Problems w/PS2 Guncon o/Component

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rooskiwolf

Problems w/PS2 Guncon o/Component

Post by Rooskiwolf »

I recently purchased a NPC-106 without the T-Cable. I used a RCA Y-Splitter to merge the RCA cable coming from the NPC-106 and the Green Component Cable from the PS2 Component Cables. But as soon as I plug the NPC-106 into the RCA Y-Splitter, the picture on the TV goes to hell. The TV is a Sony Trinitron from 2003. Standard Definition.
nmalinoski

Re: Problems w/PS2 Guncon o/Component

Post by nmalinoski »

I imagine having the gun connected to Y is drawing more than what the TV needs to properly display the signal. You're going to need to get either an aftermarket cable with a composite video breakout or something like the SCPH-10130.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I use the PS1 version of the SCPH-10130 on the PS2 with the Guncon 2 and it works perfectly via component. I think alternatively you can get the scart cable by Retro Access that has the gun plugin and just go through a rgb to component encoder (you'll get ever so slightly better colors in the process).
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Rooskiwolf wrote:I recently purchased a NPC-106 without the T-Cable. I used a RCA Y-Splitter to merge the RCA cable coming from the NPC-106 and the Green Component Cable from the PS2 Component Cables. But as soon as I plug the NPC-106 into the RCA Y-Splitter, the picture on the TV goes to hell. The TV is a Sony Trinitron from 2003. Standard Definition.
You don't want a splitter to get sync to a guncon. If you don't have the T-adapter that was packaged with the official Namco GC2, you should buy a multi av out adapter with a guncon port like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PS2-PS3-PS1-Pl ... Swgn5XEluH

You then just plug your component cable into the adapter and the GC2 into the yellow composite video port (also on the adapter).

If you want to use a second guncon, you will still need the t-adapter so make sure to buy a complete one if you buy another official Namco gun. Most of the 3rd party guns, and the official Namco GC1 have the T-adapter built in to the cable.
Rooskiwolf

Post by Rooskiwolf »

Thanks all for the quick replies. I went ahead and bought a SCPH-1160 off ebay for $10. Should be here by end of next week. Hopefully it solves my problem. Cheers!
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

If you ever want to use your Guncon 2 with Windows PC emulators (using wingun drivers) it will be a lot easier if you can track down another GC2 with the T. You can run a groovymame pc through an Extron RGB interface which outputs RGBS on BNC connectors. Then you just need a bnc to rca adapter to slot the T fitting into the sync line.

There are PC to jamma adapters that come with a guncon port but it's overkill if you aren't using a jamma cab.

If you only have a CRT with component video, a JROK board will do the job. It will convert the RGBHV from a PC to component and ntsc (via composite video). You can plug the GC2 into the composite video port directly with no T adapter needed.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Taiyaki wrote:I use the PS1 version of the SCPH-10130 on the PS2 with the Guncon 2 and it works perfectly via component. I think alternatively you can get the scart cable by Retro Access that has the gun plugin and just go through a rgb to component encoder (you'll get ever so slightly better colors in the process).
No need to convert colorspace; the lines for YPbPr share the same lines as RGB (GBR, specifically), so one of those SCART cables with the composite video breakout would work fine if you also bought a passive SCART->RCA adapter.

Of course, considering how expensive SCART cables and adapters are, I would think it would be cheaper to have Retro-Access custom build a PS2 component cable with a composite breakout, and even cheaper still to just buy one of the PS1 or PS2 AV breakouts.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

nmalinoski wrote:
Taiyaki wrote:I use the PS1 version of the SCPH-10130 on the PS2 with the Guncon 2 and it works perfectly via component. I think alternatively you can get the scart cable by Retro Access that has the gun plugin and just go through a rgb to component encoder (you'll get ever so slightly better colors in the process).
No need to convert colorspace; the lines for YPbPr share the same lines as RGB (GBR, specifically), so one of those SCART cables with the composite video breakout would work fine if you also bought a passive SCART->RCA adapter.

Of course, considering how expensive SCART cables and adapters are, I would think it would be cheaper to have Retro-Access custom build a PS2 component cable with a composite breakout, and even cheaper still to just buy one of the PS1 or PS2 AV breakouts.
They really aren't expensive. Obviously you can find expensive cables but scart or component cables for a PS2 start at less than $7 and the guncon compatible multi av out adapters cost $10 on ebay.

The custom scart cables with a built-in guncon port start at around $30. It's not a huge difference either way. Some of those custom cable makers tend to be more useful for people that use sync-fussy pro video monitors as they offer options with built in sync separators (to output clean RGBS instead of sync on composite video).
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Classicgamer wrote:
nmalinoski wrote:

They really aren't expensive. Obviously you can find expensive cables but scart or component cables for a PS2 start at less than $7 and the guncon compatible multi av out adapters cost $10 on ebay.

The custom scart cables with a built-in guncon port start at around $30. It's not a huge difference either way. Some of those custom cable makers tend to be more useful for people that use sync-fussy pro video monitors as they offer options with built in sync separators (to output clean RGBS instead of sync on composite video).
SCART is expensive if you want to avoid audio and video interference (For a PS1 cable, ~$25 minimum from Retro Gaming Cables, $38 minimum from Retro-Access), or if you want to integrate it into equipment that doesn't already support input via SCART or doesn't support >15kHz over SCART ($25 minimum for SCART to BNC adapter on eBay, plus a few more dollars if you need BNC to RCA adapters; no passive SCART to VGA adapters on eBay, just some garbage scalers).

In the OP's case, SCART especially doesn't make sense, because they're using YPbPr component, so one of those $10 breakouts (Really $15+ when you factor in shipping) is easily the most appropriate and cheapest option. If they were just now starting to get into SCART, they could save some money by buying one of RGC's ~$25 cables (they don't charge extra for a composite breakout, which is nice).
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Using scart outside of Europe is a different proposition as you said. With an EU scart TV wired to sync on composite video you can use any low cost rgb scart cable and get a nice image. I get that opinions will vary on this but my experience has been that expensive scart cables are a waste of money.

If you are using pro video monitors in America, a lot depends on the specific brand and model. Some are a little fussy with sync and need clean RGBS. For those, it's best to spend the $50 to get a scart to BNC adapter with a built in sync separator. My Ikegami broadcast monitor works fine with a cheap ps2 scart cable and a $30 scart to BNC adapter (with no sync strike). But I have definitely used monitors and devices that don't.

The only time I have experienced interference or other cable related issues (aside from my poor diy cable attempts) was when I cheaped out on the scart to BNC adapter. There are poorly made ones on the market. I got the best results from this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-RGB-Eur ... SwPhdU47vv

Obviously none of that matters if someone is using component video.