Gaming on 77" Oled

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
vol.2

Re: Gaming on 77" Oled

Post by vol.2 »

fernan1234 wrote:even though it's the same panel.
interesting. the japanese website claims that their panels are panasonic panels "made in-house." I wonder if they are just referring to their added lighting tech?
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

LG is the only company currently making TV-scale OLED panels, so yeah, Panasonic and Sony are both using LG's panels, the same ones that go into LG OLEDs. And from a gaming standpoint, LG's TVs are the only ones of interest because they seem to be the only one focusing on gaming-focused features, like low latency, and VRR/G-Sync. That doesn't mean that they're going to be the best for film or television use, though.

Panasonic boosting peak brightness just means they've tweaked the panel driver to throw more power at it... which any of the companies could do, the problem is that it shortens the lifespan, which means burn-in happens much faster.

While I have admittedly never used a true HDR display in HDR mode (like, my parents have an LG OLED that I watch stuff on a bunch, but not in HDR), I've calibrated my desktop monitor for 150 nit, which can already be too bright in darker areas. So when I see that LG's OLEDs have an HDR peak brightness of roughly 850 nits (for up to a 10% window), it makes me wonder if higher is really needed. You've got an infinite contrast ratio and the ability to make objects nearly six times brighter than what I'd consider to be a comfortable brightness...
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

The real problem regarding brightness and OLED is that even though they can technically advertise around 800 or more nits peak brightness on a tiny window, they utterly fail to offer a punchy bright picture on overall bright scenes, ironically even on SD content mastered at 100 nits, because the ABL will kick in to protect the panel.

If you have access to any WOLED by any manufacturer, try displaying a full picture yellow slide, or pink, and of course white. My calibrated CRTs can display these much more brightly than the OLED! This will be the case regardless of how much brightness or OLED light is increased, since by design it will be cancelled out by the ABL, more aggressively the more they are increased in an attempt to compensate.

So for SDR content, which includes upscaled retro stuff of course, the brightness limitations of OLED are huge. Any boost in brightness tolerance would help, like with the Panasonic sets, but an LCD-based approach like dual-cell will be superior with no ABL at all. That's one of the main reasons why Sony chose them for their mastering monitors (besides the RGB OLED panels being expensive as hell to produce).
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

The LG C9 OLED SDR sustained 100% window brightness figure (which means, after ABL is taken into account) is 151 nit, which is basically what I've calibrated my computer monitor for, so... 100 nit content wouldn't pose a problem as far as pure white is concerned. I'd imagine the sustained full-screen brightness would be less on red/green/blue. You can basically disable ABL on them as well, at the cost of a drop in peak brightness... but that's not really affecting the 100% window sustained test.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

In pitch black room it can probably be okay. But when I had one displaying the same content next to a CRT, it was way too disappointing. The bright scenes and colors just felt so dull in comparison. Experiencing real life content on it for about 6 months was enough to basically give up on consumer OLEDs for good.

It's too bad because OLED itself can be amazing. The pro RGB OLEDs have the best picture I've ever seen, and have features that would be a dream to have on bigger consumer sets (rolling scan, native scan display, interlaced emulation, etc.). Too bad those will never make it into the consumer space. As WOLED has peaked, an improved LCD solution like dual-layer has better chances until micro LED rolls in affordably.