GBAConsolizer vs Game Boy Interface with GCVideo

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Seraphic

GBAConsolizer vs Game Boy Interface with GCVideo

Post by Seraphic »

Has anyone tried out these GBAConsolizer kits? How might they compare to the GameCube using Game Boy Interface with GCVideo?
One of the main differences appears to be the Direct 4:4:4 RGB with Consolizer vs GameCube's 4:2:2 YCbCr to 4:4:4 RGB using interpolation.
Not planning on purchasing one right now, but it really looks like an interesting project and something to consider down the line.

Product Specifications:
Fine-tuned video output:
720p digital video output**
GBA video at 60 Hz Vsync, absolutely no stutter or screen tearing!
Direct digital 4:4:4 RGB video from GBA
4x scale for GBA games, letterboxed in 1280×720 frame
5x scale for GB/GBC games, fills screen vertically with pillar boxes on side

No input lag.
Direct digital audio sent over HDMI at 48 KHz

On Screen Display (OSD) menu accessible by pushing select + down, featuring:
Adjustable strength scan lines and grid lines
32+ Game Boy color palettes, adjustable in game (PICS HERE)
Gamma/color correction provided via Shader menu option (PICS HERE)
Store user video settings in flash memory

Controller support:
Wired SNES controller
Compatible with 8Bitdo Retro Receiver for use with:
8Bitdo wireless SNES controller
Wii U Pro controller
Switch Pro controller

3D printed enclosure
Full console conversion, LCD is replaced with HDMI module
USB powered, under 500 mA current draw. Can be powered from TV USB port.
Assembly Required Kits $180 + Requires a GBA motherboard at extra cost
https://www.game-tech.us/product/gba-consolizer/

Fully Assembled Kits for $350
https://www.game-tech.us/product/gbacon ... assembled/
DejahThoris

Re: GBAConsolizer vs Game Boy Interface with GCVideo

Post by DejahThoris »

They're only just starting to ship, and only to first lottery winners who did not purchase a case (the cases are holding up more units shipping according to Twitter). So it's probably going to be a few weeks more before there are too many people who can answer your post.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

What he said, for now the closest thing to an impression you can get is MJR here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTS4Mh-YP7M

And Voultar showing you how to assemble the kit here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De9FZVoXgMQ
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

It's time for simulations.

GBA Consolizer (4x) (simulated)
GBA Consolizer (4.5x) (simulated)

GBA Consolizer (4x) + "ideal" 1080p TV (simulated)
GBA Consolizer (4.5x) + "ideal" 1080p TV (simulated)

Game Boy Interface Standard Edition (480p) + GCVideo-DVI v2.4b and later + "ideal" 1080p TV
Game Boy Interface Standard Edition (960i) + GCVideo-DVI v2.4b and later + "ideal" 1080p TV

Game Boy Interface Speedrunning Edition (240p) + GCVideo-DVI v2.4b and later + "ideal" 1080p TV
Game Boy Interface Speedrunning Edition (480p) + GCVideo-DVI v2.4b and later + "ideal" 1080p TV
Game Boy Interface Speedrunning Edition (960i) + GCVideo-DVI v2.4b and later + "ideal" 1080p TV

Game Boy Interface High-Fidelity Edition (480p) + Nintendo GameCube Component Video Cable
Game Boy Interface High-Fidelity Edition (1080i) + Nintendo GameCube Component Video Cable
Game Boy Interface High-Fidelity Edition (360p) + Nintendo GameCube Component Video Cable + Open Source Scan Converter (2x) (simulated)
Game Boy Interface High-Fidelity Edition (360p) + Nintendo GameCube Component Video Cable + Open Source Scan Converter (3x) (simulated)

Game Boy Interface High-Fidelity Edition (480p) + Insurrection Industries CARBY v2.4d
Game Boy Interface High-Fidelity Edition (1080i) + Insurrection Industries CARBY v2.4d + Manhattan HDMI to VGA Converter

Game Boy Interface High-Fidelity Edition (480p) + EON GCHD Mk-II v2.4c.2
Game Boy Interface High-Fidelity Edition (1080i) + EON GCHD Mk-II v2.4c.2 + HD Retrovision Wii Component Cable
Game Boy Interface High-Fidelity Edition (1080i) + EON GCHD Mk-II v2.4c.2 + Manhattan HDMI to VGA Converter
Last edited by Extrems on Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

Seems My Life in Gaming will be putting out a review video for the GBAConsolizer very soon.
Should go into more detail and better comparisons then MJR using the Retron5.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Eventually it really comes to whether you're allergic to 4:2:2 artefacts or not. I had people over here with me that cannot spot a difference between a Framemeister and an OSSC (very similar in nature to your question about the GBAconsolizer).

If you need 4:4:4 "pixel edges" to enjoy your gameplay, then the Consolizer is a pretty nice step up, but you aren't very perceptive to the issue, you might not even notice a difference.
NormalFish

Post by NormalFish »

I expect the consolizer to end up being 'easier' to put together with time than the NGC rig. Hard to say how long it will take, but the shopping list for putting together an optimal gameboy-via-NGC set up is pretty substantial. All this regardless of the comparisons in video quality (which I expect will be a wash for most).
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Got mine recently. I’ll probably work on it tonight and put up my thoughts some time this week.

I’ve been really excited about this for a while, mainly because A. I’m looking to save space by reducing my reliance on the clunky GC-GB player setup w/ those expensive component cables, and B. Lag-free without needing to run some unofficial software.

Lot of twitter commenters are complaining about the price, but if you do the maths and tally up what it costs to get that clunky GC setup to play your original GBA carts, you’re well passed the price of this kit + a donor GBA.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

opt2not wrote:Got mine recently. I’ll probably work on it tonight and put up my thoughts some time this week.

I’ve been really excited about this for a while, mainly because A. I’m looking to save space by reducing my reliance on the clunky GC-GB player setup w/ those expensive component cables, and B. Lag-free without needing to run some unofficial software.

Lot of twitter commenters are complaining about the price, but if you do the maths and tally up what it costs to get that clunky GC setup to play your original GBA carts, you’re well passed the price of this kit + a donor GBA.
Nice! Interested to hear how you like it after you have a chance to try it out.
Found a few posts on twitter saying that the DVI+ mode with digital audio is causing a lot of trouble and compatibility issues.
Which sounds like the old OSSC days where there was a similar issue. So hopefully firmware updates can solve it.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I wasn't sure about audio implementation. MJR in his review said that there was no digital audio and it's purely through the analogue output.

Also the case quality is looking fantastic in his video. So much better than in any of the previous videos available.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

Fudoh wrote:I wasn't sure about audio implementation. MJR in his review said that there was no digital audio and it's purely through the analogue output.

Also the case quality is looking fantastic in his video. So much better than in any of the previous videos available.
Pretty sure he said in the video that he tried DVI+ digital audio mode, but it would not give a picture on his "game" TV room, "upstairs" TV or elgato capture card so had to turn it off and use analog audio mode.
One of the posts on twitter said they used this splitter and then able to get digital audio working normally. Worth a try for $30 to try and fix problem I guess.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L0X2GIU/
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Fudoh wrote:I wasn't sure about audio implementation. MJR in his review said that there was no digital audio and it's purely through the analogue output.
The name of the option is "DVI+" I am pretty sure MJR mentioned that he was having issues with digital audio enabled, he mentioned that compatibility depends on your setup, but that for him it wasn't working so he had to use analog audio.

Isn't there a similar issue with "Enhanced DVI Mode"?

https://github.com/ikorb/gcvideo/tree/m ... cvideo_dvi

"The third option enables enhanced DVI mode. Since this mode may not be acceptable to all displays, it is disabled by default."

I wouldn't be surprised if you could bypass these issues if you used an Extron or something, at least that's how it was for "Enhanced DVI Mode".
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Thanks! I admit I'm not paying this much attention while watching his videos :mrgreen:
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

What is this "LCD Kit" thing that is mentioned?
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

opt2not wrote:Got mine recently. I’ll probably work on it tonight and put up my thoughts some time this week.

If you do your own work. If not, they're charging $330 I think it was for a complete setup

Gamecube and GBP will run you 50ish without much waiting around, component cables $150, xeno modchip $2.

That's a significant difference.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Lawfer wrote:What is this "LCD Kit" thing that is mentioned?
The LCD kit is where it still looks like a GBA just with a 3D printed part sticking out where the LCD used to be, as opposed to a completely new case.
ApolloBoy

Post by ApolloBoy »

DejahThoris wrote:

If you do your own work. If not, they're charging $330 I think it was for a complete setup

Gamecube and GBP will run you 50ish without much waiting around, component cables $150, xeno modchip $2.

It also winds up being cheaper if you forgo the component cables and get something like a GCHD or Carby instead.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Ok, so I was able to successfully install this kit this weekend.

The install went relatively smooth, but there were a couple things that I messed up on that made me have to spend more time fixing. First, I didn't realize that Jason @ Game-TechUS included thin wires for you to use. I ended up using slightly thicker wires, and while it worked out ok, it's not ideal. The reason I didn't notice he included it in the kit was because there wasn't a list sheet of parts in the package, and also he packaged the wires in the same bag as the mounting parts, which was overlooked because you don't need those parts till the end of the install.
But no matter, it turned out fine. Also, I should mention he doesn't include the double-sided foam tape for mounting the break-out board, so you'll have to get that yourself.

The couple issues I had was, 1. I accidentally knocked a couple of the tiny surface-mount resistors near the clock crystal when I was removing it with my hot-air station. This was a big PITA as they're super tiny resistors, and it took me like an hour to get both of them back on the board. 2. When I put the case back on I didn't realize one of my shoulder button wires slipped onto the position right above the screw hole, so when I screwed the case on the screw put pressure on the wire, ripping the pad it was connected to. I had to go and scrap the trace connected to it to solder the wire back to that line. NOTE: Be very delicate with those pads. They're tiny and very easy to tear off, or overheat. I recommend using a lot of flux and try to be quick about apply heat.

The instructions on Game-TechUS's site is a bit scattered since he's supporting both the LCD kit and the Full Case kit. So some of the info is sort of mix and matched. Be sure to read the instructions very carefully, because you might miss something that is pertaining to one install from the other.
Also, I'd recommend checking out Voultar's full-case install video. For me, there were a couple things he did that relate to the LCD kit install, and his video is very clearly laid out. Game-tech's videos are a bit longer and kinda unorganized, but there is still a lot of the info there. You just got to be patient and watch more of his video to get it. Personally I didn't use Game-tech's videos (i'm impatient), I used his write-up descriptions and images on his site in conjunction with Voultar's install video.

How is the Consolizer, after everything's installed? ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!
Pics from my BenQ Zowie:

The image is super crispy. The menu options are nice, and you can play around with a good amount of settings from colour changes, to different types of scanlines, to setting the output between 4x, 4.5x, and 5x zoom (4.5x sets the image to fill the vertical space while playing GBA games, while 5x is best for running Gameboy and GBC games).
But one of the things I noticed right away was the input lag, or lack of it! It was so responsive, night and day from my GC Gameboy player set-up, even with running the homebrew GBI settings. I didn't get to play much after I installed, but from the few games I loaded up, I instantly felt the difference.

Overall, I'm very happy with the end result!

Kez wrote:
Lawfer wrote:What is this "LCD Kit" thing that is mentioned?
The LCD kit is where it still looks like a GBA just with a 3D printed part sticking out where the LCD used to be, as opposed to a completely new case.
Yeah, I opted for the LCD install because I really don't like the look of the Full-case. It increases the size of the unit, and overall it looks a bit too DIY'y for me. I'd like to see what options are available in the future, if someone else takes a crack at a different full-case, but the one that is featured on the site doesn't really jive with me aesthetically.

I have a Black replacement shell coming that I plan on transferring this into, just to keep the unit looking sleek and altogether colour-themed.
DejahThoris wrote:

You're right. I wasn't really talking about the complete setup, as a lot of those commenters were mentioning the expense of the kit itself before Jason offered up the fully installed versions a few days later. $330 is indeed a bit too expensive. If you're unable to install it yourself, this price might be a turn-off.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

Looking good opt2not!

Did you have any trouble with the DVI+ (digital audio) being enabled?
How would you compare picture quality to your GBPlayer setup?
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

I got you now, opt2not. I'd seen a ton of flak over the complete setup prices, hadn't noticed it before they'd announced those.

It does look fantastic though. I'm eager for mine to come in!
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Seraphic wrote:Looking good opt2not!

Did you have any trouble with the DVI+ (digital audio) being enabled?
How would you compare picture quality to your GBPlayer setup?
Thanks!

I haven't had any issues with the DVI+ yet. But I've only tested this on my Benq Zowie, which has been pretty forgiving with everything I've thrown at it.

As for quality, the GBPlayer still had a bit of blurriness to it when I upscaled using my XRGB Mini.

The consolizer's image output is sharper, crispier.

Here's some old pictures of what it looked like on my GBPlayer:
Spoiler

Mind, scanlines are turned on here. But the overall image quality didn't seem as sharp.
DejahThoris wrote:I got you now, opt2not. I'd seen a ton of flak over the complete setup prices, hadn't noticed it before they'd announced those.

It does look fantastic though. I'm eager for mine to come in!
Thanks man, I'm really pleased with how it turned out, and happy I didn't botch the install. There were a couple moments there that I thought I screwed up, but luckily I was able to fix some of the problems I incurred during installation. Once I get my new shell and buttons, I'm going to post an updated picture of my consolizer, as well as so more screens of the video output.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

That's a night and day difference. Wow.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Mind you, it's not on the same TV. The profile I set-up on my XRGB Mini was from FirebrandX.
But yeah, there's definitely a difference.

Also, one annoyance with the kit I forgot to mention is that you have to solder in the SNES controller port onto the main board. This was a PITA to get lined-up straight. Why Game-TechUS didn't solder this in for you is beyond my comprehension.
Even mine isn't lined-up 100%, it's off to an angle just slightly. Enough that I can notice it, but I guess no-one can tell unless they look closely.

Still, this port should have been done already in the kit.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

Here is a new review that popped up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1dJrgXtDc0
Emerl

Post by Emerl »

It's still a huge bummer this thing doesn't do 1080p. Is there any particular reason why it doesn't? Good quality 720p TVs are hard to come by, and scaling from 720p to 1080p is garbage on most sets.
MidOrFeed2015

Post by MidOrFeed2015 »

this thing does not have RGB? only HDMI?
nmalinoski

Post by nmalinoski »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:this thing does not have RGB? only HDMI?
Correct; the Consolizer only has HDMI output. You'll need to use an HDMI->VGA converter to get RGB, and you might need a downconverter if you need it in 480i/240p.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

MidOrFeed2015 wrote:this thing does not have RGB? only HDMI?
HDMI 720p only.
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

So does it put the image into a frame for 4x (640 pixels tall)? The source image is 240x160, right?
shroom2k

Post by shroom2k »

opt2not wrote: The image is super crispy. The menu options are nice, and you can play around with a good amount of settings from colour changes, to different types of scanlines, to setting the output between 4x, 4.5x, and 5x zoom (4.5x sets the image to fill the vertical space while playing GBA games, while 5x is best for running Gameboy and GBC games).
But one of the things I noticed right away was the input lag, or lack of it! It was so responsive, night and day from my GC Gameboy player set-up, even with running the homebrew GBI settings.
Well, if you're running your GC through the Framemeister (and possibly use upscaling? unoptimized GBI settings?), than that might account for most of the lag.