Sony PSP screen differences between models?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Guspaz

Re: Sony PSP screen differences between models?

Post by Guspaz »

I recently used my DS3 to play through Bloodstained on my PC (there are official Sony drivers for it now, no third party software required), and yeah, every time I disconnected the USB cable from the PC, my PS3 turned on. It was annoying.
Hoagtech

Post by Hoagtech »

Lawfer wrote:
Guspaz wrote:The PSP-2000 and PSP-3000 don't support controllers. So you need to hold the PSP in your hands and get some component extension cables, which is not ideal compared to a dualshock 3.
The original component cable is pretty long, maybe 2.00m? 2.50m? You will have to use the PSP as a controller, but these play UMDs, if not you can install Custom Firmware on a PSPGo and call it a day, there's quite a few fan-translated games too: https://www.romhacking.net/?page=transl ... ssearch=Go

Oh you also need a PS3 to sync the Dualshock 3 to the PSPGo and you will lose the sync each time you rehook the Dualshock 3 on the PS3 needing to redo the process again, the best thing to do is get a dedicated dualshock 3 just for the PSPGo, never hook it again and use the Dualshock 3 Charging Station.
The official component cable is ridiculously short (1.7M) IMO even for a desktop setup.

I have mine gong through AA component switchboxes and then in its own cubby with the ps TV. SO I bought a 25' Component cable and a coupler

These couplers are a godsend though and can be be bought for $5 on ebay.

The PSP feels great in your hand playing on a TV but Sony's decision to place the cable in the lower right corner of the PSP instead of directly on top does feel a little awkward.

One advantage a PS TV jailbroken does have is a full screen stretch. It looks muddy but I prefer it to sharp pixels and a full black bar border.

Sony LCD TV manufactured around 2010-2015 featured a "Portable Mode" which is designed for the PSP and stretches the image edge to edge with non interger scaling albeit. I have the Sony 65W950B which was manufactured 2013.

I have never heard of the euro street ones but that sounds like the winner as I have a collection of about 40 UMD's and would love a progressive screen with a better brightness.
Copyright 1987
jd213

Post by jd213 »

I have the Street, it doesn't have the interlacing of the 3000 but it doesn't have expanded color (or whatever the setting was called), so it looks a bit washed out in comparison, and it doesn't have the button for adjusting brightness, so you need to go into the menu every time you want to adjust it.

My favorite is the Go screen, and I mostly only play RPGs when on the go anyway so I don't mind the form factor much.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Hoagtech wrote:Sony LCD TV manufactured around 2010-2015 featured a "Portable Mode" which is designed for the PSP and stretches the image edge to edge with non interger scaling albeit. I have the Sony 65W950B which was manufactured 2013.
They started earlier than 2010, also someone posted the result here and it wasn't good at all, whereas playing PSP games on the PS TV increase pixelization by 10000 folds, the whole stretching thing on Sony TVs increases blurriness by 10000 folds, the best thing to do is either play it unstretched, play it on a pro CRT monitor and use the settings to fill the whole screen, use an XRGB-3 or use an OSSC + Extron DSC 301 HD.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

A modded PSTV lets you use nearest-neighbor scaling for PSP games, and I believe the Vita has the PSP's CPU, so the emulation seems close to perfect from all the games I've tried. Looks quite sharp, wayyy better than my PSP-2000 hooked up with component.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

bobrocks95 wrote:I believe the Vita has the PSP's CPU
It's been confirmed through PS Vita firmware update info that the PS Vita is using a PSP emulator, it still uses emulation.

See the teardown:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/PlaySta ... rdown/7872
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Lawfer wrote:
It's been confirmed through PS Vita firmware update info that the PS Vita is using a PSP emulator, it still uses emulation.

See the teardown:

The MIPS R4000 CPU from the PSP is included in the Vita's SoC, so all CPU code is executed natively, while the GPU is emulated. IIRC the PS2 does the same with PS1 hardware.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Lawfer wrote:

See the teardown:

The MIPS R4000 CPU from the PSP is included in the Vita's SoC, so all CPU code is executed natively, while the GPU is emulated. IIRC the PS2 does the same with PS1 hardware.
Partial emulation is still emulation, this is why the PS Vita still relies on a PSP Emulator to run PSP games, PS2 on the other doesn't use an emulator to run PS1 games.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

I guess we have to wonder how sensitive the PSP library is to emulation artifacts. I don't really know how specialized the hardware structure of the PSP is, but maybe emulation, especially when done in-house by Sony, doesn't really matter for most titles.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Lawfer wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:
Lawfer wrote:

See the teardown:

Partial emulation is still emulation, this is why the PS Vita still relies on a PSP Emulator to run PSP games, PS2 on the other doesn't use an emulator to run PS1 games.
Never said it wasn't emulation.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Lawfer wrote:PS2 on the other doesn't use an emulator to run PS1 games.
Except the PS2 kind of does emulate much of the PS1:-
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f20/ps1-bac ... ns-120077/
Which leads to a number of compatibility issues:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... yStation_2
Suprisingly some models of PS2 Slim wont even play certain PS2 games!
hurda

Post by hurda »

Link83 wrote:
Lawfer wrote:PS2 on the other doesn't use an emulator to run PS1 games.
Which leads to a number of compatibility issues:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... yStation_2
Suprisingly some models of PS2 Slim wont even play certain PS2 games!
7700x being affected is just wrong, and the cited sources don't mention that model either.
7500x had those incompatibilities due to flaws when Sony merged CPU and GPU, 7700x went back to the two-chip-design of 7000x.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

I was talking about the original PS2, never owned a slim, these don't even have the original PS1 sound card them.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

None of the hardware differences between the PS1 and PS2 matter in terms of how games look, sound or run. I've owned both and for the most part, you couldn't tell which one you were playing the PS1 game on.

Some think there is a slight difference in RGB output clarity but, if it is there, it's too minor for most people to care about.

The PS2 PS1 hardware has none of the issues that people find bothersome about emulation such as differences in game speed, missing frames, missing effects etc.

It's not too different to the minor differences you find in different models of the same console. Manufacturers refine their designs over time and switch to cheaper or more efficient hardware with no meaningful difference in how games run. Using a different gpu or sound card is not the same as emulators using software to emulate hardware.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Classicgamer wrote:Some think there is a slight difference in RGB output clarity but, if it is there, it's too minor for most people to care about.
The PS1 models have a varying different output look, banding in early models, higher brightness in latest models etc.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

hurda wrote:7700x being affected is just wrong, and the cited sources don't mention that model either.
7500x had those incompatibilities due to flaws when Sony merged CPU and GPU, 7700x went back to the two-chip-design of 7000x.
Not sure where you heard that, but the SCPH-7700x series still uses a combined EE+GS chip - its just a further revised version of the chip than the one used on the SCPH-7500x series.

I have no further knowledge of the Slim compatability issues however, so I dont know if the SCPH-7700x fixed any of the issues the SCPH-7500x had. I would be interested to know if anybody has carried out testing to confirm which revisions have issues/were fixed.

<EDIT> Seems its likely the IOP (Input Output Processor) thats the cause of any compatability issues, as from the SCPH-7500x series onwards the IOP is emulated on a PPC processor (IBM PPC 405GP) using the DECKARD emulator. Perhaps Sony tweaked/improved the DECKARD emulator on the SCPH-7700x series onwards to improve compatability?
Lawfer wrote:I was talking about the original PS2, never owned a slim, these don't even have the original PS1 sound card them.
I was referring to all models of PS2, including the original. To quote SP193 from the thread I linked earlier:-
SP193 wrote:There is a MIPS R3000A that has dual operating modes (36MHz and 33MHz) alright, but the GPU of the PlayStation was always emulated in software. This is true, starting from the first [PS2] model (SCPH-10000 GH-001) to the last one (PS2TV PX300-1).
Last edited by Link83 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Lawfer wrote:
Classicgamer wrote:Some think there is a slight difference in RGB output clarity but, if it is there, it's too minor for most people to care about.
The PS1 models have a varying different output look, banding in early models, higher brightness in latest models etc.
Exactly and yet, nobody considers it emulation when playing on a different model. Using different hardware to make the same console does not mean it's emulation. Emulation is where that hardware is replaced with software on a completely different platform.

The PS2 could easily emulate PS1 hardware but they specifically chose to include actual PS1 hardware instead.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Classicgamer wrote:Exactly and yet, nobody considers it emulation when playing on a different model. Using different hardware to make the same console does not mean it's emulation. Emulation is where that hardware is replaced with software on a completely different platform.

The PS2 could easily emulate PS1 hardware but they specifically chose to include actual PS1 hardware instead.
...Except all PS2 models emulate the PS1 GPU in software, not hardware.

<EDIT> Some additional details here:-
https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/wiki/PSX-mode
"To PSX software, it looks like it was talking to a regular PSX GPU while the EE+GS GPU emulation outputs visuals using PS2 hardware."