Best CRT with S-Video

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
robotvendingmachine

Best CRT with S-Video

Post by robotvendingmachine »

I have been searching for the best CRT with S-Video. From what I see it looks like the JVC D series is the best but I want opinions.
maxtherabbit

Re: Best CRT with S-Video

Post by maxtherabbit »

I don't use svideo very much, but I do love my 2 D-series more than any consumer Trinitron I've tried
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

My two silver D50X JVC's have been horrible, but the best CRT monitors, period, I've ever seen with S-Video are the 750 TVLine JVC pro monitors. They have something special going on with how they decode S-Video for sure.
Taiyaki

Post by Taiyaki »

Any of those late Sony Trinitron or Panasonic tv's have amazing S-video. Toshiba handle it pretty well too.

I use RGB again now, but for some years I dropped RGB and used S-video instead, and honestly aside from colors being somewhat more messy requiring different settings, sharpness wise it was really like 80% optimal, so pretty amazing really.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Probably preaching to the choir; but I tended to find that if you've got a decent set then the main 'hazard' to quality svideo is someone plugging in a shitty cable, or breaking the nice ones - the perils of shared video equipment - but yeah don't forget your cables.

Otherwise, at whatever price range you find yourself chasing the svideo dragon, you might start considering rgb -though appreciate that's probably a ballache state side... I'm also presuming here this isn't for one particular special use/reason which might rule out rgb?
robotvendingmachine

gray117 wrote:Probably preaching to the choir; but I tended to find that if you've got a decent set then the main 'hazard' to quality svideo is someone plugging in a shitty cable, or breaking the nice ones - the perils of shared video equipment - but yeah don't forget your cables.

Otherwise, at whatever price range you find yourself chasing the svideo dragon, you might start considering rgb -though appreciate that's probably a ballache state side... I'm also presuming here this isn't for one particular special use/reason which might rule out rgb?
The S-Video is mainly for my N65 everything else is RGB.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Ah right - presume picking up the monitor is less hassle (cost+space) than n64 modding, or prefer to simply keep things unmodded?

...Sorry not a nintendo guy, but if the rest of your stuff was rgb I'd *assume* that modding might be the easiest route for anything other than nes (that colour thing) and older systems.? ...Unless of course you just prefer to keep the system 'unmolested' :shock:
robotvendingmachine

gray117 wrote:Ah right - presume picking up the monitor is less hassle (cost+space) than n64 modding, or prefer to simply keep things unmodded?

...Sorry not a nintendo guy, but if the rest of your stuff was rgb I'd *assume* that modding might be the easiest route for anything other than nes (that colour thing) and older systems.? ...Unless of course you just prefer to keep the system 'unmolested' :shock:
I will RGB mod one of my N64s but the other is a special edition Pikachu system so that one is staying unmodded I also hear that S-Video is really close to RGB on the N64.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

The Sony KV-xxTS30 should be really nice, since it has all the same circuitry enhancement of the KV-20XBR/KV-25XBR and of some older PVMs too. I think it has the same tube too. I was heavily considering getting one before I stumbled upon my KV-25XBR.

Someone posted pics of a little prosumer JVC set awhile back, that has S-video but no RGB, and slot shadowmask, and it looked absolutely PHENOMENAL. JVC's sets are damn nice but more over : their implementation of S-video seems a bit better (in my humble experience with a couple JVC models) than that of Sony sets. including PVMs(the lower-tier and midlle-tier PVMs, anyway).

Speaking of JVC sets : the Commodore monitors, made by JVC, look killer when using chroma-luma! (they even look pretty decent with composite). Can't go wrong with that.

Yeah, any good JVC set should be real nice for s-video on a consumer tube.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
robotvendingmachine

FinalBaton wrote:The Sony KV-xxTS30 should be really nice, since it has all the same circuitry enhancement of the KV-20XBR/KV-25XBR and of some older PVMs too. I think it has the same tube too. I was heavily considering getting one before I stumbled upon my KV-25XBR.

Someone posted pics of a little prosumer JVC set awhile back, that has S-video but no RGB, and slot shadowmask, and it looked absolutely PHENOMENAL. JVC's sets are damn nice but more over : their implementation of S-video seems a bit better (in my humble experience with a couple JVC models) than that of Sony sets. including PVMs(the lower-tier and midlle-tier PVMs, anyway).

Speaking of JVC sets : the Commodore monitors, made by JVC, look killer when using chroma-luma! Can't go wrong with that.

Hopefully it was the JVC TM-A130SU because that is the one I picked up.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

robotvendingmachine wrote:
FinalBaton wrote:The Sony KV-xxTS30 should be really nice, since it has all the same circuitry enhancement of the KV-20XBR/KV-25XBR and of some older PVMs too. I think it has the same tube too. I was heavily considering getting one before I stumbled upon my KV-25XBR.

Speaking of JVC sets : the Commodore monitors, made by JVC, look killer when using chroma-luma! Can't go wrong with that.

Hopefully it was the JVC TM-A130SU because that is the one I picked up.
Yep that's the one! Enjoy :mrgreen:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-