OG Xbox low quality RGB signal

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kassj0peja

OG Xbox low quality RGB signal

Post by kassj0peja »

I came across information that the Xbox has a very low quality RGB signal. This supposedly only applies to 1.0 to 1.5 ad and MS improved it with 1.6. Can this be confirmed?

I can get an official MS Scart cable and still try to figure out if I go for the Retrotink (S-Video & Component) or the OSSC (RGB Scart & Component).

I am a PAL user so the output of my unmodded Xbox and Gamecube is 480i.
Kez

Re: OG Xbox low quality RGB signal

Post by Kez »

Either way, you should seriously consider softmodding your Xbox. It is not difficult to do and will allow you run pretty much all your games in 480p via component, which is a huge upgrade.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Kez wrote:Either way, you should seriously consider softmodding your Xbox. It is not difficult to do and will allow you run pretty much all your games in 480p via component, which is a huge upgrade.
This. My understanding is that you don't even need to keep a softmod installed; just do a gamesave exploit to load the softmod into memory (as if you were going to install it), run the specific software that can change the video region to NTSC, and then reboot the console. Your console should then be capable of outputting 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i (with compatible games), but it will no longer output 576i or PAL60 (which shouldn't be a problem, especially if you're looking for a better-quality image).
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

I will look into that. But I doubt that I will mod it.

The Scart cable which I would connect to the OSSC or the S-Video cable for the Retrotink only support 480i. The XOSVP looks very interesting though.

Just out of curiosity. If it is true that the 1.6 looks better via RGB I was wondering if 1.0-1.5 look better via Component/S-Video than a 1.6?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

kassj0peja wrote:The XOSVP looks very interesting though.
If they're ever stocked again and you get one, you're really not going to get much benefit out of an XOSVP without changing your video region to NTSC and using 480p or better video modes; plus, you'd need to be able to accommodate TOSLINK for audio. You could get an HD AV Pack, which would get you component output and analogue stereo audio, but, if you're not interested in playing games in 480p or better (You have an OSSC, so why wouldn't you?), then you might as well keep using a regular SCART cable or get a cheap component cable.
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

I was aware that the xosvp makes more sense with a modded console and an ossc. But it makes sense with an unmodded xbox in 480i with a retrotink 2x too. I have no upscaler yet but i got the official advanced scart cable a few hours ago. But i have to wait a bit until i can purchase an upscaler because i bought the mclassic too and test it with my xbox one and my lowend pc. Maybe mike chi develops a linedoubler with scart rgb input in the meantime. The current retrotink2x for me is more appealing than the ossc but also less practical for pal consoles.
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

kassj0peja wrote:I was aware that the xosvp makes more sense with a modded console and an ossc. But it makes sense with an unmodded xbox in 480i with a retrotink 2x too. I have no upscaler yet but i got the official advanced scart cable a few hours ago. But i have to wait a bit until i can purchase an upscaler because i bought the mclassic too and test it with my xbox one and my lowend pc. Maybe mike chi develops a linedoubler with scart rgb input in the meantime. The current retrotink2x for me is more appealing than the ossc but also less practical for pal consoles.
I think you may find people will say there's a whole lotta wrong with that entire statement. Maybe I read it wrong though?
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

What do you mean? The more input I get the easier it will be for me to chose to right setup. But it does not have to be the best possible. I prefer simpler solutions and devices I can use for multiple game machines.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

Yes, I was playing Spider-Man 2 on that thing in RGB SCART and couldn't believe how dark it was. This is on a 1.6 XBOX!

Go with Component, better.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Sounds like the Xbox might be a good candidate for an RGB bypass mod, or perhaps something akin to the GCDual and WiiDual--tap the digital RGB (Or is it YCbCr?) before the encoder, offer HDMI output, and optionally toss in a DAC to 1) bypass any quality differences with the built-in decoders, and 2) offer support for outputting analog 480p/720p/1080i in YPbPr, RGsB, or RGBS; although such a mod might require some mechanism to switch between CSync and composite video (CVBS should still be functional with a CVBS cable connected, but it needs to be replaced with clean composite sync when using RGBS, or, at the very least, 480p+ RGBS.
theclaw

Post by theclaw »

kassj0peja wrote:What do you mean? The more input I get the easier it will be for me to chose to right setup. But it does not have to be the best possible. I prefer simpler solutions and devices I can use for multiple game machines.
Before messing around with upscalers, plug a component cable into the Xbox directly to the TV.
You should get acceptable quality 480i.
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

I only have a computer monitor and no TV, so no component input nor Scart.
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

Sorry for the double post.

@Rock Man: thanks for impression on using Scart RGB with a 1.6 Xbox

Because softmodding my PAL Xbox was recommended I was wondering if 480p output is possible with a Scart Cable which I got recently for just a few euros.
Kez

Post by Kez »

kassj0peja wrote:Because softmodding my PAL Xbox was recommended I was wondering if 480p output is possible with a Scart Cable which I got recently for just a few euros.
Unfortunately not, only component supports 480p+.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

nmalinoski wrote:Sounds like the Xbox might be a good candidate for an RGB bypass mod, or perhaps something akin to the GCDual and WiiDual--tap the digital RGB (Or is it YCbCr?) before the encoder, offer HDMI output, and optionally toss in a DAC to 1) bypass any quality differences with the built-in decoders, and 2) offer support for outputting analog 480p/720p/1080i in YPbPr, RGsB, or RGBS; although such a mod might require some mechanism to switch between CSync and composite video (CVBS should still be functional with a CVBS cable connected, but it needs to be replaced with clean composite sync when using RGBS, or, at the very least, 480p+ RGBS.
this
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

Kez wrote:
kassj0peja wrote:Because softmodding my PAL Xbox was recommended I was wondering if 480p output is possible with a Scart Cable which I got recently for just a few euros.
Unfortunately not, only component supports 480p+.
This. Like the Dreamcast, the Xbox changes its video output depending on the specific combination of pins that get bridged when you connect specific types of AV cables. When you connect a SCART cable, it bridges a specific combination of the mode pins that cause the console to output RGB, with composite video for sync, and its RGB output is then limited to 15kHz (specifically 480i/576i).

When you connect a device that identifies as a component cable, it bridges a different combination of the mode pins that cause the console to output YPbPr (over the same pins shared by RGB signals), and I believe CVBS and YC get shut off.

So, yes, on an unmodified system, you'll need to use YPbPr component to get 480p+. I believe there's an alternate BIOS that you can install that will cause the console to output RGsB instead of YPbPr, which should get you 480p+ RGB, but you'll need to solder-bridge some pins on the motherboard (assuming you have a compatible board revision), and I think you'll still need a component cable (maybe not; I haven't tried), and it doesn't avoid the differences in encoding quality between the different board revisions.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

kassj0peja wrote:Sorry for the double post.

@Rock Man: thanks for impression on using Scart RGB with a 1.6 Xbox

Because softmodding my PAL Xbox was recommended I was wondering if 480p output is possible with a Scart Cable which I got recently for just a few euros.
You got it.

I get 480p on the Dreamcast using a SCART cable via 21 pin adapter for the XRGB-3. Well I accidentally got it a few times using my Toro switcher and accidentally hitting the switch with 15 kHz and 31 kHz games. Then again, XBOX is a different beast than Dreamcast so the method to achieve 480p in SCART differs. I should pick up that 15/31 kHz SCART lead for Dreamcast I keep seeing floating around on retro access & retro gaming cables at some point.