GBAConsolizer vs Game Boy Interface with GCVideo

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
awe444

Re: GBAConsolizer vs Game Boy Interface with GCVideo

Post by awe444 »

Fudoh wrote:Eventually it really comes to whether you're allergic to 4:2:2 artefacts or not. I had people over here with me that cannot spot a difference between a Framemeister and an OSSC (very similar in nature to your question about the GBAconsolizer).

If you need 4:4:4 "pixel edges" to enjoy your gameplay, then the Consolizer is a pretty nice step up, but you aren't very perceptive to the issue, you might not even notice a difference.
The high fidelity mode of GBI has a “fake” 4:4:4 output that does give perfectly clean pixels with no 4:2:2 artifacts. Unseen described how it works in this post: viewtopic.php?p=1343925#p1343925
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Emerl wrote:It's still a huge bummer this thing doesn't do 1080p. Is there any particular reason why it doesn't? Good quality 720p TVs are hard to come by, and scaling from 720p to 1080p is garbage on most sets.
Probably has to do with getting clean integer scaling, as well as the cost of components for being able to push 1080p out.

But to me that doesn't matter. I run all my scaling in 720p anyway.
Lawfer wrote:
MidOrFeed2015 wrote:this thing does not have RGB? only HDMI?
HDMI 720p only.
Yeah, It would be nice if I could connect this to my CRT :(
shroom2k wrote:
opt2not wrote: The image is super crispy. The menu options are nice, and you can play around with a good amount of settings from colour changes, to different types of scanlines, to setting the output between 4x, 4.5x, and 5x zoom (4.5x sets the image to fill the vertical space while playing GBA games, while 5x is best for running Gameboy and GBC games).
But one of the things I noticed right away was the input lag, or lack of it! It was so responsive, night and day from my GC Gameboy player set-up, even with running the homebrew GBI settings.
Well, if you're running your GC through the Framemeister (and possibly use upscaling? unoptimized GBI settings?), than that might account for most of the lag.
Those pictures were taken a while ago on a Framemeister using optimized GBI settings. I've sold the Framemiester a while ago, and switched to the OSSC. Even then, there is a difference in input lag between GBI and this Consolizer. Don't get me wrong, the GBI is definitely a good update to the stock GBPlayer, but it's not as good as running on a real GBA.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The high fidelity mode of GBI has a “fake” 4:4:4 output that does give perfectly clean pixels with no 4:2:2 artifacts
but the on-screen result for this will result on what output device you're using. With different CGVideo boards and products using different hardware, the chroma upsampling on these should result in different results as well. But yes, it can certainly be tuned to deliver very nice results.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

btw, I just received a couple shells and button kits for my GBA Consolizer and my Backlit GBA.

Going all black on the consolizer and transparent smoked on my backlit GBA!

And here are a few more shots of the GBAConsolizer running.

4x scale w/ Scanlines:

4x scale w/o scanlines:

Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

opt2not wrote:Yeah, It would be nice if I could connect this to my CRT :(
An option for the native 240x160 resolution in a 240p or 480p RGBS output would have been nice to use on a CRT.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Lawfer wrote:
opt2not wrote:Yeah, It would be nice if I could connect this to my CRT :(
An option for the native 240x160 resolution in a 240p or 480p RGBS output would have been nice to use on a CRT.
Why wouldn't you just buy a Gamecube?
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

strayan wrote:Why wouldn't you just buy a Gamecube?
My point is to omit the GameCube from my setup, sell the system and the ridiculously priced components cables, run my GC games of my Wii if I need to, and have this Consolizer dedicated to GBA games. The Gameboy Player setup is clunky af. If you’re not running the GBI software, you get input lag and inaccuracies. If you are running GBI, it’s better than stock, but you’re still running some unofficial software with a handful of versions for different settings.
This is a clean, straightforward solution with a small footprint and running original software.

You do you, if the GameCube is your thing, go for it. But I’m loving this Consolizer, and it solves a few needs I had on my list. Small footprint, original hardware/software, lagless. Oh, and it’s nice to not have to use an adapter for an SNES controller.

*edit: GBI software is not hack software, updated terminology accordingly.
Last edited by opt2not on Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Excuse me, GBI isn't a software hack, it's original software written from the ground up, thrice even.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

Extrems wrote:Excuse me, GBI isn't a software hack, it's original software written from the ground up, thrice even.
I assume he means "hack" as in "unofficial console homebrew".
strayan

Post by strayan »

NormalFish wrote:
Extrems wrote:Excuse me, GBI isn't a software hack, it's original software written from the ground up, thrice even.
I assume he means "hack" as in "unofficial console homebrew".
What does that matter? He just consolized a GBA.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

My apologies for the incorrect term. I meant unofficial software, and I meant no disrespect to your work. I ran on it for a while, but in the end I feel better not having to rely on it. My sincere apologies, I have nothing but respect for you and your works.
strayan

Post by strayan »

The scan line settings on the consolizer look kick ass. Extrems, possible on GBI?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

There are some horizontal scan lines options (varies by edition), but vertical scan lines aren't really possible.
strayan

Post by strayan »

Extrems wrote:There are some horizontal scan lines options (varies by edition), but vertical scan lines aren't really possible.
Bugger. GBI is a masterpiece though.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I must be the only person who can't stand fake blanking lines?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Einzelherz wrote:I must be the only person who can't stand fake blanking lines?
Nope. I also hate them with a passion. For years I've wondered what other people see that makes them like fake blank scanlines. I only see garbage.

Real blank scanlines on a physical CRT are beautiful however.
-the Goat
Heliopause Heavy Industries :: video game console repairs and modifications
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

the Goat wrote:
Nope. I also hate them with a passion. For years I've wondered what other people see that makes them like fake blank scanlines. I only see garbage.

Are you guys talking about "scanning backlight"?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Lawfer wrote:
the Goat wrote:

Are you guys talking about "scanning backlight"?
No. We are talking about the option that many video game video processors have for adding "scanlines" to their output. These are black (or dark) horizontal lines that are supposed to make the video look like it does on a physical CRT display.
-the Goat
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

the Goat wrote:No. We are talking about the option that many video game video processors have for adding "scanlines" to their output. These are black (or dark) horizontal lines that are supposed to make the video look like it does on a physical CRT display.
Oh yeah I know about that, but I couldn't figure out that's what was being talked about because an unfamiliar term "fake blanking lines" was used.
Last edited by Lawfer on Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Lawfer wrote:
the Goat wrote:No. We are talking about the option that many video game video processors have for adding "scanlines" to their output. These are black (or dark) horizontal lines that are supposed to make the video look like it does on a physical CRT display.
Oh yeah I know about that, but I couldn't figure out because that's what was being talked about as an unfamiliar term "fake blanking lines" was used.
Right. The terminology is confusing. People call the black lines "scanlines". But in reality, on a physical CRT, the lit up lines are the ones being scanned and the black lines are simply skipped over.
-the Goat
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

stop nitpicking and let us enjoy our black lines :mrgreen:
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

And the correct term for the GBA would be "grid lines" since you're seeing the border of the pixels on the X and Y axis.

By the way, I'd love to see some higher-resolution screens of the grid lines, if anybody has some.
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

I dunno man, GBA games running line tripled on a 480p CRT with scanlines added look pretty damn good.
Spoiler
Obviously not accurate to original hardware, but scanlines still look good with GBA games.

Another good way is if you have a smartphone with a 1440p screen. You get perfect integer scaling so it fits the whole screen height wise and you can use an LCD shader and it will look like a GBA screen pretty much but bigger.
There's a lot of different LCD shaders but here's one example. (And what runs at playable speed on this device. Which is a droid 2 Turbo, 1440p OLED. They go for about 50-60$ these days. Was 600$ new)
Spoiler
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Yes, the GBAConsolizer has both a scanline setting, AND gridlines of 3 different darknesses for the “darkened” lines.

Whatever the tech behind it, I’m happy for having them. I prefer them on, but that’s probably because I was born in the 70’s and I regard pixels with scanlines as gloriously beautiful.

But I have noticed that my millennial friends and coworkers hate them. Most likely because they grew up in the N64 era and regard that as “the classics”. Ugh.

Whenever they’re over to play, I turn the scanlines off. I’m an accommodating host! ;)
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

opt2not wrote:Yes, the GBAConsolizer has both a scanline setting, AND gridlines of 3 different darknesses for the “darkened” lines.

Whatever the tech behind it, I’m happy for having them. I prefer them on, but that’s probably because I was born in the 70’s and I regard pixels with scanlines as gloriously beautiful.

But I have noticed that my millennial friends and coworkers hate them. Most likely because they grew up in the N64 era and regard that as “the classics”. Ugh.

Whenever they’re over to play, I turn the scanlines off. I’m an accommodating host! ;)
or you know just maybe some people hate them because they are fake and don't look like a real CRT

I love the look of 240p on a real SD CRT, but when using a scaler I despise "scanlines"
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

maxtherabbit wrote:or you know just maybe some people hate them because they are fake and don't look like a real CRT

I love the look of 240p on a real SD CRT, but when using a scaler I despise "scanlines"
GB and GBA were LCD consoles though (setting aside the case of SGB enhanced GB games). This consolizer unit makes for the one situation where I'd prefer to use an LCD (or OLED), since that would match the original systems.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

MY LIFE IN GAMING review is out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NcMl9JvMHE
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

fernan1234 wrote:
maxtherabbit wrote:or you know just maybe some people hate them because they are fake and don't look like a real CRT

GB and GBA were LCD consoles though (setting aside the case of SGB enhanced GB games). This consolizer unit makes for the one situation where I'd prefer to use an LCD (or OLED), since that would match the original systems.
fair point, but my opinion of gameboy screens was always overwhelmingly negative when they were commercially relevant and I have zero desire to relive that experience
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

What is the most accurate 1:1 pixel perfect integer scaling option? 4x? or 5x?
the Goat

Post by the Goat »

Lawfer wrote:What is the most accurate 1:1 pixel perfect integer scaling option? 4x? or 5x?
All integer scaling factors are equally accurate.
-the Goat