Analogue DAC

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
strygo

Analogue DAC

Post by strygo »

https://www.analogue.co/dac/

It's finally available for preorder - $79.99. I'm still on the fence myself, since I have original systems already hooked up to my analog displays. I was surprised to see it doesn't support the Nt Mini (I regrettably don't have one however.)
H6rdc0re

Re: Analogue DAC

Post by H6rdc0re »

Why should it support the NT Mini? That already has analog output out of the box.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Wish this worked with any source and not just their FPGA clone consoles. Could replace high quality but more expensive HDMI to analogue adapters like the HDFury's.
H6rdc0re wrote:Why should it support the NT Mini? That already has analog output out of the box.
There would be use for the non-mini second edition NTs that can only output composite and HDMI.
strygo

Post by strygo »

H6rdc0re wrote:Why should it support the NT Mini? That already has analog output out of the box.
Doh, you're right. :)
muggsy

Post by muggsy »

Shipping to New Zealand or Australia seems to be $89.99 which is more than the DAC itself

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

Pardon my severe ignorance, as I don't own any Analogue consoles, nor have I heard of this device before. What exactly is its use and why does it only work with Analogue consoles?
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

fernan1234 wrote:Wish this worked with any source and not just their FPGA clone consoles. Could replace high quality but more expensive HDMI to analogue adapters like the HDFury's.
^ Yup.
That’s an unfortunate business choice.
If it worked for any source I’d be all over it. But as is, you can get an original SNES and RGB cables for cheaper than this.
I’m sure their target market would quadruple if it worked with other sources. Having it only tied to their consoles just stifles/limits the overall success of this.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Wishfully hopes for jailbreak firmware...
strygo

Post by strygo »

I hadn't initially considered it, but someone on Twitter asked if a switch could be put between the consoles and the DAC. If not, you potentially need two of them if you want a seamless setup.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

strygo wrote:I hadn't initially considered it, but someone on Twitter asked if a switch could be put between the consoles and the DAC. If not, you potentially need two of them if you want a seamless setup.
I believe I heard that it goes into a special mode that's not really HDMI spec. Based on my ad hoc testing of switches. I wouldn't hold hope of an automatic switch working well in that scenario. Maybe a manual one though. Especially if it's just mechanical.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It's shame that the demo units are out there and still no one tested this thing with a hdmi matrix switch or splitter.

I'd like to know how the communication between the two units works and what's neccessary to enable 240p output on the console side (just some special EDID is actually the FPGA on the other end being present?). With a matrix switch between the units (enabling the 240p output to other sinks than the DAC) it would be possible to try other HDMI to analogue converters.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

I had heard that MLiG tested it through an HDMI switch or something, and it worked, but I don't know the sort of compatibility or limitations it might have, or anything about the setup they were testing.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

What a dumb product. Talk about catering to the niche of the niche. And a 6 month pre-order on top of that after 2 years of teasing it. They'll be lucky if they sell 200 of these.

For 100$ I can go buy hd retrovision cables and an old snes. Ya I get it, it works with 2 systems.....wow?

Hey analogue, make a cheaper nt mini already how about selling a product people actually want?

that is all
korpse413

Post by korpse413 »

Does this thing only care about 960 / 1080p in?

Can this be used as a downscaler of 480p content I wonder?
Elrinth

Post by Elrinth »

well it does give support for the 32x i guess for the mega sg. and allows you to play zapper games.
other than that I don't see much purpose of it.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Elrinth wrote:well it does give support for the 32x i guess for the mega sg. and allows you to play zapper games.
other than that I don't see much purpose of it.
Where is it officially confirmed that 32x is supported? I saw no mention of it
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

korpse413 wrote:Does this thing only care about 960 / 1080p in?

This thing is a DAC, not a downscaler. The console is going to send it 240p or 480i and let the DAC convert that to the analog output format.
mario64 wrote:Where is it officially confirmed that 32x is supported? I saw no mention of it
Confirmed via twitter. Smokemonster has demonstrated that use case in action.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Guspaz wrote:

This thing is a DAC, not a downscaler. The console is going to send it 240p or 480i and let the DAC convert that to the analog output format.
mario64 wrote:Where is it officially confirmed that 32x is supported? I saw no mention of it
I’m skeptical of any claims which aren’t officially documented on the product page and/or user manual. Neither mention 32x support that I can see
parodius

Post by parodius »

It's implied in the first of those 2 bullet points

Code: Select all

Special Features
- Compatible with CRT only peripherals
- Works with light guns
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

parodius wrote:It's implied in the first of those 2 bullet points

Code: Select all

Special Features
- Compatible with CRT only peripherals
- Works with light guns
That’s not the way I read it. Plus, 32x support would be a huge selling point. Why on earth would they just ‘imply’ it?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

That’s not the way I read it. Plus, 32x support would be a huge selling point. Why on earth would they just ‘imply’ it?
because the cables required are not easily available and don't want to "support" that. You need a RGB cable running from the DAC's output to the 32X passthrough/mixing input.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

mario64 wrote:
Guspaz wrote:

I’m skeptical of any claims which aren’t officially documented on the product page and/or user manual. Neither mention 32x support that I can see
It's because the Mega Sg is HDMI only and you can't "support" that since the 32X is supposed to be connected in an analog fashion only, you first need to change that from HDMI to analog and the DAC does just that.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

I wonder ehat the case will be like, it looks a bit like the typical homebrew plexi sandwich style but it does seem closed and have proper cut holes. Not really fond of the transparent concept renders, it has a cheapass look.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

A) Yes, it allows you to use 32x.

B) Who cares.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

tusecsy wrote:A) Yes, it allows you to use 32x.

B) Who cares.
virtua racing, virtua fighter, star wars arcade, wrestlemania arcade
awe444

Post by awe444 »

Regarding use of the DAC with the 32x: I wonder if it’d be possible (via some feature in the firmware) for the Mega Sg output (i.e., 32X input) pixels to be locked (or at least tuneable) to the same phase as the 32X’s rendered (foreground) pixels. This would finally allow for pixel-perfect 1:1 sampling of the 32X with the OSSC.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Yeah this'll be a pass for me, I can't really see a lot of point in the device - if I'm using a CRT I'll just use original hardware at a fraction of the cost of a Super NT / Mega SG. I purchased the Analogue devices because I no longer have a CRT hanging around - I have tried to talk my wife into letting me get one on eBay for the spare bedroom (which is my sort of game room) so I can hook up a PS2 / Saturn etc, but I'm not allowed to bring anymore "junk" into the house - its probably not a good time to tell her about my increasing mid life crisis urge to buy an arcade cab :lol:
jd213

Post by jd213 »

So is this device only for 240p output? It doesn't allow the SuperNT/MegaSG to output 480p/720p/etc to a VGA monitor?

The lack of digital audio output is also disappointing. The HDMI Fury 2 I got more than 10 years ago seems like a much better package overall.
tusecsy

Post by tusecsy »

DAC is back up for preorder, even though they said they weren't making more?

Kinda a good idea to have one in the future for Pocket shenanigans on analogue displays.

But most of note is Ghostly Super NT is "ghostly" back in stock without an annoucement...
ldeveraux

Post by ldeveraux »

tusecsy wrote:Kinda a good idea to have one in the future for Pocket shenanigans on analogue displays.
Ironic, considering you said this in September:

"What a dumb product. Talk about catering to the niche of the niche. And a 6 month pre-order on top of that after 2 years of teasing it. They'll be lucky if they sell 200 of these."