VP50 Pro getting really hot, fans don't spin

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
shawly

VP50 Pro getting really hot, fans don't spin

Post by shawly »

I got my VP50 Pro today so I can finally use line qintupling with the OSSC. But because the case was getting hot which concerned me I opened it up, it was especially hot on the area where the power plug is.
After measuring if the fans are dead, it came out that there is no current supplied over the 5V pin.

I've seen pictures of people hooking up the fans to a constant 5V line because this is the default behavior of the VP50. Isn't there any better solution?
Fudoh

Re: VP50 Pro getting really hot, fans don't spin

Post by Fudoh »

The heat is produced as a combination of the dual FPGA chips and the HDMI transmitter chips. The FPGA fans are temperature controlled. They tend to get pretty hot before they kick in. This doesn't change the heat output of the HDMI chips though. And the FPGA fans are noisy on top of that.

Best solution: get a silent 140mm fan, put it on top of the machine (on top of the venting holes) and connect it to the trigger output of the 50Pro (mini jack on the back on the unit). This way you can control the fan using the 50Pro's remote or enable them permanently (both options are available in the menu, under trigger controls).

This complete solves the heat issue for both the FPGAs and the HDMI chips. Best thing you can do.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

PS: And the cherry on top (in the negative sense) is that the 50Pro remains powered on all the time, so it's basically just a faux-standby. This means the unit remains hot to the touch even when it's not in use. So make sure to unplug the power supply when you don't the machine.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Fudoh wrote:PS: And the cherry on top (in the negative sense) is that the 50Pro remains powered on all the time, so it's basically just a faux-standby. This means the unit remains hot to the touch even when it's not in use. So make sure to unplug the power supply when you don't the machine.
I can confirm this. I only plug mine in for use. The Duo doesn't seem to have this issue and I am able to leave it plugged in.
shawly

Post by shawly »

Thanks for the heads up! But it seems as if the daughter board for the 12V plugs has been removed, looking at this picture: http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/fc/525x525px- ... 96656.jpeg
The board on the left is completely missing on my device... Seems like I have to use some low voltage fans and get the current from somewhere else..
Fudoh wrote:PS: And the cherry on top (in the negative sense) is that the 50Pro remains powered on all the time, so it's basically just a faux-standby. This means the unit remains hot to the touch even when it's not in use. So make sure to unplug the power supply when you don't the machine.
I already noticed, but I usually switch off my power strips anyway. :)
Gara

Post by Gara »

Fudoh covered it. Put that sucker on a power switch so you can completely cut the power when off. It will stay hot 24/7 if left in standby mode. A fan sitting on top will keep it cool to the touch when on. Using the trigger ports to power a fan is your best bet. It's pretty simple to wire up a mono audio cable to a fan.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071J8BZ8S

That's the one I used on the first rebranded Vp50 pro I had. I used the lowest RPM (950rpm I think) adapter and wired it to a mono audio cable. It kept the unit cool to the touch.

My current DVDO VP50 Pro came with non working trigger ports. There are lots of other fan powering solutions, but use the trigger ports if you can.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Honestly the 50 pro is a pain. At first I thought it was just mine but I've heard similar stories from almost everyone. I'd recommend another scaler like the Duo.
shawly

Post by shawly »

Gara wrote:Fudoh covered it. Put that sucker on a power switch so you can completely cut the power when off. It will stay hot 24/7 if left in standby mode. A fan sitting on top will keep it cool to the touch when on. Using the trigger ports to power a fan is your best bet. It's pretty simple to wire up a mono audio cable to a fan.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071J8BZ8S

That's the one I used on the first rebranded Vp50 pro I had. I used the lowest RPM (950rpm I think) adapter and wired it to a mono audio cable. It kept the unit cool to the touch.

My current DVDO VP50 Pro came with non working trigger ports. There are lots of other fan powering solutions, but use the trigger ports if you can.
Like I said, my trigger ports are gone. I need another place to get the current for my fans.
Gara

Post by Gara »

Like I said, my trigger ports are gone. I need another place to get the current for my fans.
Gotcha. I didn't realize you were talking about the trigger ports. Something like this should work
https://www.amazon.com/CRJ-Power-Supply ... 071FNN9W7/
Just put it on the same switch as your VP50. Fans like the one I listed come with various adapters that can control how fast the fan will run.
shawly

Post by shawly »

So I just added a small fan I found in my scrap box which can run at 3.3V, currently testing the temps to find an ideal position, either at the case top blowing air out or at the bottom pulling air in.
I'll still get some 5V USB fans with a switch for regulation like this one, I'm using a few of these to cool my PS4 and XBOne in my TV bank which is a pretty tight space.
The only problem is finding a 5V source on the board that I could use. I've found a few but they aren't able to power the fan, so I'm currently using the 3.3V source from the 3V pin.

Also here's an image of the missing 12V trigger ports. Do you think somebody removed it or is this the default if you got the HD-SDI expansion module?

Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

or is this the default if you got the HD-SDI expansion module?
no, I have both :mrgreen:
shawly

Post by shawly »

Fudoh wrote:no, I have both :mrgreen:
Wow, I payed 314€ plus 56€ for customs for the thing without a PSU or a remote and then it isn't even feature complete, I'm a little upset right now..