RGB pinout question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
thchardcore

RGB pinout question

Post by thchardcore »

So I have a JVC GDH4220us and there isn't a fucking lick of information about it online. Nothing except a list confirming it scans down to 15 khz (which I already knew thanks to the port on the back labeled ANALOG RGB)

Anyway, I'm using it for my supergun and it has a 9 pin d-sub as input. Is there any standard pinout for 9 pin d-sub RGB monitors and if not, how the hella can I figure out what pin is what? I know it used to be an amiga monitor if that helps.

I have a multimeter btw.

I used the following link below for reference:

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circ ... nouts.html

Any help appreciated, I know I'm scrubby when it comes to tech.
Last edited by thchardcore on Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I believe some of the commodore 1084's use a DB9 input for RGB.

Maybe its the same but I wouldnt guarantee it.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
thchardcore

Post by thchardcore »

So, can anyone answer my question?

IS there a standard pinout for DB9?

Ill call JVC
Endymion

Post by Endymion »

This might be coming in a bit late to your party, but the Hardware Book over at gamesx old site has this info. There are a few DB9 RGBs.

VGA, believe it or not actually has a DB9 standard. Archaic.
A predecessor, PGA also used it, pretty much the same but with composite sync.
The uglies, EGA, CGA, and Hercules had as many as 64, 16, or some number of "shades," i.e. I believe Hercules was used for amber/green/greyscale monitors and the like.

You're probably safe going with the PGA.
thchardcore

Okay, here was an idea I had

Post by thchardcore »

I seem to get ground on the first 2 pins with my meter. I am confused by the fact that every fucking color has its own ground, what does this mean exactly, would I just wire 3 seperate grounds from my jamma harness to each color specific ground pin? Also, Could I use my meter to see if the red and red ground give me continuity and from that I could deduce the type of analogue video I'm dealing with, or would it not work like that (ie they are all share a ground after all)?

Also, if it turns out to be VGA and not PGA (despite the TTL switch) what would i do to wire sync from the jamma to the seperate Hori and Vert inputs?

I should also mention that the thing was made in 1990.

Thanks JVC for not keeping service documents on your own product.

And no, you arent late at all, I have yet to figure this fucker out.

Thanks for the help.
Endymion

Post by Endymion »

No clue about the ground you're picking up on 1-2. But the grounds for each colour are there for stability. It really does not matter if you ground them separately or from the same place. It never really matters "where" you get your ground from, so long as you do ground it. When R G and B all have ground you usually just get interference (or the possibility of it) without those connected, although sometimes as is the case with Japanese 21-pin (the one that looks like SCART) it doesn't seem to want to function without it. I wouldn't know if they're tied the same on the other end of the socket any more than you would without pulling the back of the case off, might be worth a look.

Any time I have had a separate sync socket but the unit can handle composite--which is VERY likely to be the case if it does 15KHz--just connecting c-sync to H did the trick.