LCD TV without progressive scan?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nogame

LCD TV without progressive scan?

Post by Nogame »

Do fixed resolution displays which won't accept 480p actually exist? My Toshiba 20vl43u apparently is junk, or every one of them is junk. 480p signal results in two images with gap between them. 240p will display, but with much flickering and noise. It's getting hard to avoid emulation...
Fudoh

Re: LCD TV without progressive scan?

Post by Fudoh »

While the panels are always progressive, there might be processing eletronic in between the inputs and the panel which don't. If you get a split image it means that you're using inputs that are meant for 15khz input only.

The Toshiba VL43 is indeed crap. You can certainly better LCD TVs - even for free - that are better than this one. With no progressive inputs and no digital input whatsoever, you should put the Toshiba to rest. It's old enough.
Nogame

Post by Nogame »

Well, I foolishly payed for the 480p panel a short while ago. No good free TVs in my area - besides basic old CRT TVs. I was hoping for a suitable 20" 480p/240p display without the pro CRT gouging.

No service menu access as usual for this TV, but I guess it was just a bad TV. The little info that I found online mentioned the colorstream component input, 480p, and EDTV - so WTF!
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

How are you connecting your consoles to the TV? It's possible it only supports 480p over something stupid, like its tuner.
Nogame

Post by Nogame »

Analogue tuner only I assume, and NTSC/PAL system. A Toshiba DVD player with colorstream video is mentioned though, and only one input available.
Nogame

Post by Nogame »

Well, I guess that most of the small EDTV's were poorly designed, and finding one that works properly will be difficult. Specific good models if known would be appreciated.

I've tried only one upscaling unit before. Are there any great ones to be found at a reasonable price? A Sony plasma display is obviously too large for my intended cabinet, but should one be okay for 240p-480p resolutions?