How do I bass boost my NES?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MidOrFeed2015

How do I bass boost my NES?

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

im looking to pump up the bass on my NES because its kinda low. what kind of wiring can I do to boost it? or what kind of ideal setup would there be to achieve bass boost? i refer to boosting pin 2's channels. appreciate any help that is provided
evil_ash_xero

Re: How do I bass boost my NES?

Post by evil_ash_xero »

That's a good question.

Are you just trying to mod the sound, or do you have anything like an NESRGB? That helped the sound tremendously, in my top loaders. But their sound was horrid. It's still not that bass heavy, like a Genesis or something. The NES doesn't have much soul.
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

What kind of audio system are you using? (Brand, model, speaker arrangement, configuration)

And do the games you're playing even output the low frequencies you want to boost?
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

i do plan to get an NESRGB mod later, but all I want to do is just amp up the pin 2 channels. it's crazy because in mega man 2, ninja gaiden and mario bros 3, there is such good sound coming from the pin 2 channels. but its not easy to hear because of the pin 1's channels overriding.
no amount of bass boosting I do on my denon helps so I turn to the community for help with modifying my console to increase the pin 2 volume.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:i do plan to get an NESRGB mod later, but all I want to do is just amp up the pin 2 channels. it's crazy because in mega man 2, ninja gaiden and mario bros 3, there is such good sound coming from the pin 2 channels. but its not easy to hear because of the pin 1's channels overriding.
no amount of bass boosting I do on my denon helps so I turn to the community for help with modifying my console to increase the pin 2 volume.
Hmm... Well, I hope some tech wiz on here can help. Usually a audio bypass would do the trick for something like this. Like the one for the Genesis (clears up the sound).
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
MidOrFeed2015 wrote:i do plan to get an NESRGB mod later, but all I want to do is just amp up the pin 2 channels. it's crazy because in mega man 2, ninja gaiden and mario bros 3, there is such good sound coming from the pin 2 channels. but its not easy to hear because of the pin 1's channels overriding.
Hmm... Well, I hope some tech wiz on here can help. Usually a audio bypass would do the trick for something like this. Like the one for the Genesis (clears up the sound).
i hope ive made it clear what i want at least. i think there is a way to wire a resistor to the pin to amp the sound but id like some guidance before i jump to that
tomrev

Post by tomrev »

MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

tomrev wrote:This may help you. -> https://www.chrismcovell.com/nesstereo.html
thank you for that guide. i finished adding pots to all channels. all seems to be working just fine and this is all without any RCA jacks. the only thing is, i hear some crackling while listening to the music. all i did was use 3 pots and 6 wires for the mod. no capacitors. do you think the lack of caps could cause the crackling?
tomrev

Post by tomrev »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:
tomrev wrote:This may help you. -> https://www.chrismcovell.com/nesstereo.html
thank you for that guide. i finished adding pots to all channels. all seems to be working just fine and this is all without any RCA jacks. the only thing is, i hear some crackling while listening to the music. all i did was use 3 pots and 6 wires for the mod. no capacitors. do you think the lack of caps could cause the crackling?
I think adding capacitors may help. Cracking sound normally causes by bad wire path, connection terminal or faulty amplifier.
Neo-Alec

Post by Neo-Alec »

The NES normally has plenty of bass. I have fond memories of being able to hear my brother playing in the basement from upstairs. If certain channels are quieter than others, then something is wrong with the sound circuits -- probably a bad cap or two.
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

Neo-Alec wrote:The NES normally has plenty of bass. I have fond memories of being able to hear my brother playing in the basement from upstairs. If certain channels are quieter than others, then something is wrong with the sound circuits -- probably a bad cap or two.
i think im good. i finished the mods and all is well. i also removed the crackling by redoing the mod more cleanly. i added 220ufs to the pots but idk if that was just a coincidence or not.
anyway, EXP is still loud with 100k. i think id like to test it with a higher rating pot (250k maybe).