Mega SD

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
it290

Re: Mega SD

Post by it290 »

AceFan84 wrote:I'm in Illinois and I just got my shipping info updated last night, it's supposed to be here on Friday so you might want to check your status again!
When did you order? I'm also in IL and my tracking number still shows up as invalid on the DHL site.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Overkill wrote:Checking the DHL invoice I can now see each value:

66,64€ customs

Extra 49,70€ DHL services for taking care of the customs clearance.

So first value it's inside expected range and it's DHL who ripped me off.
So you still ended up having to pay 100+ euros in the end?
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

it290 wrote:
AceFan84 wrote:I'm in Illinois and I just got my shipping info updated last night, it's supposed to be here on Friday so you might want to check your status again!
When did you order? I'm also in IL and my tracking number still shows up as invalid on the DHL site.
I ordered it on June 21 according to my email.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Lawfer wrote:So you still ended up having to pay 100+ euros in the end?
Yes :cry:
it290

Post by it290 »

AceFan84 wrote:
it290 wrote:
I ordered it on June 21 according to my email.
July 19 here. So looks like I might be waiting for a bit.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

I haven't even received a tracking number. :( I ordered on the 8th of this month. Now I'm worried.
broken

Post by broken »

Rock Man wrote:I haven't even received a tracking number. :( I ordered on the 8th of this month. Now I'm worried.
No reason to be worried.

We are targeting mid September to have all outstanding orders shipped by.
Todd of Retro Frog

https://retrofrog.net/
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

So is there any advantages of the Mega Everdrive X7 over thw Mega SD? What can't the Mega SD do?
fernan1234

Post by fernan1234 »

GeneraLight wrote:So is there any advantages of the Mega Everdrive X7 over thw Mega SD? What can't the Mega SD do?
Only advantage might be more accurate FM sound on Master System games, going by earlier reports. It'd be good to have a fair comparison of FM sound on both cartridges, as well as how state saving/loading performs on each one for Mega Drive/Genesis games.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

Mine arrived today YAY! Unfortunately I don't have time to mess with it until tomorrow but I will post some impressions when I have them.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

How is the Mega SD with eeprom games? I know Mega Man The Wily Wars/Rockman Megaworld had issues with the Analogue Mega SG and Everdrive X7 (not sure if the eeprom version is working correctly with the former yet), though it now works correctly with X7. NBA Jam is a problem game for flash carts, as well.
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

I was able to mess around with my Mega SD this morning and so far I'm impressed. I own a bunch of Everdrives so I'm coming from that perspective, the SD compares well to the Everdrives in my experience so far. One minor complaint I have is that the micro sd card is pretty much impossible to fully push into the cart without something to poke it down (I used a small flat head screwdriver). It is deeper than the micro sd slot on the sd2snes pro (I can use my fingernail to get that one) but this is just a very minor complaint. The menu, while not the most attractive I've ever seen, is easy to navigate and has a lot of useful options. The menu is very snappy and responsive which is nice to see. I did update to the latest firmware and that went without a hitch. I haven't tried 32X yet (somethings wrong with my 32X, black screen on boot so I need to investigate that sometime) but from what I've tried SMS, Genesis, and CD roms all seem to work well (I'm using the redump CD roms which is what TO recommends). I turned the "in-game menu" option ON and tried the save state function in Aladdin on Genesis and it seemed to work great. It looks like each game has up to 8 save state slots which is really great! One bummer is from what I can tell SMS doesn't support the in-game menu therefore they don't support save states (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). I've only had a chance to try two Sega CD games so far, WWF Rage in the Cage and NBA Jam. NBA Jam seemed to work fine from what I could tell (I think someone mentioned it had problems with flash carts...?). I bought a 128gb Sandisk micro sd card so I should be able to store the entire US Sega CD library on it but I am still working on moving all the games onto the card (if I was smart I would've done this ahead of time!).

Let me know if you guys have any games or features you want me to try (other than 32X). I only have the redump Sega CD USA roms so I can't try out any JPN or EUR versions right now.
Drunk_Caterpillar

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar »

BrianC wrote:How is the Mega SD with eeprom games? I know Mega Man The Wily Wars/Rockman Megaworld had issues with the Analogue Mega SG and Everdrive X7 (not sure if the eeprom version is working correctly with the former yet), though it now works correctly with X7. NBA Jam is a problem game for flash carts, as well.
The MegaSg jailbreak firmwares have no problem with EEPROM saves as I recall. From the Jailbreak Supplement document:
Serial EEPROMs are detected with a hash table, so if you modify the games and they do not change the save type, then you won’t be able to save games. All known Serial EEPROM games are supported.
I haven't really tried any EEPROM games on my MegaSD though; the only game I would have run in to is MM:WW, but I used the community patch on that so it uses SRAM now.
Drunk_Caterpillar

Post by Drunk_Caterpillar »

New firmware being tested that allows you to use save files from other sources! I can finally transition to using the MegaSD for the majority of my games!
Terraonion wrote:MegaSD Firmware 1.03 R04 - Testers release

- Support importing raw saves from other flashcarts and from MegaSG. Just rename them to MegaSD save name in the BUP folder.
- Add RAM cheats for CD games
- Add CD+G support. Supports subchannel data in .SUB files or embedded in .BIN files (CDG track type) with either scrambled or unscrambled subchannel data.
- Add Mode 2 Form 2 sectors support to CDC. Fixes wonder library sound clips in Grolier encyclopedia.
- Allow selection of which BIOS region to use when playing Audio CD and MD+ games.
- Allow loading a BIOS for SMS games. Just place the bios in the BIOS folder, named BIOS.SMS . Running BIOS-less is still recommended as MegaSD has its own initializing code.
- Prepare firmware to support game screenshots and info
- Fix American Laser Games PCM audio channels playing at wrong times.
- Fix PCM audio channels looping not generating the proper addresses. Fixes Snatcher long random transition delays.
- Fix auto region patch priorities.
- Fix "3 ninjas kick back" black screen after game over
- Fix some transparent pixels in the bottom right TV showing pixels of the game names
- Fix Wonder Boy 3 SMS FM sound not working. Region patching will still be needed for non japanese consoles.
- Add forced seek time to more Wolfteam games
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

There was an issue on JB 7.4 with the EEPROM Wily Wars, but it has been fixed.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

I pre-ordered mine on the 8/7/19, we were told they were getting rolled out in the first week of August, I realised my order may have been later than most so wasn’t too worried when on the 10th day of August I finally received an email saying my order is getting sent to DHL via “local authorities” and this process can take up to 3 weeks, I was given a tracking number but it comes up as not found on the DHL website (received another email saying this was normal, so I guess a few people had the same and asked).

I’m never one to fret about when an order is going to come, so I’ve sat back and waited. However I am getting a little bit pissed off now, that some people have theirs and I’m still waiting on my tracking number working on the DHL site - who are these local authorities, new Spanish Inquisition? Lol

I’m also hoping I don’t take a shafting from DHL for once (I live in the UK and getting the Super NT and Mega SG over here cost half what the actual systems cost, in shipping and customs charges) as Spain is in the EU I wasn’t anticipating any customs, but no doubt DHL will find a way.

A couple more days and I think I’ll be sending an email, it’s getting a bit silly now.
Last edited by Flashman on Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KonradKlaus

Post by KonradKlaus »

I got mine on Friday. I thought shipping was end of August. I was worried about the lack of finding my tracking code, but it was a happy ending.

Now if I just had time to play all these games.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

KonradKlaus wrote:I got mine on Friday. I thought shipping was end of August. I was worried about the lack of finding my tracking code, but it was a happy ending.

Now if I just had time to play all these games.
Yeah they originally said first week of August, hence I pre-ordered early July thinking that’d be plenty of time. I see another post further up saying they aim to get all outstanding orders out by mid September so I’ll wait a week or two longer and see what happens.

Yup already loaded the entire library of games onto my huge SD card (I was shocked how expensive that was, the ones I’ve used previously for flash carts haven’t needed anywhere near as much space and have only cost about £10). Once I’ve made sure everything is running as it should I’ll eBay my Mega Everdrive X5 and recoup a bit of the money, as that’ll more or less be redundant once the Mega SD comes.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Flashman wrote:I’m also hoping I don’t take a shafting from DHL for once (I live in the UK and getting the Super NT and Mega SG over here cost half what the actual systems cost, in shipping and customs charges) as Spain is in the EU I wasn’t anticipating any customs, but no doubt DHL will find a way.
You will get charged in the neighbourhood of £55. The item shipped from Andorra, which is not in the EU.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Kez wrote:
Flashman wrote:I’m also hoping I don’t take a shafting from DHL for once (I live in the UK and getting the Super NT and Mega SG over here cost half what the actual systems cost, in shipping and customs charges) as Spain is in the EU I wasn’t anticipating any customs, but no doubt DHL will find a way.
You will get charged in the neighbourhood of £55. The item shipped from Andorra, which is not in the EU.
Yeah I was late to the party on this thread, I've been reading up. Bit of a blow that one, especially as the office move wasn't particularly made transparent during the pre-order period and no additional charges were mentioned, I expect this is a shock to a lot of people in the EU. Hey-ho I'll take the hit on that one, to be honest I'd take any word on it actually coming now, also reading up there's people who got their pre-orders in way later than me who have received theirs - TO also said the Mega SD's would be sent out in strict order of... pre-order.

All I can say is, Snatcher better be bloody amazing when I finally get to play it!
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

When I organized my folders for the games last night I put each cd of multi-cd games in their own folders, is this how it should be done or should all the files for one game (across multiple cd's) be in the same folder?

EDIT: I tried Scottie Pippen's Slam City (LOL!) and I found out it has to be the same folder.
Flashman

Post by Flashman »

Yeah I watched a YouTube video on this, not that I've tested it yet, but the Multi CD games should indeed go in one folder.
AceFan84 wrote:EDIT: I tried Scottie Pippen's Slam City (LOL!)
"You want some of this?! YOU GOT IT!!!" :lol:
muggsy

Post by muggsy »

Has any got any information with relation to rom sets to use with the Mega SD? I have access to both Darkwater and Redump sets but I wasn't sure whether there was actual much difference between the sets with relation to performance on the Mega SD. Any info would be appreciated

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk
AceFan84

Post by AceFan84 »

muggsy wrote:Has any got any information with relation to rom sets to use with the Mega SD? I have access to both Darkwater and Redump sets but I wasn't sure whether there was actual much difference between the sets with relation to performance on the Mega SD. Any info would be appreciated

I think they recommend the redump set, that's what I've been using so far with no issue (I've only tested a handful of games so far though).
RevQuixo

Post by RevQuixo »

muggsy wrote:Has any got any information with relation to rom sets to use with the Mega SD? I have access to both Darkwater and Redump sets but I wasn't sure whether there was actual much difference between the sets with relation to performance on the Mega SD. Any info would be appreciated

Redump is the way to go..I've never heard about "bad dumps" in their set, so not sure what that is about. They use pretty exacting and verifiable means in order to ensure proper dumps. Earlier groups had lax error checking.
Kez

Post by Kez »

Isn't the redump set kinda incomplete though?
Mobiusstriptech

Post by Mobiusstriptech »

Better incomplete and working than full and not working?
For mod work and questions email us at mobiusstriptech@gmail.com

Twitter: @mobiusstriptech

Youtube: MobiusStripTech

Overkill

Post by Overkill »

After getting some time into the Mega SD during the weekend I can say (customs aside) I couldn't be happier. It really works great. Only didn't like (as other users) the micro SD slot being so deep inside the cartridge making difficult to remove. It's cool to have the card not visible, but could be aligned with the plastic border. Maybe that can be corrected In later revisions. For me It won't be a issue as card will only come off when a new FW be released. I'm preparing a card that will have all my needs in terms of library.

Regarding Mega CD images, I'm using a few made by me on my PC CD reader, from my original discs, with no issues, and compared with the darkwater images it's working same way.

Now I transferred some redump, but just notice they use several bin files instead of just one. But if it's the recommended I think it won't be a problem. Going try it later. It's a small set, but have almost all the games I want.

Next step is mod my 32x to region change, It's been delayed because I just play a few games from it, but I want to try it with the Mega SD in 60hz.
RevQuixo

Post by RevQuixo »

Kez wrote:Isn't the redump set kinda incomplete though?

Nope. I dump for redump and we pretty much finished off Sega/Mega CD before the Mega SD launch. Very little missing at this point.
Rock Man

Post by Rock Man »

broken wrote:
Rock Man wrote:I haven't even received a tracking number. :( I ordered on the 8th of this month. Now I'm worried.
No reason to be worried.

We are targeting mid September to have all outstanding orders shipped by.
Thanks for the reassurance.

Just received the tracking number for my order. 8)