocket only makes sense to me for the nice portable experience and the LCD emulation that the screen can do. It just needs to allow using the original systems' bootroms, and to add color correction, and it should become my go-to for playing those handheld systems.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

fernan1234 wrote:I wouldn't even bother with a Dock because we already have strictly better options for playing those systems on larger displays, even if the Dock had all of the user settings that it should have had on launch.

The Pocket only makes sense to me for the nice portable experience and the LCD emulation that the screen can do. It just needs to allow using the original systems' bootroms, and to add color correction, and it should become my go-to for playing those handheld systems.
If the dock offered expansive options and all the promised cart adapters work out it would still be an appealing option from the standpoint of supporting all 5 consoles with original cartridges. A Gameboy Player and GBI remains a great option for those with the hardware and an upscaler who just want the Gameboy lineup, but for people starting from scratch or wanting all 5 consoles, the pocket could potentially offer an appealing package. I don't know how small that niche is but it could work for someone.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

bobrocks95 wrote:If the dock offered expansive options and all the promised cart adapters work out it would still be an appealing option from the standpoint of supporting all 5 consoles with original cartridges. A Gameboy Player and GBI remains a great option for those with the hardware and an upscaler who just want the Gameboy lineup, but for people starting from scratch or wanting all 5 consoles, the pocket could potentially offer an appealing package. I don't know how small that niche is but it could work for someone.
Yeah I agree, if it offered the same options as the MiSTer or even just the GBA Consolizer. The MiSTer cores have a couple of pretty crucial QoL features like Fastforward, which makes a huge difference for saving time with slow games. They also have other nice ones like CPU turbo mode, rewind, etc. I could live without those as long as all the other basic stuff is covered though.
EnragedWhale

Post by EnragedWhale »

Yeah others have covered the flaws pretty well. Worse part for me is the judder caused by the mismatched refresh. I will point out analogue have promised an extensive firmware update for the dock in early ‘22 so it’s a bit early to write it off completely.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

ldeveraux wrote:
Johnpv wrote:Plus I don't get being pissed about a limited product getting another run.
Wait a second, I think I've been looking at this completely backwards. Did they intentionally short the supply to drive up demand/price, or was it simply a matter of batch productions? They could only create a few of these at a time and were hoping to get to more units?

They never shorted the supply to drive up demand. They always said there would be more batches, just like everything else they've made except for the NT Mini stuff. They make X number of units and when those get low or sold out they have more made. After the initial pre-order of the pocket they always said there would be more batches.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Johnpv wrote:
ldeveraux wrote:

They never shorted the supply to drive up demand. They always said there would be more batches, just like everything else they've made except for the NT Mini stuff. They make X number of units and when those get low or sold out they have more made. After the initial pre-order of the pocket they always said there would be more batches.
Well I can't hate them for that. I thought they were releasing small batches of "ultra limited rare never to be produced again get em while they exist" consoles, then magically finding more.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

thebigcheese wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:$30 shipping was enough to turn me off on a Super NT impulse buy. Unless they're using 2-day shipping (pretty sure they're not) I thought at the time that they just wanted to hit that $199 on everything and then absorb some costs by charging more than double what they should be on shipping. At the time that was enough to make me iffy on them.
Mine was FedEx 2-day. I'd say I didn't pay specifically for that, but there aren't options, so I guess I did pay for that. It seems to be a flat rate, though, as it's the same shipping charge for just a cable. A $16 cable. I didn't mind it on the Pocket, especially since it ended up being 2-day FedEx, but that's absurd on a cable. If they're going to have cheaper accessories like that, they really need to rethink that.
Try importing to the U.K. - shipping / getting through customs came to over half again as much as the actual system :lol:

Seriously though, I don't dislike Analogue - I have both the Super NT and Mega SD (I went the AVS route for NES) and they are great products, and at the time there was nothing like them.

Having recently joined the Mister club, I doubt I will ever have call to purchase another of their products again; I certainly have no interest in the pocket as I was never a huge hand-held gamer at the best of times.

Do I think they need to change their stance on this limited orders idea? Yes for sure; they no longer have the monopoly on the FPGA market and people will simply look elsewhere (at the moment the less tech-savvy people seem a little daunted by the Mister, which is why they go to these easy plug and play options, but as user interfaces improve and more and as pre-built Misters become more readily available and I hear there's a new console version coming out, this will change). I can't say they've done anything dreadful though, its not T.O territory.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

ldeveraux wrote: Well I can't hate them for that. I thought they were releasing small batches of "ultra limited rare never to be produced again get em while they exist" consoles, then magically finding more.
No, that never happened.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Flashman wrote:Do I think they need to change their stance on this limited orders idea? Yes for sure;
What limited orders idea? The Analogue Pocket is in open pre-orders where new orders just get their units later. Pre-orders have been continually open for almost two weeks now.