Analogue Pocket (FPGA GB/GBC/GBA/NGP/LYNX)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
tacoguy64

Re: Analogue Pocket (FPGA GB/GBC/GBA/NGP/LYNX)

Post by tacoguy64 »

And here i am thinking this wasn't going to be a limited item and we can have time to make our pre orders lol.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

From the order numbers, it would appear that they had a cap of something like 12k-15k orders, with a limit of two units per order.
low_budget

Post by low_budget »

deleted post
Last edited by low_budget on Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

low_budget wrote:I don't understand why anybody would put $250-$400 upfront and wait an entire year or more on a GAMEBOY. Do people not know about upgraded GBA LCD screens or how to install them? Just make your own analogue pocket with a $30 used GBA and $50 screen upgrade.

Is it really necessary to have a 1440 screeen that has 100 pixels to represent each pixel of the original gameboy?

no need to support a company run by a pathalogical liar narsissist that takes advantage of contributions by the retro community for his own profit.

have fun waiting! I'll be taking bets on how late the systems will actually ship, and how many foreign transaction fees and ripoff shipping rates are added.
The sad part is they will all sell out. Even when they rerelease after saying they never will, those will sell out too.
PixelPhoenix

Post by PixelPhoenix »

Guspaz wrote:From the order numbers, it would appear that they had a cap of something like 12k-15k orders, with a limit of two units per order.
Interesting. I like to avoid the initial rush which is why I stepped back this time, but I wouldn't mind revisiting it when pre-orders go live again. Hopefully we see a larger quantity next time.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

low_budget wrote:I don't understand why anybody would put $250-$400 upfront and wait an entire year or more on a GAMEBOY. Do people not know about upgraded GBA LCD screens or how to install them? Just make your own analogue pocket with a $30 used GBA and $50 screen upgrade.

Is it really necessary to have a 1440 screeen that has 100 pixels to represent each pixel of the original gameboy?

no need to support a company run by a pathalogical liar narsissist that takes advantage of contributions by the retro community for his own profit.

have fun waiting! I'll be taking bets on how late the systems will actually ship, and how many foreign transaction fees and ripoff shipping rates are added.
clap.gif
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Things a used $30 GBA with a $50 screen upgrade can't do:

- Scale GB/GBC games to full screen
- Remap buttons
- Play GameGear games
- Play Lynx games
- Play Neo Geo Pocket games
- Play other 16-bit consoles via future FPGA cores
- Connect to USB/BT/2.4g wireless controllers
- Connect to a 1080p HDMI display
- Connect to a CRT via a DAC
- Simulate the displays of the different consoles
- Load ROMs off a micro SD card (this will be true for third party cores, and probably GB/GBC/GBA via jailbreak)
- Charge over USB

Some of these can be accomplished with other GBA mods, some of them can be partially accomplished with the consolizer combined with other accessories, but no other product can do all of that with a single handheld/dock combo. And if you tried to accomplish as much of this as possible with existing mods, considering you'd need two different GBAs (one modded handheld and one consolized), you'd end up spending almost as much as the Pocket.

It's not appropriate for all users and all use cases. If all you want to do is play GBA games on the go with a nice screen, there is certainly a cheaper way to do that. But if you want to have a more versatile handheld with good quality support for multiple consoles, which can also be played on the big screen, a GBA with an IPS display doesn't do that.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

While I did not get the dock, those pretty well sum up why I ordered one. I already have an IPS GBA, there are just a lot of other nice features the Pocket has.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

I figured if I don't want to mod a GBA myself, a backlit GBA SP AGS-101 model is like $120 + shipping minimum on eBay (and most are still REALLY jacked-up, scratched, gouged). A regular non-folding one with IPS screen installed is maybe $150. Need an Everdrive on top of that (which is cheaper than the ~4 or 5 main games from my childhood I would be playing)...

...So the Analogue Pocket is kinda cheaper all around (assuming it gets a jailbreak firmware like the last 3x of their systems) and you get a whole shitton more features and usability. Plus it's brand new and has a super high resale value if I end up never using it.

The dock is what did it for me though - I don't think I've ever played my Switch for more than ~10 minutes at a time handheld (bathroom breaks, don't judge lol) so that's going to add a whole bunch of functionality to it for me.

For the order time, 8am PST meant 11am EST to me, so I was up at 10:45am on the east coast refreshing the site and it wasn't able to be added to my cart until 10:59 for me. Adding shipping ($23.80 for 2x of them w/ docks - which is reasonable) did take about 8 minutes of 'processing' with me refreshing it a couple times. Got confirmation email at 11:08 EST.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

Yeah, try to price it out for equivalent functionality, taking options to minimize DIY effort (there will still be some soldering required unless you want to pay even more for a modder to install it all), and refurbish to a good state, and you get something like this (ignoring any additional system compatibility beyond GB/GBC/GBA):

Equivalent Functionality
GBA AGB-001: $40 (eBay)
USB battery/charger: $40 (Hand Held Legend)
Funnyplaying IPS v2 screen kit: $63 (Hand Held Legend)
Pre-modified shell: $20 (Hand Held Legend)
Audio amp/speaker: $11 (Hand Held Legend)
Replacement rubber contacts: $2 (Hand Held Legend)
Everdrive GBA: $99 (Stone Age Gamer)
Everdrive GB/GBC: $89 (Stone Age Gamer)
GBA Consolizer pre-assembled: $349.95
Total: $713.95

Analogue Pocket
Console: $199.99
Dock: $99.99
Total: $299.98

So, uh... The Analogue version is much less than half the cost and requires zero soldering/assembly. You might say, why not use the kit version of the consolizer? Well, that only knocks off around $170, so the Analogue approach is still around half the cost, and now you've either got to pay somebody to mod it for you, or do it yourself. Doesn't really change anything.

Why include the upgraded handheld GBA? Because without it you can't use your handheld console portable. Why include the consolizer? Because without it you can't use your handheld console on a TV. Why include all the upgrades? Because if you don't, you're missing functionality the Pocket has built-in.

As expensive as the Analogue Pocket is, it's way cheaper than the DIY approach unless you want something extremely basic that is not remotely equivalent to what you get with the Pocket.
low_budget

Post by low_budget »

deleted post
Last edited by low_budget on Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Guspaz wrote:Yeah, try to price it out for equivalent functionality, taking options to minimize DIY effort (there will still be some soldering required unless you want to pay even more for a modder to install it all), and refurbish to a good state, and you get something like this (ignoring any additional system compatibility beyond GB/GBC/GBA):

Equivalent Functionality

This also only gets you GB/C/A covered, and only 720p to your tv. You still need to price out game gear, lynx and ngpc setups.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

low_budget wrote:I don't understand why anybody would put $250-$400 upfront and wait an entire year or more on a GAMEBOY.
This is not a "GAMEBOY"... And people had to wait a similarly long period of time for their GBA Consolizer pre-order to ship.

low_budget wrote:Do people not know about upgraded GBA LCD screens or how to install them? Just make your own analogue pocket with a $30 used GBA and $50 screen upgrade.
As if this was the only thing the Analogue Pocket had to offer, the Analogue Pocket let's you do many things that official hardware doesn't, like the ability to play games from 6 different consoles (Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Color and Atari Lynx) at their original refresh rate, it also allows you to play them either on a modern TV at 1080p (with the use of the Analogue Dock) or on a CRT (with the use of the Analogue Dock + the Analogue DAC), this amongst other few things that you can not get or do from official hardware such as playing games from a Micro SD card with jailbreak firmware.

low_budget wrote:Speaking of promises, did Analogue ever release working gamegear & master system adapters for the analogue sg?
You mean the Mega SG and yes they did.

Johnpv wrote:
Guspaz wrote:Yeah, try to price it out for equivalent functionality, taking options to minimize DIY effort (there will still be some soldering required unless you want to pay even more for a modder to install it all), and refurbish to a good state, and you get something like this (ignoring any additional system compatibility beyond GB/GBC/GBA):

Equivalent Functionality

This also only gets you GB/C/A covered, and only 720p to your tv. You still need to price out game gear, lynx and ngpc setups.
Also no CRT output capabilities, the probability of digital audio output working is quite low and updating firmware is a pain and too difficult for average joe's.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Let's be real. The number of people going to be using this with a CRT are small in number.
The Dock is an extra 100$ to get TV output. That's not value.

You can get a good GBA for far less than 200$ that will cover the GB/GBC/GBA library with real carts. (They won't open source their own FPGA emulators. As much as they are using their typical marketing hype to sell that point)

If you care about piracy or non game boy systems (Which will add another 90$ to that price tag if you want to use real carts) that much, an RG350p is 80$ and will emulate all these systems with a 240p display (Or a 480p display with the pricier model for more scaling options)with 1:1 pixel mapping options and 99% of people won't be able to see any difference vs an FPGA emulated system.

This is overpriced , the design doesn't look any better than any of the cheap Chinese handhelds out there and much like Limited Run Crap using artificial supply to drive up demand.
16$ for a screen protector? 30$ for a case?
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Lawfer wrote:
low_budget wrote:Speaking of promises, did Analogue ever release working gamegear & master system adapters for the analogue sg?
You mean the Mega SG and yes they did.
Master System: yes
Game Gear: no
(and to the best of my knowledge, the "Mega Sg Cartridge Adapter Set", which includes the GG adapter, was never restocked since then)

Small edit for the sake of completeness: this took place earlier than the article I linked above might suggest.
Last edited by 6t8k on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

educate me, please: the master system adapter was included with the Mega SG. Was there anything wrong with it?

The GG adapter was included in the 3-piece Cart adapter set sold separately. I purchased this and got another GG adapter two month later or so. Wasn't this the fixed one ?
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

The Master System adapter included with the Mega Sg itself works like a charm (at least for me, and that's what I've heard from other people too).

If you purchased the 3 pieces adapter set and received a separate GG adapter later on, then I would expect the latter one to be the fixed version (I don't have it, so I can't really comment on it). But again, the fixed version was never sold, as far as I know.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

right, ok. I guess everybody who purchased the set, got another GG adapter in the mail, so we should consider it fixed after all...
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

Yeah, I guess you could say so. "release" semantics shemantics.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

6t8k wrote:Master System: yes
Game Gear: yes
MyCard: yes
Mark III/SG1000: yes
Fixed for you, they did release them and they were available for purchase, doesn't matter if it's sold out now or not, they were released a few months back, not sure why you consider this as a non-release, the Game Gear Adapter v1.1 replacement fix exist as well as mentioned by Fudoh.
low_budget

Post by low_budget »

deleted post
Last edited by low_budget on Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

low_budget wrote:so my other question was "did the customers of the original Analogue Nt mini that had defective cartridge slots get free reapirs from analoge" or do his cult members not care about that?

the new analoge nt mini noir or whatever is advertised as having new cartridge connectors, so they are admitting problems with the first batch of Analogue Nt mini cartridge connectors. I have also read numerous complaints about the poor quality of these connectors and some users reported fixing the problem themselves because analogue didn't respond to their requests.

since that would be a manufactiring error, a nice honest company like analogue fixed all the systems with defective connectors free, right?

also, it's good to hear a small number of people finally got working game gear adapters. GOOD FOR YOU ANALOGUE!

Anybody remember the Hi-Def Nes? It's no longer available thanks to Chris Taber. Kevtris sold out to big profit and is too busy working for the narsassis pathalogical liar to make popular mod kits anymore. Hopefully somebody else will step up and make a quality HDMI kit for the NES again.

It's just another way gamers are losing out because of analogue's greed.

Nice price conparisons by the way, but every one of the Analogue cultists missed out on the scalper fees most chstomers will be forced to pay.

Scalpers love analoge. maybe the limit should have been 1 per person?
I have 0 love for analogue but people are free to buy their overpriced shit if they want to

it's really not our problem, no need to go on a crusade about it
darcagn

Post by darcagn »

maxtherabbit wrote:I have 0 love for analogue but people are free to buy their overpriced shit if they want to
People are also free to criticize their products and practices on message boards, too, though.
maxtherabbit wrote:it's really not our problem, no need to go on a crusade about it
Speak for yourself. He may be going on a crusade of criticism worthy taking with a grain of salt, but I am interested in what he has to say, given he's worked with them.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

BONKERS wrote:Let's be real. The number of people going to be using this with a CRT are small in number.
So? They're not zero. I've quite enjoyed playing GBA games on my PVM.
BONKERS wrote:The Dock is an extra 100$ to get TV output. That's not value.
It's a great value when your alternatives is a $350 consolizer or the cost of getting a modded GameCube and Game Boy Player and GCVideo. That $100 dock is actually the cheapest option. It also has some other features like support for up to four wired/wireless controllers via either USB or Bluetooth or 2.4 gig wireless (all these non-bluetooth 8bitdo controllers that I've accumulated).
BONKERS wrote:You can get a good GBA for far less than 200$ that will cover the GB/GBC/GBA library with real carts.
You cannot get a good GBA with an IPS backlit screen, refurbished buttons (because the original rubber is probably terrible by now), a rechargeable battery, and fixed audio, for under $200, especially if you have to pay somebody to do it for you (not everybody wants to solder together their own console, they want something that just works). I already priced that out. The Pocket is cheaper, even ignoring the TV output or flash cart.
BONKERS wrote:This is overpriced
This is cheaper than the "good GBA" approach you suggested
BONKERS wrote:the design doesn't look any better than any of the cheap Chinese handhelds out there
I disagree, but design is subjective, and the build quality of most of those cheap Chinese handhelds is terrible.
BONKERS wrote:and much like Limited Run Crap using artificial supply to drive up demand.
They sure are. Analog is a shitty company that makes great products. Which I suppose is better than a great company that makes shitty products, but really I'd just be satisfied if they were an OK company that made great products.
BONKERS wrote:16$ for a screen protector? 30$ for a case?
Have you looked at the prices of high-quality tempered glass screen protectors or first-party cases? Apple charges $39 for a case and they have crazy economies of scale, and the cheapest third-party glass screen protector they sell is $40, though that does come with free installation with a special machine that gets perfect alignment and dust control. Which, having applied such a screen protector to my Switch, I would have gladly paid for considering how insanely hard it was to just get an OK-ish result. If you go on Amazon and buy a reputable screen protector for your phone, most of the known reputable brands charge more than $16, though amFilm's is only $9.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Guspaz wrote:It's a great value when your alternatives is a $350 consolizer or the cost of getting a modded GameCube and Game Boy Player and GCVideo.
At the same time, you can't really put an FPGA emulator device on the same category as original hardware, even if the two seem to perform indistinguishably. Just like the number of people playing these portable games on CRTs is not zero, neither is the number of people for whom nothing can 100% replace original hardware, whether for nostalgia factors, for absolute peace of mind that even the most obscure and untested software will run fully as intended without minor deviations, or for whatever other reasons.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Guspaz wrote:
BONKERS wrote:Let's be real. The number of people going to be using this with a CRT are small in number.
So? They're not zero. I've quite enjoyed playing GBA games on my PVM.
Apparently paying more for less options is "better value" than paying less for more options.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Guspaz wrote: Analog is a shitty company that makes great products. Which I suppose is better than a great company that makes shitty products, but really I'd just be satisfied if they were an OK company that made great products.
How about a good company that makes good products? This describes most companies that are able to survive through sustainably. Even if you have a great product line, which 99% of you seem to think Analogue does, that's no excuse for poor decisions and generally being bad people. Speak with your wallet I guess.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

No offense, but the entire argument of (paraphrasing here) "I don't buy (or use anything) from unethical companies/entities and/or people who are assholes" really doesn't fly. I totally get it, but if most of you were true to that mantra (and not just proselytizing here) you literally wouldn't set foot outside your house on public roads, wouldn't even have electricity at your house, drive your car with the gasoline you have to put into it, or have food to eat to stay alive (slim exception for people who grow their own food), i.e. you would NOT be able to live even a quasi-normal life. It would be IMPOSSIBLE. It sucks, but this is the world we live in.

BUT, in this example in particular (which I know is about a hobby product and not like regular things you need to live) I have nothing but glowing experience with the Mega SG and Super NT. They work great, zero issues since I got it, and even the build quality is top notch. They really didn't cost more than a decked out SNES 1-Chip/Genesis triple mod bypass etc., scaler, flashdrive(s) etc. –– so I expect the Pocket to be the same which is why I bought it. I really don't care if the guy is a jerk if his product delivers. There's plenty of modders out there who are complete asshole narcissists (but they 1000% know their shit... although they should literally still be seeing somebody about that other thing...), plenty of other boutique companies who are crass and have ZERO (I mean like NO) social and/or business skills, yet we all (the VAST majority of us) still buy their shit, and bend over backwards and literally jump through insane hoops to do so even. Why? Because there's really not many alternatives out there. Just like there's no sensible all-in-one-and-then-some product like Analogue Pocket. And again, that's why I bought it.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

It's ok to hate on Analogue all you want but as people said here, the Analogue Pocket is great value, with everything it provides, in comparison to what it would cost to get each of those individual systems modded with a nice screen and hdmi output. Even if you're using it just for GB/GBA games the cost to get those systems with a nice screen and on HDMI come close to or can even surpass the price of the Analogue Pocket with all the add ons. This was the product I was looking most forward to, but now the only hope we have if they open another round of pre orders when im not at work. Im not too worried if I dont get it.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Apparently they sold between 11k to 15k Analogue Pocket units in less than 10 minutes, though it was mentioned that it would be a limited release/limited amount of units way back when they first announced it in October 2019.