Help with modding a Famicom to NES Adapter for EXP audio

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
MidOrFeed2015

Help with modding a Famicom to NES Adapter for EXP audio

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

Hi all,

to get audio exp on my NES using my akumajou dracula cartridge, shouldn't I just need to mod my 60 to 72 pin adapter to wire FC pin 46 to NES pin 54? then plug in an ENIO board? Is there anything else I am missing?

Below is the adapter (which has a wire going from Famicom 46 to NES 54):

Below is the opposite side (which should most definitely be pins 1-30 and pins 1-36):

Below is my ENIO board.

don't worry about the solder mess on the NES pins. I don't think that's an issue. It was an issue before which messed up the graphics but I cleaned it.

when I try akumajou with the modded adapter and enio, there is no expansion audio coming out.
Einzelherz

Re: Help with modding a Famicom to NES Adapter for EXP audio

Post by Einzelherz »

Did you also wire the NES to utilize expansion audio?
xwred5

Post by xwred5 »

Doesn’t look like you hooked up the correct pins. See: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9351
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

Einzelherz wrote:Did you also wire the NES to utilize expansion audio?
I did not, but the enio board is supposed to fulfill that purpose (thus no modding required on the console).
xwred5 wrote:Doesn’t look like you hooked up the correct pins. See: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9351
dammit, so FC 30-60 is on the opposite side (where 1-36 NES is)?
that was my bad. I was reading this guide and thought they were on the same side:
http://nesdev.com/NES_ADAPTER.txt

I know for sure that I have the wire on the correct pin on the NES side (that diagram shows CLK NC on the edge followed by 71 and 72 being NC, and that side of the connector matches the diagram).
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

xwred5 wrote:Doesn’t look like you hooked up the correct pins. See: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9351
hey thanks. I finally got to test it after re-wiring and its working with the enio board. Gimmick! and Megami Tensei 2 work. however, oddly castlevania 3, lagrange point and madara all give a gray screen. coincidence, or is there extra work required on the converter for konami/vrc6,7 games? though, I tried those 3 games through an everdrive and it worked, so I dont know whats going on with these carts. they are working for sure because they were used before without issues.

EDIT: nevermind. lagrange Point and madara work just fine. just akumajou densetsu is giving me some issues but im sure that will resolve itself overtime. im very happy about this working.. just kinda want to boost the bass for the NES then i think i am done

EDIT 2: looks like my akumajou densetsu broke. game wont even boot on a famicom :lol:
xwred5

Post by xwred5 »

I would honestly get a new converter-the pins are a little rough on yours.

I would also clean the pins on the famicom cart. There are many other cleaning methods. Iso alcohol + eraser is my go to.

Good luck!
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

xwred5 wrote:I would honestly get a new converter-the pins are a little rough on yours.

I would also clean the pins on the famicom cart. There are many other cleaning methods. Iso alcohol + eraser is my go to.

Good luck!
there was no need for that. the converter is now working perfectly. im just a bad modder :)