PC Engine Duo-R Crashing on loading screens

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

PC Engine Duo-R Crashing on loading screens

Post by bobrocks95 »

I just picked up a Duo-R while I was in Japan, and I've mostly been playing Super Darius so far.

Occasionally the game will crash when loading a boss or level. Sometimes it will hang for 30 seconds or so, and then finally load- other times the crash is nastier with garbage graphics popping up.

I'm guessing this is the laser in the disc drive failing since it's on loading screens...
But I also know Duos (less so Duo-R's afaik) are prone to leaky/dry caps. Could this potentially be cap related, or am i sol?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
nmalinoski

Re: PC Engine Duo-R Crashing on loading screens

Post by nmalinoski »

I believe it's recommended that you recap Duo models in general, assuming it hasn't already been done. I'd pop open the console to see if there's any evidence of cap replacement; if not, and/or there's evidence of cap leakage, have the board cleaned and recapped and see if that fixes your issue.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Duo rs don't generally need to be recapped. This sounds like a laser issue 100%.
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

Duo R units don't have cap leak issues. They do however encounter all the usual laser related issues. It might even just need a calibration.
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Are there any guides for laser adjustment that anyone could recommend?

Not sure what to do if I need a new laser assembly... Don't suppose a factory in China is cranking any out?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

bobrocks95 wrote:Are there any guides for laser adjustment that anyone could recommend?

Not sure what to do if I need a new laser assembly... Don't suppose a factory in China is cranking any out?
I know the CDRom2 used one that was common in various CD players. Maybe this is the case for the duo r as well?
Mobiusstriptech

There are actually tons of replacement Chinese lasers available for these. The HOP-M3 laser is very easy to come by. The proper way to adjust these lasers is using an oscilloscope. There are 5 potentiometers to adjust and every laser is different. Console5.com has details on what each pot does and where to connect the oscilloscope for proper reading.

bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:There are actually tons of replacement Chinese lasers available for these. The HOP-M3 laser is very easy to come by. The proper way to adjust these lasers is using an oscilloscope. There are 5 potentiometers to adjust and every laser is different. Console5.com has details on what each pot does and where to connect the oscilloscope for proper reading.
Nice! I found a list of pots on the console5 wiki, but no info on what their readings should be (except one that it said you shouldn't have to mess with unless someone else has)
This was the page I found: https://console5.com/wiki/Turbo_Duo#Ben ... e_CD_Drive
Mobiusstriptech

You aren't going to find readings in terms of specific resistance or anything. To properly make adjustments you need to measure the eye pattern with an oscilloscope.

bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Mobiusstriptech wrote:You aren't going to find readings in terms of specific resistance or anything. To properly make adjustments you need to measure the eye pattern with an oscilloscope.
After looking up videos I see that I'm going for the sharpest eye pattern I can generate, measured while the system is reading a disc.

Considering the cost of even a decent used oscilloscope I think I'll just start with a $14 Chinese replacement laser and go from there. Unless a cheap-ass digital oscilloscope would do.
Mobiusstriptech

The cheapest one that I know of that can be used for these is the OWON oscilloscope. RetroRGB had a video about it. I believe the price was around $100.