NEC XV29 Plus, observations, potential problems

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
lalilulelo

NEC XV29 Plus, observations, potential problems

Post by lalilulelo »

So, I recently got this monitor, the NEC XV29 Plus, a 29" CRT presentation monitor. It's a pretty awesome monitor, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Before this I had 2 20" CRT monitors, a Sony PVM and a LaCie (Mitsubishi) computer monitor. I really like the image on this monitor, and the size is a pretty nice improvement over my previous monitors - however, this monitor combines all of the features of my 2 previous monitors into one, so it actually takes up less space overall. The XV29 seems to be very similar to the XM29 Plus, except that it has slightly different inputs and speakers, a slightly different case, and apparently doesn't accept component. It uses an invar mask, like the XM29. It has composite, S-Video, and 2 RGB/VGA inputs. Both of the VGA inputs will accept composite sync, separate sync, or sync on green. It'll display 15kHz RGB and 31kHz up to XGA (1024 x 768). It doesn't appear to accept 24kHz. I've made a working prototype of a SCART to VGA adapter for it, which will eventually be replaced by a better one. VGA sources can be directly connected to the monitor.

Here are some pictures of the monitor with games running.

The XV29 seems to be working pretty well, however I've noticed some weird things about it, and I wanted to get some advice.

The image on it seems really good, and has only minor problems that don't really bother me. Also, I think these problems actually may be caused by the source, not the monitor; I possibly didn't notice it with my other monitors because it's harder to see on a smaller monitor.

Besides that, I've noticed the monitor making some sounds that may be normal, but they sound kind of weird to me. For one thing, any time the monitor is turned on it makes a slight buzzing sound, which seems to be coming from the middle to rear of the tube. It isn't very loud, but it's noticeable if you listen to it in a quiet room without any speakers on. I don't know if this is normal or not, though I can't remember hearing another monitor making a sound like that. I read somewhere that a buzzing sound from the tube might indicate that the enamel that holds the wires (I can't remember what they're for) that are attached to the side of the tube - that enamel might be cracked or damaged in some way, and is vibrating. However, I can sort of see inside the monitor between the slats on the side that are supposed to allow airflow (it also has a fan, I think, which is very quiet), and the enamel seems fine - I don't see any noticeable damage. It could also be caused by faulty caps, but all of the caps I can see look fine. There is some weird looking stuff on the board on the upper middle part of the tube, but I think it's just dust. I can't rule out the possibility that the dust is what's making this sound, or dust in other parts of the monitor.

I've also noticed some weird sounds when it's obtaining a sync or changing resolutions. It's a fairly quiet, but noticeable high pitched squeaking sort of noise (it's hard to describe), which usually lasts a second or two. I've also noticed it making a different sound with the N64 in particular; it's a similar kind of squeaking sound, but it also sounds like clicking, and it stops momentarily in the middle - which worries me a little, because it could mean that the monitor is almost failing to sync but still manages to do it. Again, I don't know if any of that is normal or not.

None of the things I described seem to affect the functionality of the monitor; everything seems to work fine, and the picture looks very good. I'm just wondering if any of these things could be indicative of a problem that might get worse over time.

Another thing is that, while most of the systems I've tried (GC, Genesis, DC, Saturn, N64, Xbox, SNES) work just fine, there are a couple that don't, as well as a couple that I haven't tried yet because I don't have the cables I need (and won't work anyway, until I built a new adapter). The ones that don't seem to work at all are my PC Engine and my MVS. The monitor seems to attempt to display a signal from these systems, but no image shows. I've tried both RGB inputs, and get the same result. The MVS is connected to a supergun, but the supergun works with my other JAMMA system (Sega ST-V), so that probably isn't the problem. Both the PC Engine and the MVS worked fine with my PVM over RGB, though I recently noticed the MVS's output looks a bit dark compared to my other systems. The PC Engine works on this monitor if I use the composite output from the IFU, but not if I use the RGB output from the CoreGrafx (it's been RGB modded). I don't know why these systems don't work, but I'm thinking it could have something to do with the sync output. What do you think could be the reason, and how can I get them working?

So, I really just want to know if any of those things I mentioned before are something I should be concerned about, and why the MVS and PC Engine don't work. Any advice?
lalilulelo

Re: NEC XV29 Plus, observations, potential problems

Post by lalilulelo »

Here's an update on the XV29. I copied this from my post on ObscureGamers.

So, I have some things to share related to my XV29. I made a new SCART to VGA adapter. I've made this one to a much higher standard of quality (the previous one was only meant to be temporary), and it also has a built-in sync stripper. This is probably the most difficult soldering job I've ever done. For someone who's experienced at this sort of thing, it'd be very easy, but for me it was a bit of a challenge. Nonetheless, the end result is pretty good.

Here's a picture of the sync stripper. It's a pre-made board I got from retrogamingcables.

Here's what the SCART side of the adapter looked like immediately after I finished soldering it.

Here's the finished cable/adapter.

These pictures were all taken a few days ago when I originally built the cable. Yesterday I made a slight improvement: I added a little piece of transparent plastic to the sync stripper, to keep it in place and prevent the leads from touching anything else. I wanted it to be transparent so it'll be easier to diagnose any problems I may encounter with it in the future. When I did this, I also somehow solved an issue with the image that the adapter originally had; I don't know exactly what caused it, but whatever I did seemed to fix it.

I now have all of my consoles working with the XV29. Because I have the sync stripper, the 3 remaining consoles that previously didn't work are now working - my PS1, PS2, and PC Engine. I still haven't been able to get my MVS to work, but I have some ideas about how to deal with that. I may need to get some new cables in order to be able to get all of my systems to work with the new adapter - for right now, a few of them have to be connected to the old adapter. Overall, this setup is working very well. Now, besides the MVS, there's only one thing left that this setup needs, which is a Garo. They couldn't deliver it today because nobody was able to sign for it, so I'm going to pick it up from the post office tomorrow.

Something strange I've encountered with the PS2: I can get 480p to work with the XV29, but only one game I've tried actually displays it properly. With Tekken 4 in particular, when the output switches to 480p, the XV29 automatically switches to SoG and it works instantly. Pretty cool. However, with all of the other games I've tried, it doesn't automatically switch - and instead I get a green-tinted image. I think there may be a way to fix this, but I haven't been able to get it working so far. At any rate, Tekken 4 looks really good in RGsB at 480p, so I'm looking forward to seeing what other games look like.

Another thing about the PS2: I've heard that it's possible to play GunCon 2 games in 480p, but I haven't been able to get that to work. At the calibration screen, if I shoot at the screen and then point away from the screen with the GC2 and then press the trigger + select button, a message appears on screen that says "progressive enabled" or something like that. I can also get the 2-point calibration to work. However, for some reason it doesn't switch the output to 480p. I don't know why.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Cool monitor! I don't think I've sen one of those before. What country are you in? Good job on the adapter, always feels good to make something yourself!
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

aaronmjr wrote:Cool monitor! I don't think I've sen one of those before. What country are you in? Good job on the adapter, always feels good to make something yourself!
I’m in the US. I had to drive about 800 miles (round trip) to pick it up. I want to make another improvement to the adapter; it has a slight problem with the sync, I think using a higher quality wire for the sync would solve it. It’s fine the way it is, but I think the picture quality would be slightly better if I made this modification. Before I do that, I need to solve the other problem I’m having with the monitor - see the XM/XP29 thread if you want to know about that.
aaronmjr

Post by aaronmjr »

Oh man, I can totally relate. Back in 2016 I drove 1400 miles for three XM29s! Best of luck with it!
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

To preface this, since I didn't mention it in this thread, the monitor has an issue that I've been trying to solve for a while. Refer to this post about that issue: viewtopic.php?p=1385186#p1385186

So, I've taken my XV29 to a guy here in town who thinks he might be able to fix it, but it might be a while before he finishes. I was just thinking about the monitor, and something occurred to me. The manual says that it supports TTL level sync for separate and composite sync. It doesn't mention anything about 75ohm sync. Looking through the XM29 Plus manual, it says the same thing for RGB1, but it says RGB2 does accept 75ohm sync. I'm fairly certain that some of my systems output 75ohm sync, whereas others might output TTL level. Could inputting 75ohm sync into my monitor (the XV29 Plus) cause issues, considering it's expecting TTL level? And if so, would sending the sync through an LM1881 or an Extron PA250 solve that particular issue? I think that, regardless of this detail, the monitor probably has permanent damage that needs to be repaired anyway. But if it's true that giving the monitor the wrong type of sync causes issues, then I should remedy that in order to prevent the problem from possibly coming back.

Another note, if anyone is curious about this: before I took the monitor to the guy who's going to repair it, I managed to get my Neo Geo MVS working on it. I was able to get it working by connecting my supergun to an Extron PA250, connected to the monitor. If I remember correctly, when I tried connecting the MVS to an LM1881 (which I think has a 470ohm resistor on the sync line, so it outputs 75ohm), it didn't work. No image. This was what got me thinking about the sync. The PA250, according to the official specs, does output TTL level. I wonder if this is why the MVS works with the PA250 but not with the LM1881. The LM1881 works with other systems though, so I don't know how to explain that.