Analogue Pocket (FPGA GB/GBC/GBA/NGP/LYNX)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
orange808

Re: Analogue Pocket (FPGA GB/GBC/GBA/NGP/LYNX)

Post by orange808 »

fernan1234 wrote:I only wish there could be an option for original refresh rate output with it. Maybe that'll be one of the updates Woozle mentioned?
I remember reading that feature was already included.

Am I misinformed?
We apologise for the inconvenience
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

fernan1234 wrote:The GBA consolizer on the other hand is a sure purchase eventually when sellers have it on hand. I only wish there could be an option for original refresh rate output with it. Maybe that'll be one of the updates Woozle mentioned?
The downsides for the GBA Consolizer for me are:

60Hz
720p Only (no easy way to get 240p or 480p)
HDMI only (so no easy way to get RGB on a broadcast monitor)

Technically you could do something about the 720p only and HDMI only thing, but you would need to buy additional processors to downscale 720p to 240p and convert HDMI to YPbPr.

The Analogue Pocket when paired with the Analogue DAC should remidate to all of these quite easily.

orange808 wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:I only wish there could be an option for original refresh rate output with it. Maybe that'll be one of the updates Woozle mentioned?
I remember reading that feature was already included.

Am I misinformed?
It's not, last I heard it's 60Hz only. From what I understand, this was done because of the HDMI only nature of the GBA Consolizer, digital displays won't like 59.73Hz very much, whereas a CRT shouldn't have a problem with it.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Looks really cool and I'm looking forward to using it as a console, but i have my doubts over ergonomics. Just hope it's comfortable on the hands. Everything else is looking good.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

I really hope a TG16/PCE core and adapter (which would probably be another $100 or so since I assume it would need a region switch) is released so this can function as a replacement for the Turbo Express.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Lawfer wrote:Technically you could do something about the 720p only and HDMI only thing, but you would need to buy additional processors to downscale 720p to 240p and convert HDMI to YPbPr.

The Analogue Pocket when paired with the Analogue DAC should remidate to all of these quite easily.
If your broadcast monitor is multisync you can just display the 720p natively. I'll only know for sure when I try, but I expect that the grid "scanlines" will look nice even on a CRT at that resolution.

Honestly I don't really care for these portable systems in 240p, since their graphics were designed for an LCD with very low pixel densities, not a CRT picture with the double strike technique.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Lawfer wrote: It's not, last I heard it's 60Hz only. From what I understand, this was done because of the HDMI only nature of the GBA Consolizer, digital displays won't like 59.73Hz very much, whereas a CRT shouldn't have a problem with it.
That's mostly true.

Although, there are plenty of HDMI displays that gladly accept a wide range of refresh rates.

I'm certainly a niche customer, but all my gaming displays should handle that just fine.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

fernan1234 wrote:
Lawfer wrote:Technically you could do something about the 720p only and HDMI only thing, but you would need to buy additional processors to downscale 720p to 240p and convert HDMI to YPbPr.

If your broadcast monitor is multisync you can just display the 720p natively. I'll only know for sure when I try, but I expect that the grid "scanlines" will look nice even on a CRT at that resolution.

Honestly I don't really care for these portable systems in 240p, since their graphics were designed for an LCD with very low pixel densities, not a CRT picture with the double strike technique.
I only have a 4:3 broadcast monitor though, but it does do 720p (letterboxed) native, though you'll still need to get additional hardware to convert HDMI to YPbPr.
Kez

Post by Kez »

fernan1234 wrote:If your broadcast monitor is multisync you can just display the 720p natively. I'll only know for sure when I try, but I expect that the grid "scanlines" will look nice even on a CRT at that resolution.

I tried this out a few weeks ago on my D20, and it does look pretty good. Snapped a few shots on my phone though wasn't really planning to share them so pardon the poor quality:

https://imgur.com/a/T3CqAli
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Kez wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:If your broadcast monitor is multisync you can just display the 720p natively. I'll only know for sure when I try, but I expect that the grid "scanlines" will look nice even on a CRT at that resolution.

I tried this out a few weeks ago on my D20, and it does look pretty good. Snapped a few shots on my phone though wasn't really planning to share them so pardon the poor quality:

https://imgur.com/a/T3CqAli
That does look pretty good. I'd probably try making the grid lines as dark as possible.
tomwhite2004

Post by tomwhite2004 »

orange808 wrote:I remember reading that feature was already included.

Am I misinformed?
At 22:15 this is discussed, you can indeed play at the original refresh rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NcMl9JvMHE
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

tomwhite2004 wrote:
orange808 wrote:I remember reading that feature was already included.

Am I misinformed?
At 22:15 this is discussed, you can indeed play at the original refresh rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NcMl9JvMHE
Yeah I remember that part, but didn't mention it because Woozle kinda alluded that he doesn't really recommend doing this as as they say in the video "it needs more testing" plus they also say that the current current firmware does not even support it. Maybe Woozle might offer later on a firmware that allows for 59.73Hz.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

I was partially misinformed. Thanks for the link. :)

Looks like Woozle is concerned about gamers with bad displays having issues with refresh rates.

At the very least, I'd like to see the machine always default to 60Hz and offer a "non-sticky" option to enable native refresh until the next power cycle. While inconvenient--that would prevent users from getting "stuck" with a blank output screen, because a simple power cycle would restore compatibility.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

orange808 wrote:I was partially misinformed. Thanks for the link. :)

Looks like Woozle is concerned about gamers with bad displays having issues with refresh rates.

At the very least, I'd like to see the machine always default to 60Hz and offer a "non-sticky" option to enable native refresh until the next power cycle. While inconvenient--that would prevent users from getting "stuck" with a blank output screen, because a simple power cycle would restore compatibility.
He should handle it like everything else does- change the refresh rate and then give users 10 seconds to confirm that they can see an image.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

The 59.7hz mode is coded and I'll have the FPGA bit file up on my website and game-tech.us within a week or two. I'm keeping it as two separate bit files (one for 60hz and one for 59.7hz) because supporting both modes in one bit file requires some funky stuff with the FPGA clock circuits and I'd rather not have that in the design.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

I'd like to see PocketStation core for this, and I wonder if a custom PlayStation memory card adapter could be made (Not sure which makes the most sense; GB link port, USB port, or something that fits in the cartridge slot) to allow the AP to communicate with a PS1. VMU support would also be neat, since it would mean not needing to replace CR2032s every few hours.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Woozle wrote:The 59.7hz mode is coded and I'll have the FPGA bit file up on my website and game-tech.us within a week or two. I'm keeping it as two separate bit files (one for 60hz and one for 59.7hz) because supporting both modes in one bit file requires some funky stuff with the FPGA clock circuits and I'd rather not have that in the design.
This is why I will forever support Woozle's products. The clear and personable responses that directly address a customer issue/request, with a no-BS reason to "the why" is how you foster customer trust and loyalty.
A lot of people could take page out of Woozle's book. Keep rocking on, man!
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Woozle wrote:The 59.7hz mode is coded and I'll have the FPGA bit file up on my website and game-tech.us within a week or two. I'm keeping it as two separate bit files (one for 60hz and one for 59.7hz) because supporting both modes in one bit file requires some funky stuff with the FPGA clock circuits and I'd rather not have that in the design.
So do you need to hard mod the GBA Consolizer like it was said in the video posted earlier or you just need to install the specific firmware?
Woozle

Post by Woozle »

opt2not wrote:
This is why I will forever support Woozle's products. The clear and personable responses that directly address a customer issue/request, with a no-BS reason to "the why" is how you foster customer trust and loyalty.
A lot of people could take page out of Woozle's book. Keep rocking on, man!
Thanks for the kind words.
Lawfer wrote:
So do you need to hard mod the GBA Consolizer like it was said in the video posted earlier or you just need to install the specific firmware?
You would just need to reprogram the flash chip on the consolizer using a jtag cable. The new case design allows for a tool-free FW update (just need a jtag cable).
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Woozle wrote:You would just need to reprogram the flash chip on the consolizer using a jtag cable. The new case design allows for a tool-free FW update (just need a jtag cable).
That's great, thanks a ton for releasing a 59.73Hz firmware, can't wait to get my GBA Consolizer.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Lawfer wrote:
Woozle wrote:You would just need to reprogram the flash chip on the consolizer using a jtag cable. The new case design allows for a tool-free FW update (just need a jtag cable).
That's great, thanks a ton for releasing a 59.73Hz firmware, can't wait to get my GBA Consolizer.
Same.

@Woozle: Is the plan currently for game-tech (the only seller?) to only do pre-orders, or is board production expected to reach regular in-stock availability at some point?
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

figured id necro this before starting a new thread - is anyone preordering this today? im still on the fence. i own everdrive solutions for most of this, along with an upscaler for best quality out. the ngpc solution is exciting as i wonder how itll compare to woozles. i guess jailbreaking on this is inevitable, i could keep this in the main room. i kinda wish this could offer low res video out without a dock
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

tried to preorder. had everything in stock. then the "checking shipping options" took forever... then... OUT OF STOCK. shitty company making 100 items for preorder.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

I ordered one. Like with most Analogue purchases I feel kinda dirty afterwards but it usually passes in the months it takes to get the product.
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

First I added the console, then the dock, then screen protector, then this, then that, oh MIDI cables need those (literally never ran anything MIDI in my life). Cart was well over 400 before shipping and then had a moment of clarity. I'm a purist, even if that means slapping different video out boards that weren't intended on original hardware. Hope people play the hell outta theres and enjoy it :)
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Since their shipping costs are crazy marked up (was going to be $50), I was sharing an order with a co-worker and we tried to order two. Sold out before I could check out. This was 8 minutes after pre-orders opened. I don't know why they set such a small limit, just shift the estimated delivery date back as you take more orders.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Didn't intend to place an order today, since the release date is so far off, but for my understanding, why do they advertise preorders to open at 8am PST, and then open up orders an hour early at 7am PST ?

PST means pacific standard time, doesn't it ? Checking https://time.is/PST 8am would be now (instead of an hours ago). An hour ago was 8am in LA, but LA isn't PST, but PST+1, or not ?
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

I decided to pass, the cartridge adapters were a little too pricey and I think I'm pretty happy playing the original systems to be honest.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Fudoh wrote:Didn't intend to place an order today, since the release date is so far off, but for my understanding, why do they advertise preorders to open at 8am PST, and then open up orders an hour early at 7am PST ?

PST means pacific standard time, doesn't it ? Checking https://time.is/PST 8am would be now (instead of an hours ago). An hour ago was 8am in LA, but LA isn't PST, but PST+1, or not ?
I was also confused, but when I checked time zones this morning, 8 am PST equated to 11 am eastern time. I suspect the confusion is because they listed it as PST even though we are, at least in most of the US, using daylight time (aka PDT and EDT). Maybe they did that to make it make more sense for non-US shoppers, but it's still an odd choice to use a time standard that isn't currently active. Or maybe I'm misreading it, but either way, it was only a 3-hour difference for me when I thought it should have been 4.

I did manage to get in a preorder, though, like many, the shipping took forever to populate. Only ended up being $20 for me, which still seems like a lot but certainly not as much as it is for some people. Although I have an IPS-modded GBA, I'm primarily excited about using this for Game Gear. I don't have a modded Game Gear and there aren't a lot of good non-emulator ways to play Game Gear games, so it'll be nice to actually have a reason to play those games again. I don't think I've even touched them since I bought them like 20 years ago. The screen is, apparently, able to refresh at whatever refresh rate they want, so it should be able to match the original capabilities. It'll be a nice all-in-one "retro" handheld for me. I did not get a dock because honestly I have given up on the idea of playing handhelds on the big screen. I'm sure it'll work well, but really the only reason I wanted to play them on the big screen was because the portable screens were so bad.
KonradKlaus

Post by KonradKlaus »

I wanted to pre order. I was an hour late... but I figured ya know, preordering something for next May it wouldn't be limited. Of course... that wasn't the case. Although, I am sure they'll open preorders back up... I mean... they wouldn't literally leave money on the table... right? Wouldn't want to create a scalper market... right?
PixelPhoenix

Post by PixelPhoenix »

I gave it a pass myself. After considering all peripherals, the price is just a little bit outside my comfort zone. Shipping prices took me back a bit too, and I ended up talking myself out of it.