Finally, decent motorcycle controls for home use?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Classicgamer

Finally, decent motorcycle controls for home use?

Post by Classicgamer »

I came across this "motorcycle simulator" while looking for ideas for the games room in my new house.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/le ... nnie_class

Could this be the first "arcade quality" motorcycle controller for home use? Or is it just the equivalent of a wooden horse with pots... Either way, I like the project!

It looks like they want to charge around $1000 or $1500 for a pair. It seems a little steep to me considering you could find a real twin motorcycle arcade cab (and an Apac) for similar money. What do you guys think? Is this project a winner? Would you spend $1000 on videogame controls if they were good enough?
nmalinoski

Re: Finally, decent motorcycle controls for home use?

Post by nmalinoski »

This bike peripheral appears to be a different product with a different purpose compared to arcade hardware. Sure, you could spend similar money on a twin bike cab, but it takes up an exorbitant amount of space, and you're not going to get compatibility with console and/or VR solutions out of the box.

This peripheral, on the other hand, looks like it can be stored like a piece of exercise equipment, and it will supposedly work out-of-the-box with console and VR games.

So which one is better really depends on what you want out of a bike setup like that.

...Is anyone working on a jet ski or snowboard peripheral?
Classicgamer

Re: Finally, decent motorcycle controls for home use?

Post by Classicgamer »

My understanding is that arcade motorcycle controls just use pots for steering so it would be relatively easy to connect them to a PC (or any other device that uses USB controllers) using an Apac. That's how I connect fixed arcade guns to my mame PC.

You make a good point on the space issue though. Being able to fold it away in a closet when not in use seems less likely to cause a divorce.

The most important thing to me is if it is going to genuinely be arcade quality and robust. If it's too light and flimsy then it would feel like an analog joypad you steer with your ass instead of a motor cycle. The arcade ones can be thrown around without toppling them over.

I also think it should only be sold as a twin. It's the sort of thing you'd want to use with friends.