CONNECTING PS2 TO BLAST CITY

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Nick420

CONNECTING PS2 TO BLAST CITY

Post by Nick420 »

Hi all,

So today I just got the notion to connect my ps2 to my blast city to play gradius V with the upscaled hex edit done.

I already have an xbox360 connected to the cab through an extron thingy. (Cant remember the exact name at the moment)

I have a ps2 rgb scart cable.(the ones that u can use to connect light guns and play in RGB)

I have a spare VGA cable.

I have a shit tonne of resistors etc.

So does anyone know how I can DIY a solution to go from the ps2 RGB scart to the VGA cable and then into the extron for some sweet gradius V action in VGA on candy. :D :D :D :D

How difficult is this to do? Because im pretty sure I don't need to worry about splitting the csync signal into horizontal and vertical as the extron takes care of this.

Does anyone know if the ps2 rgb scart outputs in csync or splits the signal into horizontal or vertical?

If its Csync then in theory this should be quite simple and just a case of connecting the wires from the rgb scart to the correct wires in the VGA cable. But maybe I'm wrong.

Any help is much appreciated on this.

Cheers :D
Fudoh

Re: CONNECTING PS2 TO BLAST CITY

Post by Fudoh »

You need an amp. Consumer RGB/component levels (plus sync) levels aren't what might be required on your monitor's end.

An unmodded PS2 does not output clean sync. Just composite and luma. And in 480p you can only get component or RGsB.

If you only want to play 480p titles, you take RGsB, route it into your Extron interface and get RGBS or RGBHV. This should give you TTL level sync for your monitor. It gets WAY more complicated though if you want the same for 240p or 480i titles.
Nick420

Post by Nick420 »

Thank you for your reply :D

It's going a little over my head tho ha.

All I'm really interested in is playing gradius V. With the hex edit done to the game that gives it a higher resolution. Do ya know the one I'm talking about?

So it's not just as simple as hooking the xbox360 to the cab then lol?

What do I need to get/buy to play gradius V as mentioned. And is it worth doing in your opinion?

Thanks man.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

For games like Gradius V it's easy and convenient, since your version can directly boot into 480p. You can also use an unpatched GV version along with a boot disc or boot dongle to enable 480p.

I assume your Extron interface has DSUB15 inputs ? Do all you need is a 3x RCA to VGA adapter dongle ($5). Once you set your PS2 to RGB in the main menu, it will output 480p RGsB (sync on green) using the component cable. You can input this into your Extron and output RGBS or RGBHV from there - just as you do with your 360.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Fudoh wrote:Once you set your PS2 to RGB in the main menu, it will output 480p RGsB (sync on green) using the component cable. You can input this into your Extron and output RGBS or RGBHV from there - just as you do with your 360.
To clarify, for those that might not get it from your first paragraph, the PS2 will output 480p RGsB once a game or boot disc loads in 480p; until then, or if you boot an SD-only game, the console's going to be outputting 480i/576i RGBS, which won't be functional over the component cable. (This is what I experience with the PS2 Linux kit; no video until the boot disc loads and switches video output to VGA 640x480 or 480p (I forget which, exactly.)
Nick420

Post by Nick420 »

Ok Great :D
Thanks for the replys lads. :D

My extron has rcb inputs. But I have a dsub15 to rcb cable connected to it.

This is like the cable I have connected to the ps2..

http://www.honsoncn.com/ps2/cable/rgb-s ... r-ps2.Html

So the hassle I'm having is how do I get the scart to the dsub15..?

The converter u mentioned I don't think does this?

Also if I can DIY the cable I would have no problem doing that as I'm an impatient mofo lol. But have no issue in spending money to get this going at the same time. Whatever's best really.

I'm still a little confused but happy that it sounds easy enough 2 achieve so that's great ha :D

Thanks again :mrgreen:

Edit: also I get what you guys are saying about the console video output..basically the console chooses which video mode its gonna send depending on the resolution of the game or disc u are using..

Edit 2: And with the setup I am aiming for. I will only be able to play games that output 480p. Am i right on this?....please let psyvariar revision output 480p lol. Have everything crossed lol. Cuz that would be a sweet bonus. Love the tunes in that game 2 bits. Plus love the game itself ha. :lol:

Edit3: ah I see psyvariar does not....Shiki 2 does tho :D One of my favourite shmups easily so that's deadly :mrgreen:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

My extron has rcb inputs. But I have a dsub15 to rcb cable connected to it.
what's RCB? You mean BNC?

Which Extron interface do you have? Usually the interfaces have HD15 inputs and BNC outputs.
This is like the cable I have connected to the ps2..
You got a breakout adapter for that ? While you CAN run RGsB over a scart cable, using component cables makes it a lot easier.

If you want to connect a component cable to an Extron interface using BNC you only need three RCA to BNC adapter plugs.

Just to add to the info above.

If you wanted to use 15khz titles as well, you'd either have to clean up the PS2's RGBs signal, get proper sync, possibly amp the signal to directly display 15khz on your cab's monitor. Or you would get a linedoubling device (e.g. a Retrotink 2x), connected your PS2 to that. Take the Retrotink's HDMI output, convert to 480p VGA (using a $15 HDMI to VGA converter).
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Fudoh wrote:You got a breakout adapter for that ? While you CAN run RGsB over a scart cable, using component cables makes it a lot easier.
From what I understood, the breakout is to facilitate light guns while using YPbPr component output, and SCART was suggested as a (more expensive) possibility, because SCART cables with composite breakouts are easier to find than component cables with composite breakouts.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

I use an Ultimarc RGB cable to connect my PS2 to my crt arcade monitors. They sell two versions: One for regular 15khz only crt monitors and one for tri-sync arcade monitors (that don't need an amp).

I use the tri-sync one which outputs RGBS to a standard DB15 cable. I run everything through an Extron RGB interface which solves any remaining sync issues (like converting 480p RGsB to RGBS) if you have them. My monitor seems to work in 480p without my interface too. Their cable also has a built in headphone port to connect speakers.

One thing to be aware of with the PS2 in 480p RGB is that there is something out of the ordinary about it's sync signal. I had to adjust the hhold pot for some games.
Nick420

Post by Nick420 »

Sorry I meant BNC.

And yeah its dsub15 input and BNC output. Sorry that long since I set the thing up.

And the non scart connections on the cable I have are just composite and audio connections. That's what I didn't understand about the converters you where suggesting.

I think the tri sync ultimarc cable sounds like the best choice at this point? I'll grab one of them. I've been wanting to buy a spinner off them for a while now so I can kill 2 birds :D

Thanks everyone! U guys are ledges :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Edit: Could someone maybe point me to this cable? I dont see one on they're site that connects to dsub15...I could just be being retarded tho ha.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Nick420

Post by Nick420 »

Classicgamer wrote:http://www.ultimarc.com/store/section.php?xSec=8

4 up from the bottom. $26.
Sweet man thanks :D :D :D
Nick420

Post by Nick420 »

Sorry just one more thing on this before I buy this cable. I have a new astro city cab with 15K nano MS8. Is that the better cab to connect the ps2 to
Or is it better to connect it to the 31k ms9?

Thanks
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Nick420 wrote:Sorry just one more thing on this before I buy this cable. I have a new astro city cab with 15K nano MS8. Is that the better cab to connect the ps2 to
Or is it better to connect it to the 31k ms9?

Thanks
Should work with either. I think the 15kHz MS8 would be able to take the 240p/480i signals from most PS2 games, and then the 31kHz MS9 would be able to take the 480p content. If a given game doesn't support 480p, and the MS9 isn't multi-sync, you're probably going to be stuck playing that game on the MS8. If the game supports both modes, I'd try 15kHz output on the MS8 and 31kHz output on the MS9 and then determine for myself which I liked better.