Atomiswave: Can anyone tell me more about this System?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Shelcoof

Atomiswave: Can anyone tell me more about this System?

Post by Shelcoof »

Ever since I purchased a supergun I've been looking into picking up a few arcade systems to play around with. Atomiswave was one that looked interesting to get into. It's cheap enough for the system as I see them available for less than 80$USD. Games on the other hand.. not sure lol. There are affordable bootlegs though from what I've been finding.

Like the Neo Geo MVS you just hook it up and it has swap-able game carts.
Me personally I'd like it for the following

Dolphin Blue
Rumble Fish 2
Neo Geo Battle Coliseum [Ported to PS2]
Fist of the North Star [Ported to PS2]

and maybe
Metal Slug 6 [Ported PS2]
Samurai Shodown 2 [Ported Multiple Systems]

Most of the Atomiswave games have been ported home. Not sure how much of an improvement it would be to play on original hardware.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the Atomiwave.
Fudoh

Re: Atomiswave: Can anyone tell me more about this System?

Post by Fudoh »

never had one or played with an Atomiswave, but I always assumed that the advantage of it (versus the home parts) was that the games were running in progressive resolutions. For Hokuto no Ken for example I know that it's running in 480p. Most of the home ports are running in 480i only, which was a real pain for (partially) sprite-based titles like SamSho VI or KOF XI or MS 6.
Last edited by Fudoh on Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Oh yhaa

Hokuto No Ken was the worst with so many jaggies :(
The game was an eye sore. Of course me turning off the filter didn't help either lol

Though the JP releases of of Neo Geo Battle Coliseum and King of Fighters XI offered 480p with the JP release but with the North American 480i only :(

I've heard some of the home ports improved on a few things. I've read somewhere that Samurai Shodown VI had better loading on the PS2 apparently. Of course I'm unsure with my research and that's why I'm posting here to find out more.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Must admit I've been quite tempted to acquire a consolised one on few occasions. I hear you can even do a network rom loading setup like for Naomi... There's not that many games for it but even the ones I'd like to play are quite pricey as you know. The lack of a streamlined Multicart / Everdrive solution is the main reason stopping me from jumping on it. Same situation with the IGS PGM actually.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

You need to tell me about this streaming games onto the system like the NAOMI. Now I'm really tempted to try things out.

That said I also considered picking up a NAOMI but there's like only two games I want to play on it and that is Virtua Fighter 4 Final Tuned and Akatsuki. All the rest on NAOMI have been ported to the Dreamcast. Not really worth it as the Dreamcast is essentially a NAOMI AES :D

I'm starting to realize why I've been so fascinated with this whole arcade system thing since purchasing a supergun. Its the fact that you can still pop game cartridges in these systems like a console.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

werk91 wrote:I hear you can even do a network rom loading setup like for Naomi...
You could go the other way, many Atomiswave games have been patched so they can run on a Naomi.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Unseen wrote:
werk91 wrote:I hear you can even do a network rom loading setup like for Naomi...
You could go the other way, many Atomiswave games have been patched so they can run on a Naomi.
On real hardware? I know you can via emulation but never heard on actual real hardware
werk91

Post by werk91 »

That was it! I had things mixed up sorry Shelcoof! In any case here's a video demonstrating it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOtELtarxjo
Maybe there is a way to do this via the network communication cart on the Atomiswave directly. Its all fairly unknown territory for me. I was speaking with the guy that made my CMVS and he said that he's done them for other people before, Naomi kits with a netboot device that was pretty sure a raspberry pi with a tiny screen and you select the rom name on the display and press a button which flashes the game to the arcade board. And he said that Atomiswave games are supported also. If you search the net for "atomiswave netboot" or "naomi atomiswave netboot" you're bound to find plenty of info out there.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I'll check that out for sure
That's fascinating that this can be done

I wonder if the Taito systems can do this as well.
I think I stumbled on a video where the guy says he has a ton of games on his Taito X. Seeing how the games are on HDD.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Taito Type X/X2/X3 are an entirely different beast. They're just PCs running an embedded version of windows. You can run whatever you want on them.

AW on Naomi works *really* well.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

DejahThoris wrote:Taito Type X/X2/X3 are an entirely different beast. They're just PCs running an embedded version of windows. You can run whatever you want on them.

So it's true then? You can play Atomiswave on NOAMI?

If that is the case I wonder why they moved over from NAOMI to Atomiswave
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Shelcoof wrote:
DejahThoris wrote:Taito Type X/X2/X3 are an entirely different beast. They're just PCs running an embedded version of windows. You can run whatever you want on them.

It's true, but it's fan-made hacking to make AW roms run on a netboot'ed Naomi setup, not anything official.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

DejahThoris wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:

It's true, but it's fan-made hacking to make AW roms run on a netboot'ed Naomi setup, not anything official.
When I get a chance I'm going to look it up. Does this mean Atomiswave is essentially an upgrade NAOMI or NAOMI 2?
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Shelcoof wrote:Does this mean Atomiswave is essentially an upgrade NAOMI or NAOMI 2?
no it's less powerful than a NAOMI - it's more like a dreamcast
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

maxtherabbit wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:Does this mean Atomiswave is essentially an upgrade NAOMI or NAOMI 2?
That's what boggles my mind is that why would they move over to the Atomiswave instead of stick with the NAOMI.
Unseen

Post by Unseen »

Shelcoof wrote:That's what boggles my mind is that why would they move over to the Atomiswave instead of stick with the NAOMI.
Who is "they"?
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

I have one sitting on the shelve as well as a Naomi 2. With a different flex dchdmi will plug in. Does the atomiswave use the maple protocol for controllers?
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Shelcoof wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:
That's what boggles my mind is that why would they move over to the Atomiswave instead of stick with the NAOMI.
The Atomiswave wasn't released by Sega.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I thought it was a joint effort by Sega and Sammy
Ashura

Post by Ashura »

Atomiswave was meant as a budget platform. It was less powerful than the Naomi but also cheaper. It was meant to be attractive for developers who didn’t need the full power or ram of the Naomi, and since they had phased out the MVS due to the games being pirated so fast, it was attractive to people like SNK Playmore.

This was also around the time they stopped production on the Dreamcast I believe, so one of the reasons I figure the Atomiswave is so similar to Dreamcast is it’s likely built on parts SEGA had originally set aside for the Dreamcast. My guess is they repurposed all this stuff to make Atomiswave.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Wow makes sense considering the Atimiswave is like the size of a Dreamcast