Is this a modded console?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
2mg

Is this a modded console?

Post by 2mg »

Anyone savvy enough to tell me if this is a mod (Sega Mega Drive 2), and what kind?

PS: this console doesn't really work, could this capacitor be faulty - TV detects a signal, but it's just black, and it doesn't post any boot messages or anything, no sound either.

https://imgur.com/a/o5IVxZP
Konsolkongen

Re: Is this a modded console?

Post by Konsolkongen »

I don't understand the point of those wires. They don't connect anywhere else but where the PCB traces already go. As far as I can see.
copy

Post by copy »

It seems possible it could have come from the factory like that. Console5 shows that the VA3 model 1 sometimes had a cap on the bottom of the board.

https://console5.com/wiki/Genesis#IC_BD_M5_USA_VA3
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Probably the power input had cold joints, and the previous owner didn't trust a reflow to hold, so they used bodge wires to "ensure" a connection. The work looks pretty nasty.

It is hard to tell what else we're looking for with the lighting and blurry camera work, though.
Ruprit

Post by Ruprit »

It's legit.

All of the Model 2s that I have opened (greater than 10) have had that wire work.
2mg

Post by 2mg »

Ruprit wrote:It's legit.

All of the Model 2s that I have opened (greater than 10) have had that wire work.
Any idea why it's throwing a signal out, but it's black? No boot, post, sound, nada, but it's detected by TV (rez mode change).
Ruprit

Post by Ruprit »

2mg wrote:

Any idea why it's throwing a signal out, but it's black? No boot, post, sound, nada, but it's detected by TV (rez mode change).
Not specifically.

If you Google "sega genesis black screen" you will find a ton of results as it seems to be a relatively common issue with a variety of causes. It could be a cable issue, corrosion on the ports, a dirty cartridge port, a broken trace, or something else.
2mg

Post by 2mg »

Ruprit wrote:
2mg wrote:

Not specifically.

If you Google "sega genesis black screen" you will find a ton of results as it seems to be a relatively common issue with a variety of causes. It could be a cable issue, corrosion on the ports, a dirty cartridge port, a broken trace, or something else.
Found a retro fix-it guy in my area, will take a look, thanks.