Framemeister's Analog to Digital noise issue occur on HDMI?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
KevinPike

Framemeister's Analog to Digital noise issue occur on HDMI?

Post by KevinPike »

So I've been using the Framemeister for the past couple years and have been very happy with it, however I want to upgrade to an OSSC and combine them and use them together. In other words, I'm use the FM to normalize the signal and have the FM handle 480i. I'm just wondering if the FM has the same noise issue on it's HDMI input? I remember reading somewhere it doesn't happen on it, but I can't seem to find it. In theory it shouldn't, since it's over HDMI which is digital, but I'd figure I should ask the experts first. Cheers.
BuckoA51

Re: Framemeister's Analog to Digital noise issue occur on HD

Post by BuckoA51 »

The noise occurs on all inputs, so does the added lag.

Not exactly sure what you are hoping to achieve, FM already has excellent 240p handling, apart from a few edge cases there's scant reason to chain them together.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Gara

Post by Gara »

You would invalidate any "upgrade" by chaining them together. I'm guessing you have a TV that doesn't support 3x or higher modes on the ossc and you're envisioning the Framemeister as a signal normalizer? It has been done, but it's sure not worth the effort. Framemeister does a terrible job upscaling 480p. By all means keep the Framemeister for 480i. Just keep it separate
KevinPike

Post by KevinPike »

BuckoA51 wrote:The noise occurs on all inputs, so does the added lag.

Not exactly sure what you are hoping to achieve, FM already has excellent 240p handling, apart from a few edge cases there's scant reason to chain them together.
Basically have the OSSC handle 240p, with the FM to normalize it, passthrough 480i straight to the FM, and have 480p line doubled to 960p and smooth it out without with the FM without the false contourig errors of it's 480p upscaling.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If you don't require the FM to make the OSSC's output more compatible with your setup, you can still use a HDMI splitter between the OSSC and FM. Directly pass to your TV whatever works and pass through the FM what requires additional processing (like 480i sources). This way you utilize the FM's superior A/D conversion and keep your setup simply by still initially connecting every source to the OSSC.