Denon x3400h OSSC 480i passthru problem

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Gara

Re: Denon x3400h OSSC 480i passthru problem

Post by Gara »

It re-enabled each time. Didn't seem to want to remember my preference. It was turning the setting on when 480i displayed then back off when it displayed anything else. They really needed sub menus to help customize. Like checkboxes showing which signal types should or should not have processing.

Can you please take some pictures or video of the issue you're seeing? Got me curious
I'll do some lag tests later today on the f8500 and my lg oled. I'll even remember to write them down! I'll do port 2 pc mode (or whatever the correct port is) vs lg oled pc mode (for full rgb) with gaming profile.

The LG Oled is huge improvement in input lag. Which is great for my ongoing project. I've been trying to find a way to process 480i that doesn't look terrible. With lag as low as 12ms it gives me some headroom to add more video processors to the chain. A dvdo vp50 pro, Optoma hd-3000, and an Extron dsc 301 hd. I had buy a 4x4 hdmi matrix to get it integrated in to my setup. Let's me quickly switch between all 3 processors while feeding the ossc output into all 3. DVDO and Optoma both do an excellent job. I've spent more time getting these things in to my signal chain and researching them than actually using them. It's a fun project though

I still need to add another Framemeister back into my setup. A horrid expense just for 480i gaming but I'd like to see how it does against the Dvdo and Optoma. I sold my framemeister ages ago thinking the ossc a better choice. It is. It just sucks for 480i.
DarkRoastChris

Post by DarkRoastChris »

https://imgur.com/gallery/IxehlG4

Ok so the first picture is just with the OSSC on 480i passthru running into the Denon and all video processing off. This is the one that has the waterfall like effect.
The second is with the video conversion turned on, i/p scaler off.
The third is the same but with Game mode turned on.
The fourth is video conversion turned on, i/p scaler on, game mode off.

As you can see all are completely unplayable. This is the exact same screenshot of the game just with the different receiver options checked.

Wow you have some sort of project going on, puts my setup that I'm working on to shame. I can only imagine the pure bliss of getting to fire it up and having that silky smooth picture that I can only dream of. You will have to let me know the best way that you've found to process 480i, as that too seems to be my Achilles heel. I was recently bidding on a dvdo vp50 pro but the price went to absurd heights, as it seems to nowadays. I've never owned a Framemeister and sometimes I still think of buying one, but with Micomsoft discontinuing it and saying that they are working on a successor to it (hopefully) I almost prefer to wait. Especially if I do get another TV I would want something a bit more compatible with a 4k TV, which I've heard about the pink Framemeister screens. That and trying to get the money together for all these things is a challenge in and of itself.

But first things first, getting this Denon issue fixed. Can't get my dream setup working if the receiver is gonna be finicky with 480i.
Gara

Post by Gara »

That is a strange one. I can't seem to get the Denon to pass 480i via ossc that my TV will recognize without turning on the Denon video processing. I'll try some more experimenting but it looks like the Denon will be staying out of my chain for the foreseeable future.

I ran through some lag tests with the time sleuth. Results are top, middle, and bottom testing bar.

Samsung plasma 60" F8500. hdmi port 3. Pc mode. Pc mode is turned off with 480p/480i sources. Game mode used instead.
Spoiler
480i game mode

480p/480i no game mode

480p game mode

720p pc mode

1080p pc mode
LG oled 65" C9. Pc mode and game mode enabled.
Spoiler
480i

480p

720p
21 08

1080p
There is that 120ms I remember on 480i. It goes down with game mode thankfully. I'll have to do a write up one of these days comparing the video processors. I'll probably wait till I finally have a framemeister. I still end up playing mostly on crts when it comes to 480i. I'm hoping that will change with this new TV. It will be fun exploring the options.
DarkRoastChris

Post by DarkRoastChris »

First off marqs did reply and this is one time that I cannot seem to find a way to change what he is saying needs to be changed to get the 480i signal into the Denon. Its a little greek to me this time. I asked him about it and hopefully can get a little bit more of an explanation.

Secondly, yikes to those f8500 lag times. I knew the 480i was bad but I was hoping for something a bit closer to 40ms in any progressive scan mode. I will be very interested to test my f8500 when I get my time sleuth to see if I'm getting similar times. However those LG C9 times are superb. I'm impressed.
After seeing those times though I'm not gonna lie, I started looking online at some other TVs. Its no wonder it seems damn near impossible to get 1CCs with lag times like that. It seems like the LG OLED C9 is one of the best for lag times so that would definitely be a good choice. I still have an old Sony Trinitron that I keep around for light gun games but I may have to start pulling it out for shmups again for the time being.
Any major pros and cons that you've found with the LG C9?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

First off marqs did reply and this is one time that I cannot seem to find a way to change what he is saying needs to be changed to get the 480i signal into the Denon. Its a little greek to me this time. I asked him about it and hopefully can get a little bit more of an explanation.
that's not (yet) user adjustable, but from the sounds of it, it looks like an easy fix on a firmware level.
DarkRoastChris

Post by DarkRoastChris »

Thank you Fudoh. I had a feeling it wasn't something I could change but it never hurts to ask. Fingers crossed that it is adjustable in the next firmware update. Then at least the problem will be solved for two OSSC users and any others that may come across this problem in the future.
DarkRoastChris

Post by DarkRoastChris »

Reposted from the Video Game Perfection forum

(Ok so I’ve updated the firmware and first impressions are very good. I have the OSSC running into the Denon on 480i passthru and the picture is no longer a complete mess. It seems to be a normal 480i picture and when I switch the Denon to Game mode I no longer get the weird color distortion. I will continue playing some different games and consoles to see if there is any other abnormalities but as of right now I am very happy with what I am seeing.
Gara I recommend that you try out the firmware for yourself and see if it fixes your problems as well.

A huge thank you to marqs for the all the help and support. The OSSC is an amazing invention and I am super happy to be able to put it back into my setup.)

As of right now it seems like there is a fix for the problem that both myself and Gara have had with our OSSCs and Denon receivers. I will continue playing different games and consoles to see if this firmware update is the solution but currently it seems to work perfectly.

Also a big thanks to everyone that helped me try to figure out this obscure problem, and an additional thanks to Gara for the support along the way.
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Glad you got it to work! (and glad I didn't have to rip my OSSC out of my rack to test mine on the Denon in the other room ;)

So is this firmware a normal one released on the OSSC site?
DarkRoastChris

Post by DarkRoastChris »

Actually this is a test firmware that marqs created after doing some testing on his own Denon receiver. It can be downloaded from the topic on the VGP forums.
Here is the link.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... post-26884

Just scroll down towards the bottom and look for the post by marqs about created test firmware. You can download it there and test out for yourself. I hope it will be included in the new firmware for everyone to download so that hopefully no one else runs into this issue.