Dual Extron RGB daisy-chain for ADSP & DDSP Simultaneously

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Speedy

Dual Extron RGB daisy-chain for ADSP & DDSP Simultaneously

Post by Speedy »

Has anyone tried daisy-chaining a couple Extron RGB interfaces?

I have a need to use both DDSP and ADSP for Horizontal/Vertical centering simultaneously. Turning on DDSP disables the ADSP centering controls.

I'm thinking about running one of my RGB 192v interfaces into my RGB 203 Rxi so I can use DDSP (480i sync fix) on the 192 and ADSP (centering) on the 203.

I need DDSP to fix 480i issues caused by my Beharbros Garo and I need Horizontal/Vertical centering for some reason as well. I'm using the Garo because I want to have my gcompsw connect and auto-switch automatically into and along with my gscartsw switches.

The goal is to not have to manually switch inputs or adjust alignment on my BVM-D monitor.

I'd try it right now but I'm missing the necessary BNC to DB15 cable.
Fudoh

Re: Dual Extron RGB daisy-chain for ADSP & DDSP Simultaneous

Post by Fudoh »

I have chained them. Two 164xi I think. Basically to achieve a 1:3 split. The 164 only has horizontal shift controls.

Basically works fine but I found that with certain shift settings I would get interferences. This was fixed by using a different combination of settings on the two units.
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

You may already know this, but it's easy to miss so worth recalling: the D-series BVMs (maybe others also) allow you to set horizontal shift per channel in the "input configuration" submenu, so at least for horizontal shift it is not necessary to keep changing the global alignment settings. You'd just have to remember which channel you've customized for each of your systems.

Also, if you already have a SCART to BNC cable you could just use a DE-15 to SCART cable for use with the Extron interfaces.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Thank you both for your replies!

I tried this cable and it worked: https://amzn.com/B000067SM6

The only tricky part was that the H & V sync were opposite on the cable from what I expected. Easy enough to figure out though.

I haven't actually ran through all resolutions yet and verified whether ADSP & DDSP are playing well with each other. Going to give that a try tomorrow now that I got the basics working.
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

I finally got a chance to try this out over the weekend and the results weren't what I hoped for...

When I run my 480i RGBHV sources into a single Extron RGB (203 or 192) I'm able to use DDSP which fixes the 480i issues from my Beharbros Garo. Unfortunately, I also need to be able to use the H Shift adjustment which is disabled when enably DDSP which is why I wanted to daisy-chain two Extron RGB boxes.

DDSP wasn't able to fix the 480i issue when two Extron RGB boxes were daisy chained. I first tried enabling DDSP on the first box and then adjusting shift on the second box, but that didn't work so I tried the opposite and it also didn't work. I then thought that maybe it was an issue with either my 203 or 192 so I swapped them both out (yes, I have 4 of these Extron RGB boxes for some reason) and I tried changing the orders into every possible permutation.

The 480i problem can definitely be fixed when I have a single Extron RGB with DDSP enabled, but it actually seemed like the initial 480i problem of the Garo was made worse when I had two of Extron RGB boxes daisy-chained with DDSP enabled on one of them in the chain. Here's a very short video showing what 480i looks like with the boxes daisy-chained and with DDSP enabled on one of them.

I'm planning on swapping out the Garo for one of these eBay linuxbot3000 YPbPr to VGA converters in hopes that this is really all just an issue with the Garo.

With that said, I've also already tried using one of these Startech YPbPr to VGA boxes and it had the same issue as the Garo with 480i.

Thoughts?

Thanks again for any help.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What exactly do you mean by "using DDSP" ?

If you enable the DDSP switch, you disable the ADSP function on the Extron. If you do that on a regularly configured Extron you you get a 240p signal from the Extron intead. Is this what you mean by "fixing" the 480i output or what you want?

(can't watch your 4K video here, sorry).
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

With DDSP disabled on either the 203 or 192 when fed a 480i signal from a Beharbros Garo or Startech YPbPr to VGA converter the scanlines appear to jump/bounce alternating between odd/even lines. It’s not like typical 480i flicker, but rather that the scanlines aren’t showing up on their correct lines.

With a single Extron RGB enabling DDSP corrects this issue and I get a perfect 480i output (not a 240p picture and I'm ok with that). Unfortunately, I lose the ability to adjust horizontal and/or vertical shift.

Hence the daisy-chaining two Extron RGB interfaces. Unfortunately, when doing this, I get a slightly different problem with 480i... 240p works without issues for some reason, but 480i shows half the lines in the correct position but the other half of the lines are shifted down about 3 or 4 fields and they're dimmer. Very strange.

Thanks again for the help!