Jumping H and V sync on Nanao MS-2931 to fix autosync issue

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
scrilla4rella

Jumping H and V sync on Nanao MS-2931 to fix autosync issue

Post by scrilla4rella »

Has anyone successfully fixed the auto-sync protection circuit issue on a Nanao MS-2931 (found in the Sega Blast City) by ‘jumping' the Hsync and Vsync on a Nanao MS-2931 monitor? I believe I have diagnosed the issue but am not 100% sure on the best way to go about this.

From what I can gather, I need to take a wire stripped on both ends and then touch the ends to the Hsync and Vsync lead, as described in the wiki entry below. Thanks in advance for any info or advice!
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Nanao_MS-2931

The backstory:

So I’m the proud new owner of a Sega Blast City (my first cab). I played a bunch of Progear on CPS2 when I first got it. The monitor and everything was running like a champ. I got to the 5th level on one credit for the first time, destroying my previous high score (so this is what playing on a cab is all about... :).

I had my fun for the weekend before taking things apart to clean out dust, dirt and nicotine stains before replacing the buttons and sticks.

I gave the monitor and chassis a light dusting and cleaned out the power supply. I put everything back together and now the monitor went and shit the bed :(

As you may be able to tell from the pics the image is scrambled. I have neck glow so I’m assuming I’m getting enough power. I’ve tested with Pandora 3 (finally good for something) through JAMMA and got the same issue. I connected up my Dreamcast via VGA and everything is displaying perfectly so I’m assuming the autosync is not wanting to switch over to 15 Khz.

It was quite a relief to see the 31 khz image display. I actually noticed some burn in for the first time (that dreamcast startup screen has a lot of white) but I was so relieved to get a stable image hat I just didn’t care that much.

Thanks for the help.