Dreamcast RGB issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
zinger

Dreamcast RGB issue

Post by zinger »

I got myself a new but modded (so that it can play all regions) US Dreamcast from Liksang a few weeks ago. It works great with the AV leads included, except for how bad a standard those leads really are. Therefore ofcourse, I got myself an RGB cable.

The problem is, it doesn't entirely fit the AV port. I've heard about it being a bit hard to squeeze in there, but this is ridiculous. I've tried two different brands of RGB leads, and they're both the same way. After using a bit of violence, I got it in by 90%, which gives me a dark and B&W picture (and my TV does support both RGB, NTSC and PAL signals, although the two latter factors shouldn't matter). Guess my DC is fecked, then? Has anyone else had troubles with DC+RGB?

Thanks!
elvis

Post by elvis »

Expand on "RGB cable". RGB is a colourspace standard, not a cable standard.

Are these 5xRCA plugs? SCART? DSUB9? DSUB15? All of these cable types will carry RGB.
zinger

Post by zinger »

neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Those are SCART cables.

Sounds like the moulding is a bit fat around the edges on the DC end.

What is the difference between the plug on the AV cable and the RGB cable that looks to be causing the problem?

If the cable ends look the same and one fits and the other does not, that is weird! Your not offering enough information really, surely you can see what the problem is with your own eyes.

It sounds to me like the moulding is so tight that its causing the plug to go in at an angle, therefore not touching all the pins inside the connector.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
elvis

Post by elvis »

That's a SCART plug.

Japanese and Euro SCART pinouts are different. Check pin 16 of the cable to see if it's spitting out +5V, and that will tell you if it's a normal SCART setup or a Japanese one:
http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/rgb21pinj.htm

That *might* be the problem. RGB comes from different pins on a dreamcast than normal video out, so it's not definite if it's the cable's fault.
zinger

Post by zinger »

Okay, I'm not good at this...
First of all, I've got 20 pins on my cable, and I don't know how to tell if it outputs +5V or not (all 20 slots do have pins though).

Differences on the RGB SCART, compared to AV SCART, well...
They're pretty much identical except for the RGB lead having 20 pins, the AV lead has four.
elvis

Post by elvis »

zinger wrote:Okay, I'm not good at this...
First of all, I've got 20 pins on my cable, and I don't know how to tell if it outputs +5V or not (all 20 slots do have pins though).
Pin number 16 (see the diagram I linked to to find out which pin number 16 is) will be from 0-0.4V if it's a Euro SCART connector pushing composite colour, 1-3V if it's a Euro SCART connector pushing RGB colour, or 5V if it's a Japanese one. You can test this with a multimeter if you have one handy.
zinger wrote:Differences on the RGB SCART, compared to AV SCART, well...
They're pretty much identical except for the RGB lead having 20 pins, the AV lead has four.
SCART is RGB (Red, Green, Blue, and a few sync signals). The "AV" cable you speak of is S-Video, which is Y/C (Luminanc/Chrominance, which is a different way of sending picture information to a TV and does NOT carry RGB signals).

Here's a few links to explain things if you feel like doing some reading (not necessary to solve your problem, however):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scart
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-video

Again, I can't say with any certainty what the problem is. It migt be:

* the cable isn't pushed in far enough into your dreamcast
* a broken pin inside your dreamcast
* broken pin/socket on your TV's RGB-in
* the cable is wired to Japanese SCART instead of Euro SCART
* your TV accepts only Japanese/Euro SCART and your console is spitting out something else
* etc

Have you got anything else that you can test with a SCART cable on your TV? Like another console, set top box, DVD player, etc? That would at least narrow the list down a little.

RGB gives a much better picture quality over either Video or S-Video. It's worth your time to do some fault finding to narrow this down.
zinger

Post by zinger »

I've used japanese Mega Drive and Saturns, both RGB SCART and S-video. My DVD player (outputs PAL no matter what movie i watch, though) works fine with SCART.

No multimeter around, sorry.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Wiggle it + push hard. The DC's AV out connector is stone-like fitting. Your third-party made RGB cable's AV side is probably a hair larger than normal too(Sega made).
zinger

Post by zinger »

It won't fit, it really won't. I'll look for an official cable, thanks.
supaT

Post by supaT »

I got the same problem. I need to push it hard ( 8) ) into the dreamcasts AV port to get a picture. Sadly, if the dreamcast is in operation and you touch it a little too strong, the RGB cable jumps out again.

This isn't an issue with the SEGA cable, though.