Gamecube YPbPr vs Eon II

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Steamflogger Boss

Gamecube YPbPr vs Eon II

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

If anyone here has used both and wouldn't mind posting comparison pics/thoughts that would be awesome. I got a deal on the cable from a friend that is streamlining their set-up to be more HDMI oriented. While I personally prefer the original cable and CRTs I am wondering if there is a noticeable difference either way.

If this has already been brought up or has a thread I didn't see it, but sorry and mods feel free to merge it in. Searched but not too hard.
Extrems

Re: Gamecube YPbPr vs Eon II

Post by Extrems »

Last edited by Extrems on Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Great, thank you very much.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

My Life in Gaming made a video comparing the Official Nintendo GameCube Component Cables YPbPr output to the Eon GCHD MK-II's YPbPr.

https://youtu.be/8RBgbA8DhM0?t=17m24s

The Eon GCHD MK-II's YPbPr is slightly cleaner due to less edge artifacts.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

GeneraLight wrote:The Eon GCHD MK-II's YPbPr is slightly cleaner due to less edge artifacts.
Are you sure?

maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

Extrems wrote:
GeneraLight wrote:The Eon GCHD MK-II's YPbPr is slightly cleaner due to less edge artifacts.
Are you sure?

:lol:
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Extrems wrote:
Are you sure?

Is that the official component cables? Show both.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

That's the EON GCHD Mk-II with the HD Retrovision Wii/Wii U YPbPr Component Cable.

All comparisons are linked above.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Well shit

In all of those comparisons using different capture devices and resolutions, the official Nintendo GameCube Component cables actually give out a considerably cleaner and sharper image than the EON GCHD MkII's YPbPr does. Would using Retro-Access BNC RGB Cables with the EON GCHD Mk-II yield the better results? It looks like the DVI output is still crisper and cleaner than even the official Nintendo GameCube Component cables, especially in the first comparison with the digital television. Maybe I could just ouptut DVI and do my own digital-to-analog conversion to analog BNC cables.

I wonder if EON will be able to fix the noise and pixel shift in a firmware update, or maybe a better DAC chip is needed altogether. This seriously makes me question how accurate MLiG's captures were, or if they're even authentic. Could just be shilling for EON.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

The noise can't be fixed with a firmware update, that's a board design flaw. Unless disabling HDMI altogether helps somehow.
The rectals are great as a cable, but a particularly bad source will appear worse with them.

Disregard the color issues, they were fixed with v2.4c.2, but I'm still working on getting upgraded. I'd be done if there were a JTAG header.
I don't know if units are shipping with the new firmware yet.

I was hesitant to post the 1080i results, but this is what people are seeing right now, and the noise is inescapable.
makar1

Post by makar1 »

Extrems wrote: Disregard the color issues, they were fixed with v2.4c.2, but I'm still working on getting upgraded. I'd be done if there were a JTAG header.
I don't know if units are shipping with the new firmware yet.
Is the GCHD MkII compatible with the standard GCDual firmware, or is it customized for the hardware?
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

The card Datapath E1/S cards do not have a low pass filters. Almost all other devices have an LPF present help combat this noise. MLIG gaming captures are not
fake.

The official cables also don't hold so well in 1080i either.

(Official Component on Left, EON MK2 on right)

Reluctant Hero

Post by Reluctant Hero »

GeneraLight wrote:
Well shit

In all of those comparisons using different capture devices and resolutions, the official Nintendo GameCube Component cables actually give out a considerably cleaner and sharper image than the EON GCHD MkII's YPbPr does. Would using Retro-Access BNC RGB Cables with the EON GCHD Mk-II yield the better results? It looks like the DVI output is still crisper and cleaner than even the official Nintendo GameCube Component cables, especially in the first comparison with the digital television. Maybe I could just ouptut DVI and do my own digital-to-analog conversion to analog BNC cables.

I wonder if EON will be able to fix the noise and pixel shift in a firmware update, or maybe a better DAC chip is needed altogether. This seriously makes me question how accurate MLiG's captures were, or if they're even authentic. Could just be shilling for EON.
I puke be wrong but I thought MLiG was pairing the the unreleased HD Retrovision Wii/WiiU component cables with the Eon Mk. II. And that’s how how their tests resulted in the Eon coming out out over the original GC component cables.
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Reluctant Hero wrote:
I puke be wrong but I thought MLiG was pairing the the unreleased HD Retrovision Wii/WiiU component cables with the Eon Mk. II. And that’s how how their tests resulted in the Eon coming out out over the original GC component cables.
They are using normal cables akaik. 1080i requires significant amount more bandwidth compared to 480p. When the EON MK2 was designed no testing was done on 1080i material. The DAC used the MK2 is likely "better" than the official component (This is a subjective statement) and the reason why MLIG said the EON looked better.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

• Updated with v2.4c.2 results.
  • Reassessed the HD Retrovision SNES Component Cable and Nintendo GameCube Component Video Cable through the Datapath VisionRGB.
  • Tested a random HDMI to VGA converter found around the house.

The output was so hot I had to make use of all channels contrast, but damn.
makar1

Post by makar1 »

Extrems wrote:
  • Reassessed the HD Retrovision SNES Component Cable and Nintendo GameCube Component Video Cable through the Datapath VisionRGB.
Does the HDRV cable outperform Nintendo's Wii Component cable?

Also, which HDMI to VGA converter are you using? I wasn't able to get an output through the popular Tendak HDMI-VGA converter on either the GCHDII or Carby.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

You'd know if you looked at the data.

I'm guessing it doesn't work because it has no external power supply.
makar1

Post by makar1 »

There aren't any results on gc-forever for the Nintendo Wii Component cable.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

I don't have it, therefore I can't test it. My understanding is it would sit somewhere between the Datel Wii HD Component Cable and the HD Retrovision Wii Component Cable.

I waited to buy the best to eliminate external factors with the EON GCHD Mk-II.

If you already have it, it's probably not worth replacing.
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Extrems wrote:
[img]

The output was so hot I had to make use of all channels contrast, but damn.
Extrems I have been looking carefully at the images but i'm having trouble seeing any differences? Perhaps its just me (Or my eyes/monitor!) but could you possibly elaborate on what issues you are seeing?
Last edited by Link83 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Are you looking at the thumbnails or the full pictures?
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Extrems wrote:Are you looking at the thumbnails or the full pictures?
The full pictures (Full screened) but i'm afraid i'm still having trouble seeing the differences.
<EDIT>I can see the differences between v2.4b and the official cables, but not between v2.4c.2 and official cables.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

Assuming you were only looking at 480p through the Datapath VisionRGB, I've now changed the gallery images to the unfiltered version, with a link underneath for the low-pass filtered version.

You can also see this YouTube comment thread for some background.
Extrems

Post by Extrems »

I think I'm done for the time being, so I'm bumping this again.
  • Tested in full frame 720x480.
  • Tested with RetroRGB Comp2DVI v2.1.
  • Added DSSIM, SSIM and PSNR metrics.