Ideal humidity to store CRTs long term

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
andykara2003

Ideal humidity to store CRTs long term

Post by andykara2003 »

I’m looking to find the correct humidity to keep and use my collection of CRTs long term. I have the temperature controlled to a steady 18-19 degrees and a dehumidifier keeping the humidity at 45-55 percent all year round.

It’s taken quite a long time and a lot of care to build my collection of very nice low hours sets. I’d obviously like them to last as long as possible - they get a couple of hours of use a week at the most, but I make sure they get used periodically as I gather non-use for long periods doesn’t do them any good.

The humidity is critical as I don’t want to dry out any capacitors or any other components too much and obviously too much humidity is bad for the sets. I realise I have the humidity within quite a good range, but I’m looking to find the absolute optimum out of two scenarios: between 45% and 50% or between 50% and 55%.

I know this sounds picky, but I’m looking for the absolute ideal value bearing in mind that I’m thinking in terms of decades of storage/use.

It would take someone with quite an in-depth knowledge of CRTs to answer this rather specific question, so if it’s OK, I would respectfully ask anyone who has a vague opinion or guess not to answer. Apologies if that sounds rude, it’s just that I’m looking for a genuine expert opinion about a relatively narrow humidity range, thanks.
Taiyaki

Re: Ideal humidity to store CRTs long term

Post by Taiyaki »

I don't think anyone can say with certainty. In general if it's stored somewhere in the house and not in a basement or attic, then that's already a good first step. Maybe wrapping it up with bubble wraper or paper to avoid any dust build up is a good idea too. I don't think it's necessary to have it constantly in a temperature and humidity regulated environment if it's not being used, but if you can then it doesn't hurt.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

68*F, dry/no humidity, the screen not facing sunlight, with bubble wrap on top.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

GeneraLight wrote:68*F, dry/no humidity, the screen not facing sunlight, with bubble wrap on top.
Good point. No sunlight on the tube (makes it hot) bubble wrap all around is even better, anything to protect it is good. Storing it away from heaters too obviously. I tend to put them in closets but this probably won't work for the very large tubes 27 and up.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Hoarding for the apocalypse, eh? :wink:

Just teasing. Seriously, I think the sensible steps you've already taken should be enough. Quality CRTs already last ~ a decade under normal use - given that you've handpicked ones as close to new as possible and are continuing to put them under much less strain than the typical consumer would, they should have many years of good life ahead of them.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

I agree. CRTs really don't need kid gloves like that. I've seen them survive horrible abuse and still work just fine. Most of the issues people have is from use, not from storage.

The thing that seems to need the most looking after is the caps. My experience has been that they are the first thing to go and the first thing to try replacing when age related issues start occurring. So keep a caps kit on hand.

Aside from that, I wouldn't worry if they are not being used unless you live in some unusually harsh climate, or you keep them in a super dusty work space. Mine have lasted just fine in my basement and garage in New York. I recently threw away a Sony Trinitron that had been stored in my parents loft in the Uk since I bought it in 1993. It worked just fine too without a single issue (that it didn't arrive with).

The main thing to do, if the goal is to keep them working long term, is stock up on spare parts and maybe buy a replacement chassis while you still can.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Thanks guys, great advice and very much appreciated.

What about dust - will dust buildup damage a CRT? I've read a ex CRT engineer's post where he says that dust wouldn't damage a set, but I've also seen people say the opposite. Although dry and temperature regulated, the cellar where I keep the sets is a bit dusty and I've noticed a buildup on the sets.

At the moment I have five of the sets in use, so can't wrap or cover them. Will the dust eventually damage them, or can I mitigate that by taking the backs off and using compressed air (or hoover with soft attachment?) on them every so often?
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

If I open up a set and see dust to me it's a sign of age, but not much more. When I found new in box crt's that's when I knew they truly were new, not a speck of dust and all the boards inside were glossy new.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

andykara2003 wrote:Thanks guys, great advice and very much appreciated.

What about dust - will dust buildup damage a CRT? I've read a ex CRT engineer's post where he says that dust wouldn't damage a set, but I've also seen people say the opposite. Although dry and temperature regulated, the cellar where I keep the sets is a bit dusty and I've noticed a buildup on the sets.

At the moment I have five of the sets in use, so can't wrap or cover them. Will the dust eventually damage them, or can I mitigate that by taking the backs off and using compressed air (or hoover with soft attachment?) on them every so often?
Dust doesn't damage Electronics unless it is enough to clog moving parts (which CRT's don't really have). Devices that are sensitive to dust issues like projectors usually have dust filters (at least mine do anyway).

I had an old Wells Gardner in my garage. I.e. a crt without even a protective case. I was going to throw it away (due to burn in) so I left it uncovered for a number of years. I do a lot of carbon fiber work in there and I also have a CNC machine. That old monitor was covered in dust and debris. It practically had to be excavated but it still turned on and worked years later. I just vacuumed the debris and dust with my shop vac.

The only devices I have ever damaged with dust and debris is ones with motors. I have stopped a bunch of power tools and compressors working but even they usually work again when the blockage is removed.

If you want to keep them clean, just put them in a box when in storage.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

My concern with dust was always with the buildup INSIDE the set that would have to happen over time through the generous vent slats present. Wouldn't that at the very least reduce heat dissipation from ideal levels? I don't know enough to say how harmful this could actually be.

Maybe do something as simple and cheap as covering the rear portion of the sets with a flat sheet while they're stored, if you're concerned.
andykara2003

Post by andykara2003 »

Classicgamer wrote:I had an old Wells Gardner in my garage. I.e. a crt without even a protective case. I was going to throw it away (due to burn in) so I left it uncovered for a number of years. I do a lot of carbon fiber work in there and I also have a CNC machine. That old monitor was covered in dust and debris. It practically had to be excavated but it still turned on and worked years later. I just vacuumed the debris and dust with my shop vac.
Thanks very much for that, that's reassuring.
bigbadboaz wrote:My concern with dust was always with the buildup INSIDE the set that would have to happen over time through the generous vent slats present.
Thanks - although I think classicgamer was referring to dust inside the case as his wells gardner has no case.