What's a good micro sd card to buy for flashcarts?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Rock Man

What's a good micro sd card to buy for flashcarts?

Post by Rock Man »

I picked up a 200 GB SD card off ebay (shipped from Pennsylvania, normally the cheap stuff is made in China) for the MSD and it sucked ass. It kept deleting and erasing files I've never been so frustrated. In order to avoid that I was hoping you guys could recommend or link me to a reliable 256 GB micro SD card?

On that note what features should I look for when buying these cards for flashcarts and retro game systems?
Dochartaigh

Re: What's a good micro sd card to buy for flashcarts?

Post by Dochartaigh »

I have like 10 of these, haven't used larger sizes yet:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073J ... UTF8&psc=1

Used in multiple Everdrives, SSDS3, Phoebe/GDEMU, Wii, RP3's, etc.
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

Anything with a brand name from a reputable seller. I will never again buy from anywhere other than my local big box electronics store.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Dochartaigh wrote:I have like 10 of these, haven't used larger sizes yet:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073J ... UTF8&psc=1

Used in multiple Everdrives, SSDS3, Phoebe/GDEMU, Wii, RP3's, etc.
I'm using a mix of this same model (128GB) and the 200GB ones in my GDEMU, PSIO, and my girlfriend's Switch and dashcams, as well as the green, Amazon-only EVO ones (32GB and 64GB) in my New 3DS. I don't remember what I'm using in my Everdrive 64; can't be more than 16GB. No problems so far. I'm also using an old, full-size 1GB SanDisk SD card in my Everdrive N8 with no issues.

I've only had some problems with older, slower SD cards, like a 2GB MicroSD card and a 4GB Class 4 MicroSDHC card. Separately, I've had a number of 16GB SD cards from a number of years ago go bad on me, all from SanDisk (Probably counterfeits, though sold by Amazon).
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I stick to SanDisk. Ultra when I don't need very high speeds (and you can get their 200GB and 400GB cards cheap with an A1 rating), or Extreme (or higher) when I do need speed.

The SanDisk Ultra 400GB is currently $57 USD on Amazon, the 200GB is $30, and the 128GB is $20. There's no reason to try saving money by going with noname brands from shady suppliers when real SanDisk cards are so cheap. They even go on sale sometimes.

I've got the 400GB Ultra in my Switch and the 32GB Extreme in my Mega Everdrive (because the price difference for Ultra to Extreme is small at those sizes).

One thing to keep in mind is that their "Ultra" and "Extreme" and other labels are branding, not models. Check the ratings on the cards, because a 400GB Ultra sold today is faster than a 400GB Ultra from a few years ago, for example. They didn't have the A1 rating previously.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

I ordered a 256 gigger off Dochartaigh Amazon link, I'll let yall know how it works out. Thanks guys.

Shredder is Uncle Phil!
Listai

Post by Listai »

As others have said only purchase reputable brands (SanDisk, Samsung) and try to go to a brick and mortar store; I price-match SanDisk cards at my local OfficeWorks since I know I don't have to worry about getting duped on Amazon with a garbage card.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Listai wrote:As others have said only purchase reputable brands (SanDisk, Samsung) and try to go to a brick and mortar store; I price-match SanDisk cards at my local OfficeWorks since I know I don't have to worry about getting duped on Amazon with a garbage card.
Problem with my local store is none of them sell cards that are over 128 GB. Most only sell 64 and the ones that do sell 128 are $70 and $80 bucks! 128 isn't enough to put what I want on there anyway, not without leaving out files. If the card I ordered from Amazon fails I'll try my local Target store. Target is the only one in my area that doesn't try to charge an arm and a leg for an SD card.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

You can reduce (though not eliminate) the risk buying the cards from Amazon by making sure they're sold by Amazon, and not a marketplace seller (even if they're fulfilled by Amazon).
Listai

Post by Listai »

Rock Man wrote:
Listai wrote:As others have said only purchase reputable brands (SanDisk, Samsung) and try to go to a brick and mortar store; I price-match SanDisk cards at my local OfficeWorks since I know I don't have to worry about getting duped on Amazon with a garbage card.
Problem with my local store is none of them sell cards that are over 128 GB. Most only sell 64 and the ones that do sell 128 are $70 and $80 bucks! 128 isn't enough to put what I want on there anyway, not without leaving out files. If the card I ordered from Amazon fails I'll try my local Target store. Target is the only one in my area that doesn't try to charge an arm and a leg for an SD card.
Yeah, my local store's prices aren't great either but they beat Amazon by 5% as per their guarantee. That said they sadly only keep up to 256gb at the moment which has stopped me from getting a 400gb card for my PSIO.

I thought Target did price-matching?
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Listai wrote:
Rock Man wrote:
Yeah, my local store's prices aren't great either but they beat Amazon by 5% as per their guarantee. That said they sadly only keep up to 256gb at the moment which has stopped me from getting a 400gb card for my PSIO.

I thought Target did price-matching?
I dunno do they? My target store sells 128 GB for 28 bucks. (keep in mind, the 256 GB I just bought from Amazon was $35 dollars. A few dollars more and online nets you greater capacity!) Every where else is hyper expensive for that little ass bit of space 128 GB. Well, that's how it is in Philadelphia. It's the most frustrating thing in the world. Sometimes I think I'm the only one in this city who has a vast console collection, targets RGB on all my sources, and mods the hell out of my retro stuff.