The new Switch SNES controllers

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thebigcheese

The new Switch SNES controllers

Post by thebigcheese »

Are pretty great. Identical dimensions to the originals. The texture of the plastic is bumpier, but that could just be because my controllers are beat to shit. Buttons feel like the originals but newer (ie a little stiffer). Most importantly, the d-pad is excellent. For those who, like me, have been frustrated with the Pro Controller's d-pad, it's a real breath of fresh air. I checked with the button tester and there is virtually no unwanted triggering of diagonals like with the Pro Controller (and 8bitdo controllers to a lesser extent). They only trigger when I want them to, as they should. Tip top.

My one real gripe is that the ZL/ZR buttons are useless. I get that they are really only there so that you can open the menu in the SNES app, but it would have been nice to have more functional buttons so the controller would be more generally useful. Still, that really only rules out games that actually use both types of trigger, so not the end of the world. There's also no home button, so that's a little annoying. Otherwise, these are my new go-to for d-pad games.
Guspaz

Re: The new Switch SNES controllers

Post by Guspaz »

Meanwhile, we're still waiting for them to even go on sale in North America. The NES controllers are still the only option to buy.
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Guspaz wrote:Meanwhile, we're still waiting for them to even go on sale in North America. The NES controllers are still the only option to buy.
I'm in North America, I ordered them last week. Technically it said out of stock when I ordered, but it still let me place the order and now I have them.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I've checked several times since they were announced, and there was never any button to order, never any indication of being in stock or out of stock, never any indication of price. It's like that now too:

strygo

Post by strygo »

I ordered one last week as well and it arrived yesterday.

I really want a Super Nintendo one with colored buttons. Would anyone in the UK be willing to pick one up for me? I'd offer to pick up another US one with the ugly purple buttons in exchange but I doubt anyone outside NA wants those. I'd be happy to pay cost + shipping. :)
thebigcheese

Post by thebigcheese »

Guspaz wrote:I've checked several times since they were announced, and there was never any button to order, never any indication of being in stock or out of stock, never any indication of price. It's like that now too:
I see the same image now as well. Dunno, maybe too many people ordered when they were out of stock, so they removed it. They sold out basically the same night they went up, so they could be rather backordered. I only knew they were available because of a Twitter or blog post.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

They went up for order and sold out super-quick, people were updating the situation on other boards. It's Nintendo -

If anything, the fact the NES controllers are still available is a good sign that they will keep these in production, and eventually readily available.