PS2 Import CD games work with HD loader?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Classicgamer

PS2 Import CD games work with HD loader?

Post by Classicgamer »

Please can someone tell me if you can play Jap import CD based PS2 games like Virtua Cop Re-Birth on an American fat PS2 with a hard drive and HD loader?

I know that PS2 games that came on DVD can be patched to work on consoles from other regions. But I realized today that Virtua Cop was a CD game and that the patching program doesn't always work with these, even if you convert the .bin to an ISO.

So, is there a way to play CD imports via a hard drive or am I going to have to install that Modbo 5 chip I have been putting off?
Pikkon

Re: PS2 Import CD games work with HD loader?

Post by Pikkon »

I use OPL and it works fine with cd based jpn iso's.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

From memory you need to combine multiple bins into 1 (can use psio software for this)
Then convert the single bin/cue to iso.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

The region check is done by the DVD drive, if you're using HDLoader (which you shouldn't since it's pretty outdated compared to OPL) then it doesn't apply for playing games.

However, you can't use HDLoader to rip the game from the CD, you need some other way of transferring it to the HDD.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Pikkon wrote:I use OPL and it works fine with cd based jpn iso's.

From disc or from an HDD? If you run it from a disc, how did you patch the CD based game? Even when I combine the .bin and .cue and convert it to an ISO (with Win ISO), the patcher says it's missing a UDC indicator.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

ZellSF wrote:The region check is done by the DVD drive, if you're using HDLoader (which you shouldn't since it's pretty outdated compared to OPL) then it doesn't apply for playing games.

However, you can't use HDLoader to rip the game from the CD, you need some other way of transferring it to the HDD.
If it works without patching then I can transfer it to my HDD with my laptop easily enough.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Ah, I didn't realize the image had to be a min of 1.4gb for the patch and burn to work. This explains why I was able to convert some .bin games to patched ISO and not others.

Win ISO has options to add the UDF descriptor but I assumed that it only worked on some games due to compatibility limitations with FreeMcboot.
Drunk_Caterpillar

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar »

I own a few DVD and CD based NTSC-J imports for the PS2 and they work great through my HDD loading software of choice (OPL). I rip them as ISOs with a computer though, and then load them on to the PS2's HDD by connecting it directly to my Windows machine.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

It's been said already but use OPL not hdloader.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I was about to chime in and say yes but now I'm unsure because I go back and forth with HD Loader and actual Physical discs.

I can tell you though HD Loader can boot CD games from different regions. Dragon Blaze for example. I can load both the JP and PAL.

I have dumped my own ISO of both copies and uploaded them onto my HDD via loading software.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Classicgamer wrote:

Ah, I didn't realize the image had to be a min of 1.4gb for the patch and burn to work. This explains why I was able to convert some .bin games to patched ISO and not others.

Win ISO has options to add the UDF descriptor but I assumed that it only worked on some games due to compatibility limitations with FreeMcboot.
ESR patching is only if you want to play (or rip) games via your disc drive. You should not need it if you use HDLoader and transfer games from a PC or via network.

I'm actually a bit surprised ESR patched games work with HDLoader at all.
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Yeah I dont know where I got the idea he wanted to play the games off real media, ESR is a pain in the butt.

OPL is the way to go.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

I use both a hard drive and disc's with free mcboot. I was just a bit stumped with how to play my Jap Virtua Cop re-birth.

I only own two foreign games for my PS2 (virtua cop and He-man) so I haven't had to think about how to handle imports until now.

None of the sites I use carry jap or pal region games, even where no American version exists, which is annoying as I'm forced to deal with original discs.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

Back when I completed my JP collection (only to avoid having to manually rip all of the discs I already own, of course) I had to sign up for a month's premium account at one of those file locker sites.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

fernan1234 wrote:Back when I completed my JP collection (only to avoid having to manually rip all of the discs I already own, of course) I had to sign up for a month's premium account at one of those file locker sites.

I don't like signing up for stuff like that. I've had too many issues with credit card fraud and viruses. I've had to nuke my hard drive and start over countless times trying to find reliable and safe download sites...

It's odd that all the free and safe sites only carry American titles when so many systems only released large chunks of their library in Japan. Sega were particularly stupid in this respect.

I always wondered if the Genesis and Turbo Grafx would have gained a larger market share in America if they would have released all the Jap games. They didn't even release Taito games like Rainbow Islands and New Zealand story outside Japan....

Personally, I don't think anyone can claim a full set for any system unless they have all the games released in all countries.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

The problem is that PS2 games are relatively large, around 4GB per disc, so it's not easy to maintain adequate storage for the entire collection (NTSC-J games are more numerous than any other region).

BTW I didn't have any problems, you can buy premium accounts for a month using Paypal which is safe, that was more than enough time for me to download all the images I needed.
Steamflogger Boss

If you get viruses and have to wipe hdds you've done something really wrong. I've never had that happen and I have downloaded quite a bit. This was awhile ago though I just buy everything now.

But yeah you aren't even really playing Nec/Hudson's console if you are limiting yourself to US releases. Same for most consoles but that one and the Saturn are extreme.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

fernan1234 wrote:The problem is that PS2 games are relatively large, around 4GB per disc, so it's not easy to maintain adequate storage for the entire collection (NTSC-J games are more numerous than any other region).

BTW I didn't have any problems, you can buy premium accounts for a month using Paypal which is safe, that was more than enough time for me to download all the images I needed.
PayPal does give me more confidence. My Paypal account has never been hacked. Maybe I'll try if I find more import only titles I want.

I've had my eye on an original Gunvari collection plus Time Crisis disc so I can use my Guncon 2 recoil gun, even though I already have an original TC1 PS1 disc.
Steamflogger Boss

For awhile ps1 and ps2 imports were mostly dirt cheap due to low interest. I bought many during this time.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:For awhile ps1 and ps2 imports were mostly dirt cheap due to low interest. I bought many during this time.
care to mention a few PS1 JP imports? I'm having a hell of a hard time.

I have both Raiden games so far and DoDonPachi. A few other junkie fighters like Toshinden 2 and Dragon Ball Fighting games lol

That's about it though
Steamflogger Boss

Ore No Ryouri :lol: :lol: :lol:
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Shelcoof wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:For awhile ps1 and ps2 imports were mostly dirt cheap due to low interest. I bought many during this time.
care to mention a few PS1 JP imports? I'm having a hell of a hard time.

I have both Raiden games so far and DoDonPachi. A few other junkie fighters like Toshinden 2 and Dragon Ball Fighting games lol

That's about it though

For a start these 200 should get you started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSlGv9aFk4o

And the full list here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... E2%80%93L)

If you want to seriously collect legit games for the PS1 and PS2 you would literally have to buy 3 of each console as there are so many quality titles that were only released in one or two regions.