Console JAMMAizer! Console to Arcade Cabinet Adapter!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Arthrimus

Console JAMMAizer! Console to Arcade Cabinet Adapter!

Post by Arthrimus »

Hello folks, I've been developing this project over at the arcade projects forum, and I figured I'd post a thread here too for those who haven't seen it. Here is the description.

The Console JAMMAizer is a device that allows you to connect RGB scart game consoles and controls to your arcade cabinets! Base model priced at $150.

Main PCB Features:
-SCART Input Connector for video and audio.
-Fully amplified RGB video and mono audio to the JAMMA edge.
-Sync Stripping for Composite video or Luma sync cables/consoles.
-Stereo audio out through RCAs for stereo amplified cabinets.
-Onboard volume control for JAMMA speaker out.
-RGB impedance control for fine tuning to your monitor.
-Controls are handled through 2x 20 Pin headers compatible with Brook Retro boards, UFB, PS360+, or any future PCB with a matching 20 pin header,
-Buttons 4-6 available on the JAMMA edge as well as through a CPS2 kick harness plug.
-Button 6 on the JAMMA edge can be toggled on or off by switch. Only use with cabinets wired for CHAMMA.
-Player 1/2 Home and Select buttons available through on board buttons.
-Auxiliary button harness connectors for player 1 and 2. Adds Home, Select, B7 and B8.
-Home and Select button emulation via button combo for cabinets that lack extra buttons.
-External A/V input header for future input options. Example: VGA Hat.
-Hard Gold plated, beveled and chamfered JAMMA edge.

Here's a demonstration video showing the Console JAMMAizer in action.

Upgrade Options:
Button Remapping and Rapid Fire IC: Designed by "RGB" creator of the HAS supergun and RECO PCB. Allows full remapping and rapid fire programming of buttons 1-6 for player 1 and 2. Rapid fire modes can be toggled between different speeds and can be toggled between V-Sync locked timing and asynchronous timing depending on your needs. Frankly this upgrade is a must. Upgrade priced at $25

VGA Input Hat: This accessory will connect to the EXT_IN port of the man Console JAMMAizer PCB and provide VGA and 3.5mm audio input. The VGA hat has a sync combiner that can be toggled on or off depending on the needs of the VGA source. This adapter works for MAME in both 15khz and 31khz modes and VGA capable consoles like the Dreamcast and Xbox 360. 31khz sources will only work with 31khz capable monitors. Upgrade priced at $20

MC Cthulhu EZ PCB: This accessory is a redesigned PCB for the popular MC Cthulhu multi console controller PCB. This redesign makes the MC Cthulhu compatible with the Console JAMMAizer's 20 pin connector and controller PCB footprint. You can swap the chip from your existing MC Cthulhu PCB onto this one, or you can purchase just the MC Cthulhu chip from Paradise Arcade. This part of the project is available now, priced at $20.

Pre-orders are open for round 1

Pre-Order Details:
This is going to be a very expensive product to bring to market. The cost of components and PCB manufacture far exceeds any other project I have released, therefore I am going to have to hold pre-orders in order to fund the production of the first run. When you purchase your pre-order you are paying the full price of your console JAMMAizer and any upgrades you have ordered. Once the pre-order window closes I will order the PCBs and all of the necessary components to fulfill the pre-orders. Please expect a 1 to 2 month lead time to receive your order once pre-orders have closed. I will be limiting the first round to 25 units, after that I will hopefully be able to maintain regular stock provided there is enough demand. If you have any questions about the process, please contact me via my contact form or via PM at here.
plus ça change,
plus c'est la même chose,
The more that things change,
The more they stay the same.- RUSH- Circumstances

I install and sell mods at arthrimus.com | SNES RGB Bypass+Dejitter available now! | Watch me live stream my work on YouTube
Hoagtech

Re: Console JAMMAizer! Console to Arcade Cabinet Adapter!

Post by Hoagtech »

Looking tasty Arthrimus.

I preordered one (order #405)

Everybody with a cab should be all over this one.

I can’t wait to play metal slug XXX on a cab finally with my coin doors mapped to the “coin load” button.

Hurry up and fill the preorders people.
Copyright 1987
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Pre-ordered as well. I decided to go with 1 for now, then later on if things turn out well with production, I'll probably grab another one.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Pre-ordered one with order #425 -- should be a cool way to play 'em console games on the ol' candy cab setup indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
viletim

Post by viletim »

Arthrimus,
Did you measure the performance of your video amplifier solution?
Arthrimus

Post by Arthrimus »

I took measurements with my oscilloscope throughout the development of the amp design. It produces ~4vpp output from .7vpp input. The design is basically straight from the THS7375 Datasheet.
plus ça change,
plus c'est la même chose,
The more that things change,
The more they stay the same.- RUSH- Circumstances

I install and sell mods at arthrimus.com | SNES RGB Bypass+Dejitter available now! | Watch me live stream my work on YouTube
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

Can the VGA hat be added later?
PC Engine Fan X!

I bought a Console Jammaizer sometime back and was wondering what would be a good HDMI to Scart downconverter to buy (be able to hook up to a Nintendo Switch with a Brook 4-in-1 UFC board)? I realize that I can change the Switch's TV output setting to 640 x 480p indeed.

For Cannonballs,

Yes, you can add the VGA hat at a later date. I bought one that came shipping with my Console Jammaizer but it only accepts 31kHz input and will output at 31kHz only -- so you'd need a tri-sync arcade monitor that'll accept that signal. It would've been nice if the VGA hat could send a 31kHz signal and be converted to 15.7kHz signal (but the Ultracade UVC already does that but with no controls input portion but that's another issue to have to deal with).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
PC Engine Fan X!

Arthrimus has a small batch of his latest JAMMAizer version 2 listed up for sale on 4/11/2024 (with some added improvements over the version 1 pcb that was sold back in 2019 and 2020). He said in an email that he has a small batch for the first initial order and a 2nd batch with more JAMMAizer v2 pcbs to follow in a few weeks once the first batch sells out. Of course, all JAMMAizer v2 pcbs are built to order (by hand that is). So if you want one, order it right away -- snooze and you lose big time. Click on the preorder link in the first post to order your JAMMAizer v2 pcb while they're still available.

Just need a Brook Retro Board with a 20-pin interface and the appropriate retro console interface controller cord and you're good to go. Didn't realize that it was going to take so long for the promised v2 JAMMAizer pcbs to finally show up to purchase considering that it's already April of 2024 (they were mentioned on Arthrimus' site back in 2020 but it got delayed until just very recently). Better later than never, right? Damn, it's well worth the wait as it's finally over.

The only thing about using a Brook Retro Board with the JAMMAizer console to arcade cab setup with a PC Engine or TurboGrafx-16 console setup is, it'll be a single player affair at best (and not a two-player co-op affair even with a multi-tap setup present) even though there's enough room/space for two 20-pin ports for available for two Brook Retro Boards to be installed -- it won't work period. An expensive lesson learned the hard way -- oh well, at least I tried.

----------
FYI: So it's possible to use a PC Engine/TG-16 console with a Krikzz Turbo Everdrive Pro + EDFX add-on pcb with either a v1 or v2 JAMMAizer pcb setup and still get proper stereo sound support (if your candy cab does support stereo sound). Just use the proper stereo pinout of the JAMMAizer pcb itself and hook it up to the candy cab's stereo input harness via a 4-pin stereo wired harness and you're good to go in that particular department. Enjoy full rich stereo sound with all your favorite PCE/TG-16 CD-Rom2, Super CD-Rom2 and Arcade CD-Rom2 game titles + all PCE/TG-16 Hu-card game roms as well as they should be. Don't settle for less with the old-school mono sound output method when stereo is the better option to consider (assuming you have that option from the get-go). It's a given that some PCE/TG-16 Hu-Card game roms and various CD-based titles have support for both mono & stereo sound output if it needed be -- in the end, your YMMV. If your candy cab has a 2.1 surround sound speaker setup installed, more power to you with that thundering bass booming in the background -- crank up that subwoofer and raise the ceiling/roof!
----------

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~