Cleaning component jacks on OSSC?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
cave hermit

Cleaning component jacks on OSSC?

Post by cave hermit »

So awhile ago I attempted to hook up my old Wii to my OSSC via component to see if I could get some decent virtual console 240p output on it. Thing is that while unplugging the component cables from my TV, the cable plugs got dragged through some spider webs. I wiped the plugs off with a paper towel before plugging them into my OSSC, but I worry that I didn't wipe them off very well and I may have gotten some spider webs into the component jacks on the OSSC.

Although I couldn't get the Wii to output video through the OSSC for whatever reason (it barely worked when directly plugged into the TV, so probably the cables or the Wii itself), my PS2 output component through my OSSC seemingly fine as far as I could tell. That being said, how resistant are component jacks to debris/dirt buildup? And how would I go about cleaning out component jacks if for whatever reason I had to?

I'm probably worrying about nothing, but I figured I would ask anyway.
maxtherabbit

Re: Cleaning component jacks on OSSC?

Post by maxtherabbit »

if you're hell bent on cleaning them take a cotton swab and rip most of the fuzz off the end (to slim it down) then dip it in 90% or better isopropanol and stick er in and twirl