GBAConsolizer vs Game Boy Interface with GCVideo

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lawfer

Re: GBAConsolizer vs Game Boy Interface with GCVideo

Post by Lawfer »

the Goat wrote:
Lawfer wrote:What is the most accurate 1:1 pixel perfect integer scaling option? 4x? or 5x?
All integer scaling factors are equally accurate.
Okay, thanks.

Seraphic wrote:MY LIFE IN GAMING review is out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NcMl9JvMHE
Thanks, interesting, so there's no option for the original 59.70Hz, it runs instead at 60Hz for highest compatibility.

In comparison the 3DS runs at 59.83Hz.

None of which are standard refresh rates by the way (standard would be 50Hz for PAL and 59.94Hz, 60Hz for NTSC).
Last edited by Lawfer on Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

Lawfer wrote:
Thanks, interesting, so there's no option for the original 59.70Hz, it runs instead at 60Hz for highest compatibility.

In comparison the 3DS runs at 59.82Hz.

None of which are standard refresh rates by the way (standard would be 50Hz for PAL and 59.94Hz, 60Hz for NTSC).
Don't know about anyone else, but I found it disappointing that when they compared the GBAConsolizer to the GameBoy Player/Interface they used the Analog mode from GCHD Mk-II and not digital and then said you would have analog noise when using GCHD Mk-II? Why not compare digital to digital? :?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Seraphic wrote:
Lawfer wrote:

In comparison the 3DS runs at 59.83Hz.

Don't know about anyone else, but I found it disappointing that when they compared the GBAConsolizer to the GameBoy Player/Interface they used the Analog mode from GCHD Mk-II and not digital and then said you would have analog noise? Why not compare digital to digital? :?
You've got a point and I did notice them mentioning "analog noise", but wait they didn't use a DOL-001 GameCube? I didn't really pay attention, but I would assume they would use the best GameCube model. If so, Not sure why they didn't use a DOL-001 GameCube, especially nowdays when you have so many different options and that you don't NEED the official GameCube component cable that cost 300 bucks, they could have used a GCDual GameCube with HDMI output or a DOL-001 with component output.
Last edited by Lawfer on Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

If you skip to 12:40 in video they are using a DOL-001 with GCHD Mk-II that has Analog and Digital outputs plugged in.
Only reason why I could think they used the Analog over Digital to compare is they used the OSSC to scale image while using Digital would have been locked to 480p?
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Seraphic wrote:If you skip to 12:40 in video they are using a DOL-001 with GCHD Mk-II that has Analog and Digital outputs plugged in.
Only reason why I could think they used the Analog over Digital to compare is they used the OSSC to scale image while using Digital would have been locked to 480p?
Yeah the OSSC has no HDMI input and they probably don't have an Extron DSC 301 HD to upscale 480p to 1080p, so they use analog for the OSSC. This is also why I use analog output on my WiiDual, since the OSSC has no HDMI input.
SegaSnatcher

Post by SegaSnatcher »

Most modern 4K displays scale 720p just fine. My 1080p Plasma from 2010 scales 720 without any issues. I have the Lag Sleuth and 720p doesn't have any more input lag than a native 1080p signal at least on my display.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Seraphic wrote:Don't know about anyone else, but I found it disappointing that when they compared the GBAConsolizer to the GameBoy Player/Interface they used the Analog mode from GCHD Mk-II and not digital and then said you would have analog noise when using GCHD Mk-II? Why not compare digital to digital? :?
There, I've added more pictures just for you.

Oops, I forgot 960i is implemented differently in GBISR.
makar1

Post by makar1 »

Seraphic wrote:If you skip to 12:40 in video they are using a DOL-001 with GCHD Mk-II that has Analog and Digital outputs plugged in.
TV scaling on a 480p output will look less sharp compared to 720p from the Consolizer, or 720p/1080p from the OSSC.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Installed my LCD kit yesterday, used the provided wire. Overall the install was very simple and happy with the results, not a great deal to add over what has been said already.

Kez

Post by Kez »

One thing I will say, I have experienced some unpleasant audio distortion in one game:

Rhythm Tengoku - Rhythm Heaven Silver, English patched running off an Everdrive X5. I heard mention of audio pops in the MLiG video so I assume this is an example of it, but if anyone else is able to confirm the issue with this game I would appreciate it!
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Kez wrote:One thing I will say, I have experienced some unpleasant audio distortion in one game:

Rhythm Tengoku - Rhythm Heaven Silver, English patched running off an Everdrive X5. I heard mention of audio pops in the MLiG video so I assume this is an example of it, but if anyone else is able to confirm the issue with this game I would appreciate it!
Analog or digital?

Have you experienced with any other games? On GB or GBA?
Kez

Post by Kez »

Lawfer wrote:Analog or digital?

Have you experienced with any other games? On GB or GBA?
Only on the digital output. Haven't noticed it on any other games, but also haven't done extensive testing. Rhythm Heaven is just a game I quite enjoy, and I wanted to see how it played as it obviously requires low latency (it plays very well!).
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

EDIT: ENTIRE POST RE-WRITTEN CAUSE I FORGOT HOW GBAz AUDIO WORKS :roll:

Some games will have issues with the GBAz's HDMI audio re-sampling. I believe it's less than 1%, but in those cases you'll want to use the audio from the headphone jack, not the HDMI.

Actually, I wonder if it's possible to replace the GBA's headphone amp? Maybe remove what's there and replace it with a high quality, line-level audio amp that can output high quality analog audio?
Last edited by RGB0b on Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

Extrems wrote:
Seraphic wrote:Don't know about anyone else, but I found it disappointing that when they compared the GBAConsolizer to the GameBoy Player/Interface they used the Analog mode from GCHD Mk-II and not digital and then said you would have analog noise when using GCHD Mk-II? Why not compare digital to digital? :?
There, I've added more pictures just for you.

Oops, I forgot 960i is implemented differently in GBISR.
Thank you!

Have a question for you too.

How does the "fake" 4:4:4 mode work with the Game Boy Interface High-Fidelity mode when the GCVideo itself is doing a 4:2:2 to 4:4:4 interpolation?
Would that not be a double conversion/interpolation? Talking about HDMI output here.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

To me it's a difference in convenience versus configurability.

Want something that's plug-and-play and pretty much "just works" with little to no configuration? Get a consolizer. Want to tweak the hell out of your setup and get things exactly how you want them? Get GBI.

The big advantage of the consolizer that goes beyond that is something that GBI can't do due to hardware limitations outside its control, which is low-latency frame-locked output with full display compability by reclocking the GBA so that you get 60Hz. With GBI you'll have to choose between low latency with rolling frame tearing and poor display compatibility, or some additional lag with improved compatibility and no tearing.

On the other hand, I'd imagine that it's theoretically possible to do the clock mod on a GBP and do 60Hz unbufferd output with GBI...
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yo, welcome back Guspaz. It's been awhile
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

You don't get tearing in any edition by default anymore. This was solved with smarter buffering in the high-fidelity edition.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

FinalBaton wrote:Yo, welcome back Guspaz. It's been awhile
I don't know if I'm "back" so much as "I need to kill a few minutes, oh hey, wasn't there that forum that I posted on? I should see what's going on over there."

I'm still somewhat involved in the retro world on account of running my store that sells retro gaming products though.
Extrems wrote:You don't get tearing in any edition by default anymore. This was solved with smarter buffering in the high-fidelity edition.
How does that impact latency and/or frame pacing and/or display compatibility?
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

What's your store btw? I'm in Québec too so shipping will be advantageous for me
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Guspaz wrote:How does that impact latency and/or frame pacing and/or display compatibility?
It currently adds about 4 ms due to less than optimal implementation. Frame pacing and display compatibility depends on the video mode used. Temporal interpolation is on the roadmap.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

FinalBaton wrote:What's your store btw? I'm in Québec too so shipping will be advantageous for me
https://retrostuff.ca

My product selection is fairly limited, HDRV cables (the entire product lineup when I can get them in stock), the EON GCHD Mk-II, and a variety of Voultar products when he eventually ships them to me.

I've made some very limited attempts to branch out a bit and found that products that don't have their manufacturers pushing customers directly to me don't sell very well. My marketing sucks.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

retrorgb wrote: Actually, I wonder if it's possible to replace the GBA's headphone amp? Maybe remove what's there and replace it with a high quality, line-level audio amp that can output high quality analog audio?
Something like this?
https://www.retromodding.com/collection ... -amplifier

Does Not Compute review here:
https://youtu.be/VIJyj_X38cI
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

opt2not wrote:
retrorgb wrote: Actually, I wonder if it's possible to replace the GBA's headphone amp? Maybe remove what's there and replace it with a high quality, line-level audio amp that can output high quality analog audio?
Something like this?
https://www.retromodding.com/collection ... -amplifier

Does Not Compute review here:
https://youtu.be/VIJyj_X38cI
No, that amp only affects the speaker output. I've never seen a mod that improves the headphone jack output. Really wish there were options. When I do play these handhelds I can't imagine using crappy tiny speakers, even the relatively better ones offered by modders like RM. And now obviously with the consolizer there would be a big benefit too.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

If you set it to DVI+ mode and use an audio extractor, you can feed the digital audio into any DAC and get as high quality as you want.
Danexmurder

Post by Danexmurder »

I did my install yesterday on a full case version. Everything seemed very straight forward and I didn't have any problems with the wiring. It appears thought that my GBA motherboard isn't getting power. I was wondering if anybody has run into this issue.

*Edit*

Not sure what the deal was but I transferred everything over to a new GBA motherboard and it fired right up. Same wiring and everything. I'll have to troubleshoot the other motherboard in the future.
c0op3r

Post by c0op3r »

Anyone that got a GBA Consolizer Full kit want to / or willing to trade my Screen kit for you full kit?

Obviously I will add some cash on top as yours cost more.

Or I am willing to trade a GSCART - Lite with a LaserBear bumper and mount kit for a GBA Consolizer Complete Kit.

Cooper