Looking to buy a 4KTV

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
excalibur

Looking to buy a 4KTV

Post by excalibur »

So, I'm in the early stages of trying to figure out which 4KTV to get, probably want to get either a 55 inch or 65 inch, i want to it to have features like HDR obviously, low input lag, i want it to support my retro consoles, i have a framemeister but i really would like to get an OSSC though, so good compatibility with it would be important, it seems to be difficult to find up to date info on which new TVs support the OSSC and such. I was wondering which TVs should I be looking into. I am a bit unsure if I want an OLED, I keep hearing about burn in and don't want to spend alot of money on a TV and have to worry about it all the time, so I think ideally an LED TV might be best. So any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
NoAffinity

Re: Looking to buy a 4KTV

Post by NoAffinity »

In the value arena, tcl's are offering all the right features - hdr, low lag. My 49s405 handle everything i throw at it beautifully, from every ossc line mode on every console i own, to pc 4k hdr output.

Someone is probably more up to date and can offer better onsight on the newer tcl models, but the s405 series also has a 55" model.

Im sure the tcl's are nothing compared to an oled but for those of us without champagne tastes or budgets, tcl is great for the value space.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

I don't have experience with either, but TCL's 6-series is good on the budget end. Towards the higher end, nothing can really touch OLED, and personal accounts of shmups users that have gone OLED suggest that burn-in worries are overblown. If I had the money, I'd go for a B8 or a C8 OLED.
strayan

Post by strayan »

My only advice: buy a model that supports integer scaling at 1080p.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

if you are in the States visit dealsea or slicksdeals, I have seen new 55" LG OLED for $900 which is very cheap all things considered. I got two delivered to my door a while back and no issues.
The Future Is Now
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

strayan wrote:My only advice: buy a model that supports integer scaling at 1080p.
this really limits your options though

so far I've only came across 2 sets that were proven to do this : a Sony set and a Panasonic set
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

Burn in has been a potential issue with all display tech apart from LCD. CRT, Plasma and now Oled all have the potential but it has always been rare outside of 24/7 professional venues.

I have only ever seen burn-in on CRTs in arcades and broadcast monitors which have the same image on screen all day every day. You have to be an idiot to cause it at home.

Just because LCD does not burn in, does not mean it lasts forever. They suffer from dead pixels and have backlights which can break etc.

The benefits of Oled outway any potential drawback, especially for gaming. The very best LCDs ever made can not even get close to the image quality on the worst Oled.
excalibur

Post by excalibur »

Thanks for the responses so far guys, I'm still not sure about an OLED, but it does sound like it could be a bit overblown, and no doubting the image quality is amazing, so I will keep it in mind, also the TCL LCDs seem like a great budget option, but QC is a problem, if you knew you could win the panel lottery and get a good screen, i think it would be a really nice option for the price.

What about the Samsung QLEDs, like for instance the Q80R?
copy

Post by copy »

I'm very happy with my Sony 65" X950G after going through a couple other TV brands and models. The ~20 ms lag is very good. It works well with the OSSC but the NES and SNES require the dejitter mod.
Jdurg

Post by Jdurg »

I got a Samsung QN55Q8FN back in November of last year and absolutely love it. It works great with all my systems and i never once felt anything "off" about it. (I actually got further against Mike Tyson in MTPO than I ever did back in my CRT days when I had faster reflexes. So lag doesn't appear to be an issue, at least for me.
(I know lag sensitivity is different for each person)). Picked it up on a recommendation in a similar thread to this one that circulated the forums last year.
Classicgamer

Post by Classicgamer »

excalibur wrote:Thanks for the responses so far guys, I'm still not sure about an OLED, but it does sound like it could be a bit overblown, and no doubting the image quality is amazing, so I will keep it in mind, also the TCL LCDs seem like a great budget option, but QC is a problem, if you knew you could win the panel lottery and get a good screen, i think it would be a really nice option for the price.

Samsung QLED is just a rebranded LCD. It is their attempt to look like they are keeping up with the times against Lg's Oled tech (they aren't). It is the same old led backlight lcd tv that has been sold for years. All the same strengths and weaknesses apply.

Behind the scenes they (Samsung) are working on making their micro led tech affordable for the masses. Micro led will be more in line with Oled quality. QLED is light years behind.

I am assuming that you care about image quality since you ask for help choosing, or you would have just bought the cheapest one off a Walmart shelf. If image quality is what's important, nothing beats Oled (or comes close) and $900 for (any) 55" oled is a bargain.

If the priority is to get the lowest possible price, there are plenty of cheaper options.
excalibur

Post by excalibur »

Classicgamer wrote:
excalibur wrote:Thanks for the responses so far guys, I'm still not sure about an OLED, but it does sound like it could be a bit overblown, and no doubting the image quality is amazing, so I will keep it in mind, also the TCL LCDs seem like a great budget option, but QC is a problem, if you knew you could win the panel lottery and get a good screen, i think it would be a really nice option for the price.

Samsung QLED is just a rebranded LCD. It is their attempt to look like they are keeping up with the times against Lg's Oled tech (they aren't). It is the same old led backlight lcd tv that has been sold for years. All the same strengths and weaknesses apply.

Behind the scenes they (Samsung) are working on making their micro led tech affordable for the masses. Micro led will be more in line with Oled quality. QLED is light years behind.

I am assuming that you care about image quality since you ask for help choosing, or you would have just bought the cheapest one off a Walmart shelf. If image quality is what's important, nothing beats Oled (or comes close) and $900 for (any) 55" oled is a bargain.

If the priority is to get the lowest possible price, there are plenty of cheaper options.
I realize the QLEDs are just LCD TVs, and image quality is important, but it's not the only consideration, compatibility with retro consoles and OSSC / Framemeister, fast response times, so is longevity, also burn in might be overblown but it's still a real issue to consider, buying a new TV is a major purchase for me, I want it to last a long time, I want it to have HDR and such for my modern consoles, i may even hook up a PC to it too. I love the way OLEDs look but I want to weigh all my options, For me, It's not just simply Image quality vs Price, i have other considerations. That's why I think It's important to hear others opinions of and experiences with the TVs they have or other TVs on the market and find what will be best for my use case.

Jdurg wrote:I got a Samsung QN55Q8FN back in November of last year and absolutely love it. It works great with all my systems and i never once felt anything "off" about it. (I actually got further against Mike Tyson in MTPO than I ever did back in my CRT days when I had faster reflexes. So lag doesn't appear to be an issue, at least for me.
(I know lag sensitivity is different for each person)). Picked it up on a recommendation in a similar thread to this one that circulated the forums last year.
Nice, I wonder if this years models such as the Q80R might perform similarly.
copy wrote:I'm very happy with my Sony 65" X950G after going through a couple other TV brands and models. The ~20 ms lag is very good. It works well with the OSSC but the NES and SNES require the dejitter mod.
I had been looking at the Sony X950G as a potential option, so It's good to hear it works well with the OSSC.
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

I have a TCL 6 series. (55R617)

Pros:

-Great image quality for the price
-High compatibility with OSSC and line 5x mode.
-Low lag in game mode
-Cheap!

Cons:

- Motion blur can be bothersome. It's much more noticeable to me than my old Sony w900a 1080p LCD TV.
- Doesn't like "off-spec" refresh rates like Neo Geo's 59.19hz. It will stutter when scrolling.
- Poor uniformity
- Does not support 1080p/120hz like a lot of other 4K tv's on the market.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

copy wrote:I'm very happy with my Sony 65" X950G after going through a couple other TV brands and models. The ~20 ms lag is very good. It works well with the OSSC but the NES and SNES require the dejitter mod.
interesting, I had my eyes on the X950G for awhile, good to get a gaming review for it. Been looking at(and getting really tempted by) the 2 previous years' Sony models (XE90 and XF90) too, but those have an input lag that's starting to get a little too high at 27ms. But the X950G shaved off 7ms off that, and when you consider it's middle screen measurments, then that gives something very responsive at the top of the screen. Looks like it has damn good picture too for a mid-tier LCD, and as usual Sony's upscaling seems very good
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

As a counterbalance to the OLED love I'd say as a C8 owner that I wish I had gotten for a good and cheaper Sony LCD instead. Not blown away by OLED simply because I never used an LCD TV, I went straight from an HD CRT to it so the only thing that does impress me away is the blacks (they put any pro CRT to shame). But black-hole blacks aren't everything.
mario64

Post by mario64 »

Any thoughts on the new Vizio M series Quantum? Those look nice. Or maybe the Samsung Q60R?
Revolver Ocelot

Post by Revolver Ocelot »

Sorry for highjacking the thread but it is not worth Opening a own thread. Originally I wanted to wait, till the end of 2020 (or whenever the ps5 is released ) to get a new tv and Keep my good old small .40 Inch pansonic ex 604 from 2017. Unfortunately it spolied yesterday, and the 2 year warrenty spoiled in may. Instead of getting it repaired, what would not be cheap, I was thinking of proponing the purchase of a big .55 tv.

Are the LG Oled TV still the best Thing you can get in the .55 range, or would Samsung, Sony or Panasonic an Option as well?

The TV is going to primerly for gaming ( mostly Retro games over the framemeister, but also sometimes ps4 and Xbox one S games and Blu ray/DVD )
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

I recommend a Sony. Either the top of the line OLED (is it A8F now?) or the top of the line lcd models (X900F or G perhaps?). Never had any issues with 1080p scaling, so I wouldn't worry about integer scaling personally. If anything 1080p looks better on my 4K tv than it did on my previous native 1080p Sony LCD.

I find HDR to be phenomenal but the default settings (which are maxed out) are always way too bright. I tend to play in a nearly completely darkened room so I tend to have to bring down the backlight (or Picture iirc on Sony tv's) by something like 80%. HDR is absolutely worth upgrading to 4K tv's for. The increase in resolution is also worth it, but you have to sit up pretty close to benefit (at least on anything 65 inches or less).
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Classicgamer wrote:Burn in has been a potential issue with all display tech apart from LCD. CRT, Plasma and now Oled all have the potential but it has always been rare outside of 24/7 professional venues.

I have only ever seen burn-in on CRTs in arcades and broadcast monitors which have the same image on screen all day every day. You have to be an idiot to cause it at home.

Just because LCD does not burn in, does not mean it lasts forever. They suffer from dead pixels and have backlights which can break etc.

The benefits of Oled outway any potential drawback, especially for gaming. The very best LCDs ever made can not even get close to the image quality on the worst Oled.
Yes burn in is a concern. Even some of the very best Plasma tv's Panasonic made before going out ended up with severe burn in (I had both the VT25 and VT50 and both showed significant amount of burn in after only around 1.5 years for the VT25 and around 2.5~3 years for the VT50). I haven't had any OLED tv's yet but I hear they have their own issues reducing their longevity (although they get better by the year apparently). LCD does really well in the longevity department assuming no internal part fails, but you don't get the same inky blacks (although the newer sets from the last few years have significantly improved blacks, better than I've ever seen before). As for CRT's my experience is the same as yours. I've never seen burn in on crt's in homes. The only burn in I've ever seen were in arcades and pro monitors that left them on 15h, possibly 24h a day, every day. CRT's do have other issues though.
excalibur

Post by excalibur »

For a few different reasons i wasn't able to upgrade to a 4K TV last year as planned, but this year i do plan on upgrading especially with the new consoles coming out later this year, so HDMI 2.1 support will be something I'd like to have, still looking for one either at 55 or 65 inch, it needs good frameister / ossc support. I keep hearing folks talk about oleds for gaming but i am concerned with burn in, not sure how overblown the oled burn in issue is. So any help or experiences with certain TVs would help me make a decision.

Thanks.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

Isn't it worth looking/waiting for a variable refresh rate TV at this point?
excalibur

Post by excalibur »

Bassa-Bassa wrote:Isn't it worth looking/waiting for a variable refresh rate TV at this point?
Yeah, i would think it is worthwhile, i kinda included that when i was saying HDMI 2.1, though it is also included in some HDMI 2.0 sets as well. Whatever TV i get i might would want to connect a gaming PC to it too, and VRR is also useful in that situation as well. There are some TVs out there now or coming soon, that support VRR including the OLEDs and higher end Nanocells from LG, Samsungs higher end Qleds and the upcoming Sony X900H is said to be getting it with a firmware update in the future.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

GSync has been working great with my B9 OLED. I run most games at 1440p @ 120Hz (best you can do until HDMI 2.1 GPUs are out) which of course looks phenomenal, and GSync helps tremendously when you're not quite hitting that 120 fps target all the time. Only thing is that I haven't seen any OLED sales lately due to covid supply issues.

With the number of anti-burn-in features in play I haven't been worried about it at all, assuming you vary your content. If I pause a game for a minute to check my phone, by the time I'm done the static logo dimming has already kicked in and made the entire screen darker, just as an example.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

If you are concerned over burn in then I would avoid OLED. You'll love the picture until you start getting burn in. It's definitely the future though.
excalibur

Post by excalibur »

I see so many gamers online buying OLEDs and they do look amazing and do seem like great TVs for gaming but i do wonder if some of those people aren't worried about burn in because they can easily just afford a new TV every 2-3 years or less, when and if they do get burn in. For myself and others, a high end TV is a major purchase and requires me to put a lot of time in researching and of course saving up money, and i want to make a good decision and hopefully avoid extra hassle and later disappointment for one reason or another. No TV is perfect, every TV has its strengths and weaknesses. This is why I value hearing as many opinions as possible.
Last edited by excalibur on Tue May 26, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

excalibur wrote:I see so many gamers online buying OLEDs and they do look amazing and do seem like great TVs for gaming but i do wonder if some of those people aren't worried about burn in because they can easily just afford a new TV every 2-3 years or less, when and if they do get burn in. For myself and others, a high end TV is a major purchase and requires me to put a lot of time in researching and of course saving up money, and i want to make a good decision and hopefully avoid extra hassle and later disappointment for one reason or another. No TV is perfect, every TV has its strengths and weaknesses. This is why I value hearing as many opinions as possible.
If it's going to worry you, or sit in the back of your mind the whole time, then eh, maybe just get an LCD. I intend to use my OLED actively for at least 5+ years- by then I expect new tech to be somewhere on the horizon.

...Or I'll have to buy one of the last 4K sets because for some reason 8K became a thing despite having 0 native content lol.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
excalibur

Post by excalibur »

bobrocks95 wrote:
excalibur wrote:I see so many gamers online buying OLEDs and they do look amazing and do seem like great TVs for gaming but i do wonder if some of those people aren't worried about burn in because they can easily just afford a new TV every 2-3 years or less, when and if they do get burn in. For myself and others, a high end TV is a major purchase and requires me to put a lot of time in researching and of course saving up money, and i want to make a good decision and hopefully avoid extra hassle and later disappointment for one reason or another. No TV is perfect, every TV has its strengths and weaknesses. This is why I value hearing as many opinions as possible.
If it's going to worry you, or sit in the back of your mind the whole time, then eh, maybe just get an LCD. I intend to use my OLED actively for at least 5+ years- by then I expect new tech to be somewhere on the horizon.

...Or I'll have to buy one of the last 4K sets because for some reason 8K became a thing despite having 0 native content lol.
I hear you, while i don't think it would be something that would worry me so much once i got it, if i got it, because i would have already took that into consideration before making the purchase, really it's just a matter of should i get an OLED or should I not and while OLEDs do look amazing, I will say I am leaning away from OLED because there are certain games I play a lot more than others that have bright static elements, As far as other options, the LG Nanocell 90 looks like a decent alternative, and so does the Sony X900H. I hear the Samsung Qleds when Game Mode is active it does have really low input lag numbers but it really kills the image quality in order to accomplish it. None of these TVs are perfect though.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

I got a Sony X900F a year or so ago but tbh coming from plasma the motion resolution is disappointing, so maybe I should have looked at OLED. Of course static or (really) slow moving images blow my old Samsung plasma away, but since I play mostly fast paced 2D stuff, I'm beginning to think about an LG or Sony OLED

Regarding 1080p scaling quality - which is pretty damn important since most stuff we feed these panels is going to be that - supposedly Sony has the best reputation for upscaling. For whatever reason, the PS4 looks great at 1080p, but the Xbox 360 definitely seems to look inferior to my old plasma. Not sure why that is.

Im wondering how the LG OLEDs fare in the 1080p upscaling department in comparison.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
Gara

Post by Gara »

My c9 oled has been going strong this past year. No burn in yet, even though I play/watch a ton of older 4:3 content. I do vary my content a lot. It's a great tv that does a excellent job at a lot of tasks. It's usually when people play the same content over and over that problems arise.

Anecdotally they really seemed to improve burnin protection and uneven wear from the earlier models. It's usually the 2017 or older models I see posts about uneven wear or burn in. Then again maybe in a couple years I'll be experiencing the same things. It's at least lot more forgiving than my old f8500 plasma was. Game huds would linger for hours or even days when playing a lot of retro stuff. I haven't experienced that on my oled yet.

stryc9 wrote:I got a Sony X900F a year or so ago but tbh coming from plasma the motion resolution is disappointing, so maybe I should have looked at OLED. Of course static or (really) slow moving images blow my old Samsung plasma away, but since I play mostly fast paced 2D stuff, I'm beginning to think about an LG or Sony OLED

Regarding 1080p scaling quality - which is pretty damn important since most stuff we feed these panels is going to be that - supposedly Sony has the best reputation for upscaling. For whatever reason, the PS4 looks great at 1080p, but the Xbox 360 definitely seems to look inferior to my old plasma. Not sure why that is.

Im wondering how the LG OLEDs fare in the 1080p upscaling department in comparison.
You'll still be unhappy with motion if plasma is your comparison. I have my Samsung f8500 plasma in another room and I still get nostalgic for its motion abilities when compared to my c9 oled. Everything else is such a big upgrade. The oled motion is still better than every other choice out there. Black frame insertion may get us closer to plasma motion one of these days. I've yet to see the LG CX BFI settings in person, but it's apparently vastly improved from my C9.

The lg oled don't do integer scaling, but its 1080p scaling is really good. At times I feel some 1080p content looks better on my other TV, buts its minor. All the other benefits of oled make up for it.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

bobrocks95 wrote:

I'm not sure 8K will ever make it mainstream. I'm sure a format for 8K discs will come out, but will probably end up an elite format for new films that have 8k native and might not get wide adoption (similarly to laserdisc). As it is 4K took much longer to be adopted than previous new formats (some would say it's still not quite made it through, but it's certainly progressing). There's no question 4K + HDR is an amazing combo and the films on 4K discs is the closest thing we could ever get to having a film reel on a digital disc, the visual improvements are major for any film buff. Despite this, for a lot of people it took a while to understand, because well remastered 1080p content was already very impressive.

8K is overkill and can only even be appreciated by people with 80+ inch monitors who sit close up to the screen, if only because culturally the majority of people just don't sit anywhere close enough to even maximize the benefits of 4K, they just won't be convinced by 8K, and it's hard to convince people to bring the couch closer to their tv's.

I also feel that the movie industry kind of figured that out, they go all out in giving the best presentation possible for 4K discs, the ever so slight transparent black glossy case, making sure every release now has a slipcover, and having given it a sleek silver and quite elegant logo. I think they know this could be the end of the road for all these decades long of re releases (plus a lot of people are moving to digital), so they want every release to have a definitive feel. Again just my opinion anyway.