MVS soft DIP reset

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shmupsrocks

MVS soft DIP reset

Post by shmupsrocks »

I just noticed that my Metal Slug 3 MVS cart only gives me a single life which must be controlled by a soft DIP. Can I just remove the coin cell battery from my MVS motherboard for a few seconds to reset the soft DIP settings for all of my MVS games? If so are there any drawbacks to doing this?
it290

Re: MVS soft DIP reset

Post by it290 »

That should be no problem, although obviously you'll lose the settings and data for any other games. IIRC settings are only stored for 8 games at a time, so you could also just boot up games until the MS3 settings are lost assuming you have enough carts. Of course, if you have a Unibios or a test button wired up you can just access the soft DIP settings directly and change them.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

all 8 dip on then powering will do a backup ram reset.
shmupsrocks

Post by shmupsrocks »

All 8 DIP on worked great!
Ryoandr

Post by Ryoandr »

note that dip 1 on while powering will bring the setup menu which allows to setup soft dips
Neo-Alec

Post by Neo-Alec »

Dip 1 also gives access to the Hardware Test menu, which contains the option to clear the backup ram, which will have the same effect as turning on all the switches at power on.

If you have a dirty system or games, then this option is your friend. It's also just handy to know as a troubleshooting measure -- it's not uncommon for the soft dips to be initialized incorrectly, usually due to a bad connection to the game's P rom.