Good Electric Screwdriver?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
garrz32

Re: Good Electric Screwdriver?

Post by garrz32 »

These pliers will loosen the screw , they clamp onto the head of the screw, you will more torgue with the pliers than a screwdriver all day long.I wouldn't even bother trying to get an another screw bit for the screw.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

garrz32 wrote:These pliers will loosen the screw , they clamp onto the head of the screw, you will more torgue with the pliers than a screwdriver all day long.
Would the PZ-55 be good enough, or should I get something bigger like a PZ-58 or a PZ-64?

garrz32 wrote:I wouldn't even bother trying to get an another screw bit for the screw.
Oh no I wasn't saying I was gonna get one, I was just showing a picture of a JIS screw bit that's all, the head screw is already damaged so getting another screw bit won't help it anymore.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

This is what you need or similar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-084809 ... 49&sr=8-13

You see how they have a adjustment ball the end , you open the pliers , adjust the screw at the end of the pliers to fit the head of your screw,then you close the pliers which will clamp on the screw. The pliers will be gripped onto the head of the screw.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

garrz32 wrote:This is what you need or similar.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-084809 ... 49&sr=8-13

You see how they have a adjustment ball the end , you open the pliers , adjust the screw at the end of the pliers to fit the head of your screw,then you close the pliers which will clamp on the screw. The pliers will be gripped onto the head of the screw.
I see, thank you, so I guess something like this wouldn't be good enough then?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000TGNVUG/
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Yes, they look like they could do the job for you. I haven't used them so can't confirm.

For those type you would have to hold the handles tight together while unscrewing , where the VICE clamp type ones grip on themselves, leaving you only to turn the pliers with no force.

Does that make sense?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

garrz32 wrote:For those type you would have to hold the handles tight together while unscrewing , where the VICE clamp type ones grip on themselves, leaving you only to turn the pliers with no force.

Does that make sense?
Yes, it's obvious the vice plier (the PZ-64 model), is much much convenient and probably will offer more torque, though it's unfortunately not in stock right now on amazon (they should get more in stock on the 31st).

I'll try with the pictured one (the PZ-55 model) and see if it does the job, if not I'll try to get a PZ-64 see if it will help.

Thanks a ton!
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Lawfer wrote:
garrz32 wrote:For those type you would have to hold the handles tight together while unscrewing , where the VICE clamp type ones grip on themselves, leaving you only to turn the pliers with no force.

Does that make sense?
Yes, it's obvious the vice plier (the PZ-64 model), is much much convenient and probably will offer more torque, though it's unfortunately not in stock right now on amazon (they should get more in stock on the 31st).

I'll try with the pictured one (the PZ-55 model) and see if it does the job, if not I'll try to get a PZ-64 see if it will help.

Thanks a ton!

Aah perfect , happy to help pal, it might be worth your while going to your local hardware store and seeing if they have something similar to the PZ-64.

Here in the UK if I buy something for my store and it does't work I can get a refund ( as long as it's not worn or f88cked ) Nothing to lose!

Let me know how you get on .
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

An update, so I got one of these Engineer PZ-55 pliers (pictured above) and it was worthless.

Then I got one of these PZ-64 pliers instead and I FINALLY managed to get the last remaining screw out, however Engineer in their video guide here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGNp39Jpnlc

Says on step 3 to half-turn the knob and I was doing this at the beginning, however it wouldn't work as half-turning was way too much, you actually only need to turn it just a little, just enough to clamp tight on the screw head, not try to crush it.

So thank you to those who recommended this method.

Electric screwdriver was completely worthless on the other hand, it basically just stripped the screw and didn't even help in getting it out at all. The bits on ther other hand are okay, the issue (especially for screws used in east-asian electronics which seem to be very brittle) is that you need to get EXACTLY the right bit size, shape and pointiness/bluntness on first try otherwise it will start stripping the screw and when that happens even if you then get the proper shaped bit, it might still not be good enough anymore as the screw hole might have already been too distorted from it's original shape by then.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Lawfer wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGNp39Jpnlc

Says on step 3 to half-turn the knob and I was doing this at the beginning, however it wouldn't work as half-turning was way too much, you actually only need to turn it just a little, just enough to clamp tight on the screw head, not try to crush it.

So thank you to those who recommended this method.

Electric screwdriver was completely worthless on the other hand, it basically just stripped the screw and didn't even help in getting it out at all. The bits on ther other hand are okay, the issue (especially for screws used in east-asian electronics which seem to be very brittle) is that you need to get EXACTLY the right bit size, shape and pointiness/bluntness on first try otherwise it will start stripping the screw and when that happens even if you then get the proper shaped bit, it might still not be good enough anymore as the screw hole might have already been too distorted from it's original shape by then.

Guides are just that, guides. Best results are trail/error and experience, glad it worked out for you in the end though 8) .