getting the best possible image in snes with modifications

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
brunofree

getting the best possible image in snes with modifications

Post by brunofree »

Good afternoon everyone, I wanted to list what modifications would result in the best possible image of super nintendo.
1 - use revision 1chip 03
2 - bypass with ths7374.
Which ones do you know?
romulocff

Re: getting the best possible image in snes with modificatio

Post by romulocff »

2 - bypass with ths7374.
3 - replace capacitor c11
H6rdc0re

Post by H6rdc0re »

Snes Jr with a THS7374 RGB mod, recap and all the fixes. Nothing beats that except the Analogue Super NT.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I am curious, why exactly does people swear by bypassing the RGB on 1chip models?

I tried it years ago on my 1chip 02, when the method was first being discovered and used for RGB modding mini systems. I remember being promised a night and day difference, but my finding were that there was absolutely no benefit in doing so, over using the stock RGB path.

Back then there was no fix for the vertical bar, and that was just as visible with the bypass. And the thing I hoped it would fix, the very slight ghosting/shadows showed no improvements either. So naturally I removed the bypass again. Surely I’m missing something so please enlighten me :)
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

brunofree wrote:Good afternoon everyone, I wanted to list what modifications would result in the best possible image of super nintendo.
2 - bypass with ths7374.
Which ones do you know?
I know the THS7374 one, it's good.
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

doesn't directly translate to better picture, but the dejitter mod does allow much better compatibility with digital displays through upscalers

if you're doing the RGB bypass anyway, forum member Arthrimus makes a board that combines bypass and dejitter into one mod
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

maxtherabbit wrote:doesn't directly translate to better picture, but the dejitter mod does allow much better compatibility with digital displays through upscalers

if you're doing the RGB bypass anyway, forum member Arthrimus makes a board that combines bypass and dejitter into one mod
Also, borti has designed a single board with multiple mods baked in, including a SuperCIC (makes it region-free), in-game reset, dejitter, and a dual-frequency oscillator (for proper operation with both NTSC and PAL software). I think all it might be missing is an RGB bypass, if that's even needed.