Hori Fighting Commander & Mini Wired GamePad

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xyga

Hori Fighting Commander & Mini Wired GamePad

Post by Xyga »

Anyone tried those ?

note: think the Mini is supposed to be smaller than the commander?

Sure they're only wired, lack rumble etc, but personally I don't mind. Most importantly they're cheaper options than the obvious popular ones like 8bitdo.

Just curious to know their worth as basic general pupose emulation + ps4 gamepads (for the ps4 side obviously not for the games that require full sensitive controls)

Also lag ? ^^

PS: Youtube reviews as usual are annoying af with guys that drag on the box and texture of the plastics then go 'its good ' or 'its crap'.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
EmperorIng

Re: Hori Fighting Commander & Mini Wired GamePad

Post by EmperorIng »

The normal Fighting Commander (IIRC I have the HORI FC V) has been my go-to shmup pad for PC/MAME, with a nicely responsive and flexible d-pad. I couldn't comment on the lag, though my brain couldn't register a difference between it and using the keyboard for shmups on MAME. I don't have a PS4 to test it on though (my older bro has them, but he invariably hates all shmups, probably because I like them ;) ).
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

FC V would be the one in the first pic, a bit confusing as not even Hori website specify the version of that series lol.

Found a SRK review that reflects your opinion that it's a good pad: http://shoryuken.com/2017/08/29/shoryuk ... 4xbox-one/

So the D-pad can be switched to simulate either the left or right analogue stick. Interesting convenience addition although I wonder how that fares on long runs with emulated games that control essentially with an analogue stick.

I was interested in the Mini because the sticks are separate but the overall layout doesn't seem as good for whenever gameplay becomes serious.
The right stick seems to get in the way if you see what I mean.
No 6btn for fighting games alos obviously (those are definitely not my priority however).
And small~ish L1/R1 shoulder buttons.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

The first one has a good general reputation with the exception of some complaints that the D-pad actually wears out :/

Personally, I used an older version (same shell) and found the shape uncomfortable - there are large grips on the back - and buttons way too large and flat. You'd have to get the thing into your hands to see how that all works out.
Last edited by bigbadboaz on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Dbl
Gara

Post by Gara »

I really like the second generation Fighting Commander pictured. The first one had an adjustable dpad but I find this newer version more comfortable. It's my go to pad for Groovymame when I don't want a stick. It has a nice long cord and the buttons are easy to press and responsive. The dpad is high quality but will shred your thumb if you're an intense fighting game player. That's kind a risk on any dpad I suppose. The controller is a bit light in the hand. As for lag it is low enough that I can't detect it. I don't have a way of measuring it so that's just anecdotal. Definitely nothing like the lag on a couple of my Madcatz arcade sticks.

I haven't bothered using it on anything but retro stuff so I can't comment on Ps4. It seems to be extremely accurate though. I can easily pull off fighting moves I struggle with on a joystick.
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

Gara wrote:As for lag it is low enough that I can't detect it. I don't have a way of measuring it so that's just anecdotal. Definitely nothing like the lag on a couple of my Madcatz arcade sticks.
Ask and ye shall receive...

https://medium.com/@WydD/controller-input-lag-how-to-measure-it-1ebfd2c9d60
http://www.teyah.net/sticklag/results.html
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Thanks fo the inputs (!)

Yeah found more material reflecting what you guys say, this FC is a good pad overall no question, although opinions about the D-pad and overall comfort vary, but you could say the same about every gamepad out there lol.

Some find it stiff and potentially hard on the thumb indeed. Tho about the wear, I think I've read someone say it's better when it becomes more loose...

No one's done that lag test on this model specifically but there are no complaints either, if it's similar to the FC 4 then 4.5ms is indeed more than acceptable.

Anyway for 35~39 bucks guess that's what you get and it's not too bad.

PS: Mini - what I've found is that it's overall too imprecise for games with demanding gameplay. It works well as a cheap replacement for a missing DS4 if you've lost one or have a guest, to play most every casual stuff, and that's it.
energizerfellow‌

Post by energizerfellow‌ »

Xyga wrote: No one's done that lag test on this model specifically
They have and it's right in the first link I sent.

https://miro.medium.com/max/1000/1*ZsQy ... hkdRpg.png
https://miro.medium.com/max/1000/1*ZC3U ... B4G82g.png
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Shit, I shouldn't speed through articles before I'm enough caffeinated. :lol:

Thanks. Quite good and surprisingly fast on PC.

EDIT: think I'm going for one anyway, but it's funny some sellers say they have stock, some say it's not out yet (september, october?)
Austin

Post by Austin »

I don't have the Fighting Commander but do have one of their Pokken Tournament controllers for Switch and it appears to use the exact same d-pad. It works very well and I didn't have any issues with comfort or accuracy, which is obviously important for shmups.

I do have the Mini controller for PS4 and it's alright. Not great for analog-based stuff as your thumbs will touch each other often, not ideal. D-pad was pretty good though.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Austin wrote:I do have the Mini controller for PS4 and it's alright. Not great for analog-based stuff as your thumbs will touch each other often, not ideal. D-pad was pretty good though.
Saw a video (in fr sorry) the guys was saying it is way harder to throw shoryukens etc with that one. Not that I'm planning to to that often, but even if the D-pad's fine for most uses, such comments seem to hint at some limitations.

He had the same criticism in regards to the lack of space for the two sticks also.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Was about to buy these control pads but reading reviews on amazon.ca and a few other sites that the d-pad and buttons become unresponsive after a short time.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Can't be helped, most 3rd party controllers are fragile, not made for years on intense gaming.

For the price I don't care, telling myself when the dpad and/or buttons die, I'm keeping the pcb to make a stick (since the lag results are pretty great)

Tip: on amazon you'll find comments about anything breaking, anything.
heli

Post by heli »

I have the HORI and made a review right here : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65352&p=1382459#p1382459