What's the Color Temperatures of all The Handhelds?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lawfer

What's the Color Temperatures of all The Handhelds?

Post by Lawfer »

It was recently reported by Digital Foundry that the new Switch models have a red tint that was not present in the original Switch launch models, basically in the original launch switch the whites where white while on the new model the whites have a red tint, meaning it's using a "candle" color temperature making me think that Nintendo lowered the color temperatures by quite a bit, probably this also helps with the improved battery life (candle color temperatures would require less power than say daylight color temperatures).

Same thing with the PSP-2000 models, these where reported to be very yellowish, making me think it's using a "halogen" color temperature, which would also require less power.

Like for example, some 3DS would have the upper screen be cool while their bottom screen would be warm, but from what I am reading this is vary variable.
Konsolkongen

Re: What's the Color Temperatures of all The Handhelds?

Post by Konsolkongen »

I haven’t seen the new Switch-screens in person, but I would assume that the warmer color tint means a more accurate picture. Most handhelds I own have too cool color temps compared to a properly calibrated screen.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I'm going to guess it's pretty variable across all handhelds.

PSP 3000 / 2DS XL / 3DS XL certainly aren't consistent.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Is D93 still the standard in Japan? Or have they moved over to D65?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

fernan1234 wrote:Is D93 still the standard in Japan? Or have they moved over to D65?
Technically they should have (I think it was in 2013 or 2012?), but it seems that 3DS have varying color temperature, you might get a 3DS with the upper screen that has a color temperature of 9300K and lower screen with a color temperature of something else.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

My DSi XL has a very cool top screen and a very warm bottom screen. I just don't think Nintendo cares about screen QC.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Lawfer wrote:
fernan1234 wrote:Is D93 still the standard in Japan? Or have they moved over to D65?
Technically they should have (I think it was in 2013 or 2012?), but it seems that 3DS have varying color temperature, you might get a 3DS with the upper screen that has a color temperature of 9300K and lower screen with a color temperature of something else.
2DS XL, 3DS XL and PSP 3000 too. I would be shocked if PSP 1000/2000s were any more consistent. I've also heard of DSi and Vita consoles with varying color temperatures. Handhelds aren't calibrated. People don't care and hardware manufacturers don't care.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

bobrocks95 wrote:My DSi XL has a very cool top screen and a very warm bottom screen. I just don't think Nintendo cares about screen QC.
I thought the DSi XLs all had calibrated screens.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

GeneraLight wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:My DSi XL has a very cool top screen and a very warm bottom screen. I just don't think Nintendo cares about screen QC.
I thought the DSi XLs all had calibrated screens.
On my DSi LL one of the screens is warmer than the other.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

I have five Switches now, and they are not consistent. Three pre-first-update, and two Let's Go ones that came as the first hardware revision in an attempt to kill piracy. Don't have the new "improved battery" revision, but will have some Switch Lites in a couple weeks here.

Two have fairly white whites (one Let's Go, one original), one has pretty blue whites (original), and two yellow-ish (one Let's Go, one original). It's not much different than 3DS's, you can line three of them up and none will match the others in temperature.

Vita and the 2DS XL's seem to be most consistent from handheld to handheld than anything else in my experience. Our PSP's aren't the same, DS/DSi/DSi LL's aren't the same, 3DS models aren't the same.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Five?
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

bigbadboaz wrote:Five?
Yeah, we had one for on-line, one for on the go with ReinX, one with SX OS for setting in the entertainment center with an external hard drive. Then the pokemon ones because both me and my fiance' each really wanted one.

I actually got two of them in trade for a bunch of doubles I had in my collection.

DS was far and away my favorite console, and now Switch is taking its place.
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

If they're any good it should be D65 and that should be for every device with a display.