MOD RGB on neck board

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
brunofree

MOD RGB on neck board

Post by brunofree »

hello guys, how to do mod RGB on a crt neck board? can anybody help me?
buttersoft

Re: MOD RGB on neck board

Post by buttersoft »

Succinct. You inject RGB at a level the neckboard expects, of course. Looking to do this to get a brighter image from an old tube is a bad idea.
There are ways to overdrive a consumer CRT, but they generally involve bypassing the feedback circuits on the beam current, which also messes with the x-ray protection circuit. Injecting your own amplified RGB direct to the neckboard is one way to do this - it's probably ok to do that medically speaking if you maintain an image no brighter than the TV could normally go, but if you boost the brightness or contrast you're upping the ionising radiation geometrically.
brunofree

Post by brunofree »

buttersoft wrote:Succinct. You inject RGB at a level the neckboard expects, of course. Looking to do this to get a brighter image from an old tube is a bad idea.
There are ways to overdrive a consumer CRT, but they generally involve bypassing the feedback circuits on the beam current, which also messes with the x-ray protection circuit. Injecting your own amplified RGB direct to the neckboard is one way to do this - it's probably ok to do that medically speaking if you maintain an image no brighter than the TV could normally go, but if you boost the brightness or contrast you're upping the ionising radiation geometrically.
thanks for the answer buttersoft i think I will opt for a transcoder
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

If the TV is fed by RGB lines at the neck, as many CRTs are, it should be a relatively straightforward but potentially dangerous mod. You rarely see it done that way though, so I assume there is a reason.

both of my arcade monitors are fed RGB into the neckboard via a separate I/O board. But they are strictly analog. There's no OSD, or digital controls.

It seems like something best left to people who understand enough about CRTs to avoid electrocution. I don't like the idea of plugging cables into ports connected directly to the neck.

Maybe start with one of the OSD RGB mods that others have already done successfully.