Light gun games compatibility

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fatass

Re: Light gun games compatibility

Post by Fatass »

All good, mate.

TBH I also had no idea about the 100hz compatibility option in pal ps2 guncon games until recently, and that's because I did what you did ie got the ntsc versions. On a 100hz tv, aiming once at the calibration screen in pal TC2 auto-selects progressive in black letters, which isn't ideal. Point away, hold down the trigger and press select and '100hz' appears. Much better. Same for pal TC3.

Prior to this I heard it was better to set my 100hz telly's 'game' mode to 'on' but i tried it off and it still works.

Pal Vampire night has a weird bug during calibration, it also mistakenly identifies my 100hz set as progressive signal and when I aim away and press select once more it becomes '100hz progressive' instead of just 100hz. This appears to shift the actual shot for the centre bullseye to the red text directly below it, on the bottom of the screen. It also turns on 2 point adjustment mode and I cannot turn it off. I just aim down, shoot the text a dozen times until it registers, then shoot the upper left bullseye (which makes the gun track higher than normal), then do the entire calibration again - shoot the middle bullseye, then upper left bullseye, this time normally without aiming at the bottom text, and it's working. Voila.

Pal Guncom 2 (the Pal version of Death Crimson+) also seems to have 100hz support when I tried it. Similar to Pal Ninja assault it's included in the 'progressive' option during the calibration screen. Unlike Ninja assault, i don't have to turn the brightness up but honestly this death crimson game is too wacky for my tastes.

BTW, the pal version of ninja assault has 50 or 60hz selectable upon booting the game.

The only other ps2 gun game that doesn't seem to have 100hz support, apart from crisis zone, is endgame. I tried both the USA and PAL versions and there's seemingly no selectable 100hz mode during calibration. I don't think there was even progressive, either.

Still haven't tried capcoms gun survivor series or virtua cop elite edi, hopefully someone can shed light on those regarding progressive/100hz support.

BTW my 100hz crt is a panasonic tx-79p100z, mine was notable for being without a progressive scan mode. Most tv's during that time had both modes selectable. I heard that 100hz was really mostly implemented in pal territories which might be why ntsc games didn't have it. I also only used guncon 2s i got through CEX, they were going cheap at 20 bux, not sure about third party guns although I really wish I had gotten those Hori beretta lookalikes with the pedal.
War on hemorrhoids.