HDMI Switch

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Tobbis

HDMI Switch

Post by Tobbis »

So my current HDMI count is 12, with next gen it will be up to 14.
Is there any possibility that our beloved creator of the gscartsw & gcompsw could make us an HDMI switch that works the same way as his current products?
DirkSwizzler

Re: HDMI Switch

Post by DirkSwizzler »

While I wouldn't wish that insanity on anyone. I do wish that a member of the community would get into HDMI switch prototyping.

There are so many switches that fail in similar ways. I have to believe it comes from a lack of testing for our use cases.

I'm stuck trying a dozen or so $50 switches. I'd easily pay $400 to replace my setup with support for 10 devices (using one or more switches). As long as it:
Worked with every known signal. From OSSC 240p to ps4 pro 4k60rgb.
Autoswitched using a strict priority system.
Had support for 2 full hdmi outputs. And hopefully an audio only hdmi output. And maybe an spdif output as well. And hopefully didn't take super long to resync with ossc timing after a resolution change
Johnpv

Post by Johnpv »

Honestly I wish I could get an 8 port HDMI switch that DIDN'T auto switch, or I could at least turn it off. So many HDMI enabled things output a constant signal, that it screws up autoswitching.
Tobbis

Post by Tobbis »

Wow. After digging in on the topic of the constant feed from the PS4 and XBOXONE messing up auto switching I have a new dream:

An HDMI hub with the ability to be programmed input by input to be auto switching or not. With a screen similar to the OSSC for menuing and manually switching between channels. 12+ inputs and 2+ outputs. It would support all video formats, a simple pass through device that causes no lag and has no sync issues with any signal.

That is the dream(so far) lol
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I tried out a couple of 16 port matrix switches for my setup. Keep in mind these often cost over 1000 bucks.

Neither switch could work with everything without adding Dr HDMI units to some sources. On the first switch (which was also noisy due to a huge fan), Wiidual and GCDual weren't recognised at all unless used with a powered Dr HDMI unit (Wiidual and GCDual can't power a Dr HDMI on their own, I guess not enough amps although Dan was completely baffled why this would be). I returned this beastly switch in the end.

The 2nd switch I've only just got in and I've not tried Wiidual or GCDual with it yet but I already ran into a problem with a Vita TV not being recognised with it. Again, adding a Dr HDMI fixed it, but soon I'll have more of these things than HD Fury themselves :D

N64 HDMI is also another one that often fails with HDMI switches.

Seems HDMI switching is as much voodoo and plug and pray as SCART switching ever was.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Yeah. The thing is, the detection logic surely exists that can weed this out.

Any time an autoswitch goes down a bad path for me. My TV accurately says that there's no signal.

I'm assuming it's excluded from switches because it's not cheap. But I think we *need* that level of detection.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Update - discovered newer HDMI matrix won't work with Wiidual or GCDual unless you add a Dr HDMI to the consoles output.

These aren't autoswitching, it's fully manual so that's not the problem here.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Tobbis

Post by Tobbis »

I've never heard of DrHDMI before and after finding the company that makes them, HDFury, I'm wondering if contacting them directly about this would be worth a shot??? They have the tech, it would simply have to be applied and tested.